Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Orioles still trying to figure out leadoff hitter.

62 posts in this topic

A few thoughts/ points regarding leadoff hitters.

Good leadoff hitters tend to set the tone for the rest of the lineup by working at bats and getting on base. And what better way to start a game off then by having the first batter of the game make the pitcher work, get on base, maybe into scoring position (speed comes in handy here) and then potentially getting brought around to score in the first inning.

That's the next point, again, you want a leadoff guy who can get on base for your #2 hitter who typically is one of the top two hitters on the team and then for the power hitting run producers in the #3 and #4 spots.

Having a 'traditional' type leadoff hitter doesn't have as much to do with starting off the game or inning as it does setting the table for the #2, #3, #4 hitters in the lineup regardless of how many outs there are.

Lastly, mathematically the leadoff hitter in a lineup will have the most at bats every game, so again, you want a guy who can get on base and get into scoring position for your best hitters and RBI producers.

I think that your description is an accurate one of a typical "good leadoff hitter."

While the Orioles did not acquire a typical leadoff hitter like the Nationals did with Adam Eaton, my hope is that Kim is given every opportunity to

take over the role. He has a high OBP, however, he does lack speed. While Showalter is not a big stolen base guy, I do think that it is important

to have some one who works counts and can get on base more often with the extra AB's. 

Unless you're the current Orioles where the lineup typically goes 9 up 9 down to start the game. I'm not being sarcastic here I'd be shocked if another team did this more often than the Orioles have over the last few years.

I agree, the Orioles seem to have more quiet innings where they see less than 15 pitches than any other team that I have watched.

So, from what I'm reading here from "real" Oriole fans, it's ok that Big Dan and Peter Angelos haven't addressed the leadoff hitter void, even though the Front Office has identified it as a "priority."

I guess that's fine, it's been 17 years since Peter Angelos was too cheap too pay Mike Mussina & we haven't had a real ace since.

I had to go back and read all the prior posts, and I didn't see anyone say that it's ok that the lead off batter hole hasn't been addressed. And what does Mussina have to do with this conversation?

One thing I've never truly grasped is the major importance placed on the position of "leadoff" hitter. It's a fact they lead off in the first inning every game. After that, they may not lead off another inning.

Trust me, I understand the rationale. I just don't get how much fans sweat over something that is only guaranteed once a game.

You want your best hitters to get the most AB's. That's hitters 1-3.

Duquette tried to get Fowler. Who knows what happened but he would have been an amazing lead off hitter here. But Kim would be a solid leadoff hitter but I wonder if Buck will do that with him. Buck seems to be a very traditional manager in many regards but also does some unconventional things like refusing to put your best OBP in the leadoff spot and letting him play against LHP. He seems to be very hesitant to put Kim into an everyday role last year and I wonder if he'll use him more than he did in 2016. IMO, Kim is able to face LHP and knows the strike zone better than any other hitter on the team. He seems more pitches and makes pitchers work. He may not have speed but no one on the team aside from Rickard and Bourn (injured) have speed and neither have the OBP to be good leadoff men. Perhaps Rickard could be one in a platoon. Kim is the leadoff guy...he's been here for a year. 

Edited by Pickle20

Good leadoff hitters tend to set the tone for the rest of the lineup by working at bats and getting on base. And what better way to start a game off then by having the first batter of the game make the pitcher work, get on base, maybe into scoring position (speed comes in handy here) and then potentially getting brought around to score in the first inning.

That's the next point, again, you want a leadoff guy who can get on base for your #2 hitter who typically is one of the top two hitters on the team and then for the power hitting run producers in the #3 and #4 spots.

Having a 'traditional' type leadoff hitter doesn't have as much to do with starting off the game or inning as it does setting the table for the #2, #3, #4 hitters in the lineup regardless of how many outs there are.

Lastly, mathematically the leadoff hitter in a lineup will have the most at bats every game, so again, you want a guy who can get on base and get into scoring position for your best hitters and RBI producers.

Send this to press. It's ready to be printed in the edition of the manager's handbook

One thing I've never truly grasped is the major importance placed on the position of "leadoff" hitter. It's a fact they lead off in the first inning every game. After that, they may not lead off another inning.

Trust me, I understand the rationale. I just don't get how much fans sweat over something that is only guaranteed once a game.

Buck made this point at least once last year.  However, I think BayArea's points in post #25 refute this idea very nicely.  

I believe simply leading off the game is important enough.

The O's don't seem to very often get off to a quick start.

Other than R.A. Dickey, I can't think of another pitcher that the O's jump out of the gate and pound on.

I'm with you. I don't get it either. I would love to see the stats of first ABs to see if there's anything there around the league.

I had to go back and read all the prior posts, and I didn't see anyone say that it's ok that the lead off batter hole hasn't been addressed. And what does Mussina have to do with this conversation?

It doesn't, I was simply pointing out that the Front Office is still...after 17 years...looking for an ace to lead the pitching staff :)

It doesn't, I was simply pointing out that the Front Office is still...after 17 years...looking for an ace to lead the pitching staff :)

Chris Tillman says hi

DD and Buck should be made to write this post on the black board 100 times.  Maybe they would get it then.  Amen Bay Man.

It just seems odd to bring that into the discussion. It's almost like you're trying to find things to complain about. 

Edited by weird-O

God. You are a miserable person.

I know Kim is one of our best options at lead-off, but how nice would it be to have some speed at the top along with the high OBP and low Ks.  I don't remember where Bourn hit last year in the line-up, but when he was in there it was a jolt of life to the line-up.  We actually manufactured some runs with some SBs and sacrifices. It would be nice if we could get that again from Rickard, Tavarez or Bourn when healthy.

Rickard vs LHP .367 OBP

Kim vs RHP .393 OBP

The O's don't steal many bases, and don't really need to. Just get some guys on base for the power guys.

Edited by Pickle20

Rickard vs LHP .367 OBP

Kim vs RHP .393 OBP

The O's don't steal many bases, and don't really need to. Just get some guys on base for the power guys.

That would work at the top as a platoon.  I like Rickards speed.  How many times did we see last year where we did not score from second on a hit to the OF?  Way too many.   Speed isn't just about stealing bases.

That would work at the top as a platoon.  I like Rickards speed.  How many times did we see last year where we did not score from second on a hit to the OF?  Way too many.   Speed isn't just about stealing bases.

And sometimes a player has great speed, and can't run the bases for nothing. We call that "David Lough-ing the base path"

And sometimes a player has great speed, and can't run the bases for nothing. We call that "David Lough-ing the base path"

No doubt.  Lough was terrible and Felix Pie was even worse.  On the flip side a guy like Markakis wasn't fast but a very good base runner.  I think the point being is that this team for the last 4 or 5 years is strictly a station to station offense.  Its won a pile of games, but has come up short in the playoffs A little change up wouldn't hurt.  I'm hoping Rickard, Tavarez and/or Bourn can give us that little jump on maybe manufacturing some runs when the power dries up.  Really sick of all the games we lose because we only score 0-2 runs.  Then we score 10.  Whoopee.  It still only counts for one win.

I'd rather someone be a smart base runner than be a speedy guy.

Something tells me that Kim more than held his own against LHP overseas.

Again, it's all about giving him a fair opportunity to prove himself in spring training. But we all know that Buck didn't exactly do that for Kim this time last year.