Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50defense

Trangender Athletes

47 posts in this topic

Not exactly.  One apply only for high schools in Texas and the other for all colleges across the nation.

Yes, but the fact is the two organizations apply to different bodies of students.

Yes, but the fact is the two organizations apply to different bodies of students.

True, as it would be between Texas and MD, two organizations but under the National Federation.  The OP talked about the issue coming to MD.  It that to say MD has no policy nor the NFHS?

True, as it would be between Texas and MD, two organizations but under the National Federation.  The OP talked about the issue coming to MD.  It that to say MD has no policy nor the NFHS?

https://media.wix.com/ugd/2bc3fc_c27051cd7b4a48759fcc5c77e34f7fab.pdf

A. Transgender students can participate on the interscholastic athletics team of the student’s birth gender.

B. Transgender students can participate on interscholastic athletics teams of the gender that the student has transitioned to. This may be supported by medical documentation

(hormonal therapy, sexual re-assignment surgery, counseling, etc.) confirming transition of gender.

C. Transgender students may compete on the interscholastic team of the gender the student identifies with, as recognized by the local school system and established in official school system records. (This may differ from the student’s gender listed in school system records).

Is this clear enough for you or too vague or subject to misguided interpretation OR fair / not fair?

Is this clear enough for you or too vague or subject to misguided interpretation OR fair / not fair?

Maryland public schools seem to give transgender students a lot of leeway--maybe too much.

It allows counties to be flexible in terms of application.  I guess we will have to wait for the first 6'2" boy transitioning to girl to see how it tests out.  Could be big in golf as well, given the tee box rules. 

I do not think anyone is transitioning to gain athletic rewards but it could be a consequence of the student's decision. 

Get this bs off this board its cheating

How is it cheating?  Mack followed the rules.

Why are people interested in this topic? One of you posters is either a transgender person or has relative who is transgender. This is BS.

Why are people interested in this topic? One of you posters is either a transgender person or has relative who is transgender. This is BS.

I agree Guru get this bs off here

Can you guys articulate a reason why you think this is "BS"?

We've always skirted around politics on this board. One's political leanings can't help but be revealed in one's writing. However, just because the transgender youth is a wrestler doesn't mean we need to toss this political football around in a thread on the HS Sports Message board. People will respond as they want but this isn't even about Maryland youth. Baltimatt, you rarely post over here anymore and you come with this? You're going down a slippery slope. If you want to champion transgender rights do it on the National Board, please.

Baltimatt, you rarely post over here anymore and you come with this? You're going down a slippery slope. If you want to champion transgender rights do it on the National Board, please.

fyi

matt did not start the thread

fyi

matt did not start the thread

I stand corrected. I stated an alternative fact. Baltimatt still has kept this thread going with an interest that seems puzzling for a HS Sports message board. What I posted before still stands but is also directed at the author of this thread, 50Defense.

OK, so people here don't like to get into politics.  That's a better reason than "Get this BS off the board."

Still, this board is described as "Talk about high school sports", and this topic is about high school wrestling, albeit in Texas.  And it's a bit hard to get away from politics when a transboy wrestling girls and taking testosterone goes undefeated.

I have a feeling that we are all going to survive and learn to live with each other when people realize that it is highly unlikely that any of these things are ever going to impact them personally.  People spend so much time worrying about whether a baker is going to be forced to bake a cake at a gay wedding or whether a transgender athlete is going to have an unfair advantage in a meaningless athletic competition, etc.  Neither of those scenarios is likely to impact anyone.  It seems to me like the bigger issue that does impact all of us on a daily basis is whether everyone is our society feels like they are included and treated as equals so that we can bridge this divide.  The trade off is not even close.

For the record as the OP I do not have any trans- relatives that I know about.  As a person that works with student-athletes regularly I know how much time and effort they put into their athletic endeavors.  I found the article interesting from a sports perspective which of course has natural political implications.

Barriers of race, sexual orientation and disability have been shattered through sports, all of which had ripple effects on HS athletics.

I see this is a cheating by default. The rule requires him to compete as a girl so his choice to use PEDs should make him ineligible. This is a case in which the issue should not be about his ability to change his chemistry but more about how that change leads to an unfair advantage.

Should asthmatics be ineligible?

True, as it would be between Texas and MD, two organizations but under the National Federation. The OP talked about the issue coming to MD. It that to say MD has no policy nor the NFHS?

MD has coed wrestling

JT-S outstanding point

Which one?

I think what people miss with the PED thought is that a transgender transition is only taking testosterone in order to have the same amount of testosterone that a normal human male would produce.  Essentially making them hormonally a male. A normal male on Testosterone is going to have more testosterone than a person produces naturally. In fact the drug test is a ratio of testosterone to progesterone. So saying such a person should be banned for PED is like saying an asthmatic can't have an inhaler.