Photo
- - - - -

Orioles still trying to figure out leadoff hitter.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,469 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

http://www.masnsport...the-lineup.html

This is really getting beyond the point of pathetic.

Obtaining a legitimate leadoff hitter was a goal stated by the front office early in the offseason. What has Big Dan accomplished?

Nothing.

This team hasn't had a real leadoff hitter since Brian Roberts, at least 6 years ago.

They got lucky with Nick Markakis in 2012-2014, basically by throwing crap up against a wall & seeing if it sticks.

Manny Machado was not the answer in 2015.

The the free-swinging, impatient Adam Jones wasn't either in 2016.

At what point is Dan Duquette held accountable for not doing his job?

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:21 AM

Maybe Tavarez will turnout to be a leadoff hitter. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,097 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

http://www.masnsport...the-lineup.html

This is really getting beyond the point of pathetic.

Obtaining a legitimate leadoff hitter was a goal stated by the front office early in the offseason. What has Big Dan accomplished?

Nothing.

This team hasn't had a real leadoff hitter since Brian Roberts, at least 6 years ago.

They got lucky with Nick Markakis in 2012-2014, basically by throwing crap up against a wall & seeing if it sticks.

Manny Machado was not the answer in 2015.

The the free-swinging, impatient Adam Jones wasn't either in 2016.

At what point is Dan Duquette held accountable for not doing his job?

Who was available?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#4 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,469 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

?????

Big Dan said it was a PRIORITY to obtain one. He didn't. Failure for the fifth straight year.

#5 russsnyder

russsnyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

I think the situation takes care of itself if Rickard makes the team out of camp as Kim's platoon partner.

This way Kim can lead off against righties and Rickard can lead off against lefties.

The Orioles may not have a prototypical leadoff hitter, but I think they can cobble together a decent

leadoff hitter by utilizing what they have,.

By reding Buck';s comments in the article I don;t think that He is that concerned about it.

#6 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

Maybe Tavarez will turnout to be a leadoff hitter. 

I think this is possible, especially now that Bourn is out with a broken finger.  Don't count out Gentry either.  He is already drawing raves from Buck for his defense.  I like Rickard too, but he has options and could be stashed at AAA.  I know this was 3 years ago, but when Gentry was healthy with the Rangers in almost 300ABs he had a .373 OBP with 24 steals.  Kim better bring his A game this spring cause Buck ain't much of a fan.

#7 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

Joey Rickard now that Bourn is injured.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

Joey Rickard now that Bourn is injured.

Keeping in mind that all these decisions will be made as ST plays out, the thinking is that Rickard is expected to go down to Norfolk, since he has options. The two rule 5 guys and Gentry will be given priority, just so the team can keep them. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

Keeping in mind that all these decisions will be made as ST plays out, the thinking is that Rickard is expected to go down to Norfolk, since he has options. The two rule 5 guys and Gentry will be given priority, just so the team can keep them. 

Yep.  With all the LH OFs , Gentry or Rickard almost have to make the team and I think its Gentry unless he is just terrible.  Smith should be a lock in RF.  If Bourn was healthy, Tavarez and Kim would be uncomfortable.

#10 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,855 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:15 PM

Kim deserves a real shot to be the leadoff hitter, not to mention a real shot against southpaws. Unlike the large majority of his teammates, he's not afraid to take a pitch and make a pitcher work. And while Kim lacks speed, he is a smart baserunner.

As for Big Dan, he should be accountable for everything, including the fact that his team wins more than any other in the league.
Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

Kim deserves a real shot to be the leadoff hitter, not to mention a real shot against southpaws. Unlike the large majority of his teammates, he's not afraid to take a pitch and make a pitcher work. And while Kim lacks speed, he is a smart baserunner.

As for Big Dan, he should be accountable for everything, including the fact that his team wins more than any other in the league.

I agree that Kim deserves the chance to prove he can be a complete player (meaning that he can hit RH & LH pitching). The O's aren't a base running team, so I'm not going to waste my energy ranting on that topic. But working the count gives everyone following him, an early look at what pitches the opposition has working that night. If they discover that they have a speedy place setter to lead off, I think Kim slots perfectly into the #2 position. I liken him to Vizquel. He'll take a pitch, hit the pitch, where it's pitched, he'll go the other way.   

#12 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

Agree, but I can see Buck moving the checkers around in LF and RF all year.  He loves to tinker. It will give Buck and DD something to mess with other than the long relief spot.

#13 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,323 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

cough**Brett Gardner**cough

:)
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#14 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:19 AM

cough**Brett Gardner**cough

:)

His name came up in trade rumors more than once this winter. However, he's also 34 and due some $23 million over the next two years, so I don't see the Orioles being in the mix.

#15 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,504 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

Whoever has the best OBP, and that is Kim.

#16 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

Keep in mind, Rickard brings a dimension to thus team that's sorely lackinf: the ability to steal bases.

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:53 AM

Keep in mind, Rickard brings a dimension to thus team that's sorely lackinf: the ability to steal bases.

Tavarez is also a speedy basestealer. 

#18 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

Whoever has the best OBP, and that is Kim.

I watched one of Kim's ABs yesterday and this guy can just flat out hit.  His bat looks super quick.  Roped a hard down cutter into RF.  He got thrown out at second, but what the heck.  Just as long as he is getting 400-50ABs this year I'll be happy.

#19 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,187 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:39 PM

I agree that Kim deserves the chance to prove he can be a complete player (meaning that he can hit RH & LH pitching). The O's aren't a base running team, so I'm not going to waste my energy ranting on that topic. But working the count gives everyone following him, an early look at what pitches the opposition has working that night. If they discover that they have a speedy place setter to lead off, I think Kim slots perfectly into the #2 position. I liken him to Vizquel. He'll take a pitch, hit the pitch, where it's pitched, he'll go the other way.

Agree with this and also why I didn't like Jones at all in the leadoff spot. Drove me crazy with his first pitch swinging at balls out of the strike zone to start games or innings. Need a guy who can work the count in that role

Edited by BayAreaBmore, 28 February 2017 - 02:39 PM.

#20 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,248 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

One thing I've never truly grasped is the major importance placed on the position of "leadoff" hitter. It's a fact they lead off in the first inning every game. After that, they may not lead off another inning.

Trust me, I understand the rationale. I just don't get how much fans sweat over something that is only guaranteed once a game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users