46 replies to this topic

#1 50defense

50defense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

http://www.star-tele...e135021414.html

Interesting story of a Female State Wrestling champ who is transitioning to a boy.

Could be tested in our area soon.

#2 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,298 posts
  • LocationIn Your Worst Nightmares

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:59 AM

...And via the dialectic process within the public world, we will have to deal with it and life will move on.

#3 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,555 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:17 AM

From the link in the OP

Beggs was born a girl, yet from as early as 3 years old, his parents remember, he has considered himself a boy. Now more than a year after starting testosterone treatment that is transforming his physical appearance and increasing muscle mass to that of or near a boy of similar age, Beggs is required by the University Interscholastic League to compete as a girl and against girls.

Read more here: http://www.star-tele...l#storylink=cpy
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#4 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

Speaking of process, that would include a 67,000 poster "super moderator" whom I can't ever recall having a single post interest in high school sports in here now...

Maybe this issue is not a sports issue but something else.  :rolleyes:

#5 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,555 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:04 AM

Speaking of process, that would include a 67,000 poster "super moderator" whom I can't ever recall having a single post interest in high school sports in here now...

Maybe this issue is not a sports issue but something else.  :rolleyes:

So I can't post here?
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#6 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,555 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:13 AM

http://talk.baltimor...s/#entry6955632

http://talk.baltimor...dpost&p=6871144

http://talk.baltimor...k/#entry6871059

#7 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

So I can't post here?

No super moderator, do post here.  But please don't be a self-serving personal agenda or shtick Sniper or Driveby as The DayWalker has been known to characterize another.  Just understand that this is the "High School SPORTS" with emphasis on SPORT and not a social or society agenda.  Just saying....

#8 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,555 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

No super moderator, do post here.  But please don't be a self-serving personal agenda or shtick Sniper or Driveby as The DayWalker has been known to characterize another.  Just understand that this is the "High School SPORTS" with emphasis on SPORT and not a social or society agenda.  Just saying....

This topic seems to be attached to a larger social and political issue. I didn't see a full run down of the Texas State wrestling champions, just this one.

I did start a topic about this over on Nationals. http://talk.baltimor...-wrestle-girls/

Thanks 50defense for the heads up.

#9 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Seems to me the larger "social and political" issue is the transgender female to male becoming the state champion rather than a male to female win that perhaps would not be so news worthy and more likely seen as an unfair advantage.

Edited by DayWalker, 26 February 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#10 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

Actually, I'm now ALL CONFUSED of just we are talking about.....

Are we talking about a born female who transgendered to a male winning a male or female state championship?????  And in either case, were drugs taken by this athlete that could be understood to be performance enhancement????

Now these can be some devil in the details that derail the train....

Edited by DayWalker, 26 February 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#11 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,555 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

Actually, I'm now ALL CONFUSED of just we are talking about.....

Are we talking about a born female who transgendered to a male winning a male or female state championship?????  And in either case, were drugs taken by this athlete that could be understood to be performance enhancement????

Now these can be some devil in the details that derail the train....

Yes, this is a born female transitioning to male and taking testosterone as part of the treatment for gender dysphoria. Texas' rules required him to compete as a girl against girls.

#12 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

Yes, this is a born female transitioning to male and taking testosterone as part of the treatment for gender dysphoria. Texas' rules required him to compete as a girl against girls.

Okay, I better understand...  My bad on misunderstanding Beggs competed in the male ranks and won.  So I take it Beggs preferred to compete against other males or did he throughout high school compete against females?  Texas would probably have had Beggs use female rest facilities and on and on and on....  Do you know what school gender facilities Beggs used?

#13 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,555 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

Okay, I better understand...  My bad on misunderstanding Beggs competed in the male ranks and won.  So I take it Beggs preferred to compete against other males or did he throughout high school compete against females?  Texas would probably have had Beggs use female rest facilities and on and on and on....  Do you know what school gender facilities Beggs used?

The rules in Texas require him to compete on girls' teams based on his birth certificate. As far as what facilities he uses, I have no idea.

#14 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

The rules in Texas require him to compete on girls' teams based on his birth certificate. As far as what facilities he uses, I have no idea.

Okay, I only raised use facilities in wondering what's done during the regular school year.  I even ponder who Beggs competes against during the season and if this Texas rulling only covered the state championships?  Without great research and understanding in the matter, off the cuff I can see Beggs competing against other males BUT I would not like to see male to female transgenders competing within the female ranks.  Yes it sounds hypocritical but I don't see the level field in the latter.

Regarding the birth certificate rule, can't certificates be changed?  What if Beggs had had it changed to reflect "male born"!!!!!!

#15 50defense

50defense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

Matt and DW your points are great conversation starters.  Trans-rights are evolving daily.

#16 50defense

50defense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

I see this is a cheating by default.  The rule requires him to compete as a girl so his choice to use PEDs should make him ineligible.  This is a case in which the issue should not be about his ability to change his chemistry but more about how that change leads to an unfair advantage.  

#17 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:18 PM

It said it brings his muscle and body size to a boy his age. How can that be an unfair advantage? And wrestling is done by weight class, not like a 100 Lb wrestling a 250lb

#18 DMVFootball

DMVFootball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

This isn't a social issue.  It is a 100% PED issue.  Solve that before you start with this one.  

#19 DayWalker

DayWalker

Vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,298 posts

I see this is a cheating by default.  The rule requires him to compete as a girl so his choice to use PEDs should make him ineligible.  This is a case in which the issue should not be about his ability to change his chemistry but more about how that change leads to an unfair advantage.  

50D

I don't see this Beggs issue of steroid use as rendering him ineligible to compete but rather locks him in required to compete against males.

#20 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,555 posts

It's not cheating.

The UIL has a policy that allows banned substances for medical reasons. Beggs' school district says it shared the athlete's medical records with the UIL and that the testosterone is "well below the allowed level."

http://www.chicagotr...0222-story.html

Mack followed the rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users