Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50defense

Trangender Athletes

47 posts in this topic

From the link in the OP

Beggs was born a girl, yet from as early as 3 years old, his parents remember, he has considered himself a boy. Now more than a year after starting testosterone treatment that is transforming his physical appearance and increasing muscle mass to that of or near a boy of similar age, Beggs is required by the University Interscholastic League to compete as a girl and against girls.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article135021414.html#storylink=cpy

Speaking of process, that would include a 67,000 poster "super moderator" whom I can't ever recall having a single post interest in high school sports in here now...

Maybe this issue is not a sports issue but something else.  :rolleyes:

Speaking of process, that would include a 67,000 poster "super moderator" whom I can't ever recall having a single post interest in high school sports in here now...

Maybe this issue is not a sports issue but something else.  :rolleyes:

So I can't post here?

So I can't post here?

No super moderator, do post here.  But please don't be a self-serving personal agenda or shtick Sniper or Driveby as The DayWalker has been known to characterize another.  Just understand that this is the "High School SPORTS" with emphasis on SPORT and not a social or society agenda.  Just saying....

No super moderator, do post here.  But please don't be a self-serving personal agenda or shtick Sniper or Driveby as The DayWalker has been known to characterize another.  Just understand that this is the "High School SPORTS" with emphasis on SPORT and not a social or society agenda.  Just saying....

This topic seems to be attached to a larger social and political issue. I didn't see a full run down of the Texas State wrestling champions, just this one.

I did start a topic about this over on Nationals. http://talk.baltimoresun.com/topic/279151-texas-transgender-boy-forced-to-wrestle-girls/

Thanks 50defense for the heads up.

Seems to me the larger "social and political" issue is the transgender female to male becoming the state champion rather than a male to female win that perhaps would not be so news worthy and more likely seen as an unfair advantage.

Edited by DayWalker

Actually, I'm now ALL CONFUSED of just we are talking about.....

Are we talking about a born female who transgendered to a male winning a male or female state championship?????  And in either case, were drugs taken by this athlete that could be understood to be performance enhancement????

Now these can be some devil in the details that derail the train....

Edited by DayWalker

Actually, I'm now ALL CONFUSED of just we are talking about.....

Are we talking about a born female who transgendered to a male winning a male or female state championship?????  And in either case, were drugs taken by this athlete that could be understood to be performance enhancement????

Now these can be some devil in the details that derail the train....

Yes, this is a born female transitioning to male and taking testosterone as part of the treatment for gender dysphoria. Texas' rules required him to compete as a girl against girls.

Yes, this is a born female transitioning to male and taking testosterone as part of the treatment for gender dysphoria. Texas' rules required him to compete as a girl against girls.

Okay, I better understand...  My bad on misunderstanding Beggs competed in the male ranks and won.  So I take it Beggs preferred to compete against other males or did he throughout high school compete against females?  Texas would probably have had Beggs use female rest facilities and on and on and on....  Do you know what school gender facilities Beggs used?

Okay, I better understand...  My bad on misunderstanding Beggs competed in the male ranks and won.  So I take it Beggs preferred to compete against other males or did he throughout high school compete against females?  Texas would probably have had Beggs use female rest facilities and on and on and on....  Do you know what school gender facilities Beggs used?

The rules in Texas require him to compete on girls' teams based on his birth certificate. As far as what facilities he uses, I have no idea.

The rules in Texas require him to compete on girls' teams based on his birth certificate. As far as what facilities he uses, I have no idea.

Okay, I only raised use facilities in wondering what's done during the regular school year.  I even ponder who Beggs competes against during the season and if this Texas rulling only covered the state championships?  Without great research and understanding in the matter, off the cuff I can see Beggs competing against other males BUT I would not like to see male to female transgenders competing within the female ranks.  Yes it sounds hypocritical but I don't see the level field in the latter.

Regarding the birth certificate rule, can't certificates be changed?  What if Beggs had had it changed to reflect "male born"!!!!!!

I see this is a cheating by default.  The rule requires him to compete as a girl so his choice to use PEDs should make him ineligible.  This is a case in which the issue should not be about his ability to change his chemistry but more about how that change leads to an unfair advantage.  

It said it brings his muscle and body size to a boy his age. How can that be an unfair advantage? And wrestling is done by weight class, not like a 100 Lb wrestling a 250lb

I see this is a cheating by default.  The rule requires him to compete as a girl so his choice to use PEDs should make him ineligible.  This is a case in which the issue should not be about his ability to change his chemistry but more about how that change leads to an unfair advantage.  

50D

I don't see this Beggs issue of steroid use as rendering him ineligible to compete but rather locks him in required to compete against males.

It's not cheating.

The UIL has a policy that allows banned substances for medical reasons. Beggs' school district says it shared the athlete's medical records with the UIL and that the testosterone is "well below the allowed level."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-high-schools-transgender-wrestler-spt-20170222-story.html

Mack followed the rules.

It appears to me the Texas position that Beggs compete against females is in conflict with NCAA rules that he would competing against males.  At least that's my understanding.

Matt you are correct with the intent of the rule.  I think the science related to this issue, transgendered athletes, is one that the rules have not caught up. A lean 105 pound male is stronger than the vast majority of female athletes.  

On the surface, he should compete with other boys which would require a rule change.

It appears to me the Texas position that Beggs compete against females is in conflict with NCAA rules that he would competing against males.  At least that's my understanding.

Isn't one for high school students and one for college students?

Matt you are correct with the intent of the rule.  I think the science related to this issue, transgendered athletes, is one that the rules have not caught up. A lean 105 pound male is stronger than the vast majority of female athletes.  

On the surface, he should compete with other boys which would require a rule change.

The rule was passed one year ago.  I'm not sure what was in its place, if anything, prior to that.

https://www.texasobserver.org/trans-student-athlete-uil-discrimination/

Isn't one for high school students and one for college students?

Not exactly.  One apply only for high schools in Texas and the other for all colleges across the nation.