Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DreadPirateRoberts

Middletown football coach Kevin Lynott has resigned

20 posts in this topic

Greg Swatek‏ @greg_swatek  

Middletown football coach Kevin Lynott has resigned, citing a change of responsibilities within the school

Greg Swatek‏ @greg_swatek  

Lynott led Middletown to its first three state championships in football from 2011-13, including 36 wins in a row. More in tomorrow's FNP

https://twitter.com/greg_swatek

Edited by DreadPirateRoberts

I am not sure why Coach Lynott stepped down, but I just read an interesting article about experienced successful coaches stepping down.  I am thinking Coach Strunk, Coach Lynott,and there are more I am sure.

http://www.highschoolot.com/the-coaching-crisis-why-we-continue-to-lose-good-coaches/16550420/

I know this form we can be hard on coaches, and sometimes we deserve it, but there is more to high school athletics. 

“In the beginning of February, I was informed through my superiors that my current teaching position was being excessed and the job qualifications were being changed for the future,” Lynott said in a letter to his players and the community.

That news led Lynott to pursue another job within in the building.

“Last Friday, I took advantage of that opportunity, interviewed and now have accepted a new position that my superiors have told me is going to require new responsibilities and be more demanding of my time after school,” he said.

Thus, Lynott was forced to step down as football coach. Instead of being a student support teacher at Middletown, he will now work as a college and career readiness teacher. He met with the team Tuesday morning to tell them about his decision.

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/sports/level/high_school/lynott-resigns-as-middletown-s-football-coach/article_1111d9e3-8d59-53d7-a4e6-9ae86147f000.html

I am not sure why Coach Lynott stepped down, but I just read an interesting article about experienced successful coaches stepping down.  I am thinking Coach Strunk, Coach Lynott,and there are more I am sure.

http://www.highschoolot.com/the-coaching-crisis-why-we-continue-to-lose-good-coaches/16550420/

I know this form we can be hard on coaches, and sometimes we deserve it, but there is more to high school athletics. 

Nice article

Knights keep it in family, name Delauter football coach

Middletown High School’s new varsity football coach is barely old enough to drink alcohol legally and still refers to his predecessor in the job as Coach Lynott.

At the age of 22, Collin Delauter takes over his “dream job.”

His entire family on both sides, dating back centuries, is from Middletown. He grew up playing football in the Middletown Valley Athletic Association. He was a waterboy for the Knights’ 2002 appearance in a state championship game, and he was a linebacker and fullback for Middletown’s first state championship team in 2011.

What are they thinking?

I am guessing they are thinking that someone that can be there for a very long time. 

2a West, he's in the mix with Walkersville, Damascus, Seneca Valley and Oakdale. Talking about being thrown into the frying pan. Lots of luck to the young man.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:42 PM, ShoNuff07 said:

I am guessing they are thinking that someone that can be there for a very long time. 

I am thinking that nobody else applied for the job to be honest.  Doesn't live in the area any longer, so it isn't like he has "been around the program" recently.  I guess the school system doesn't have one of those union oriented requirements to offer the job to a current faculty member first.  Which is a good thing.  Look what that does to MoCo. I also get the "keep it in the family" aspect of places like this.  And the family is very deep in the area.  But this is a little off the charts from a football perspective.  That being said, if the former coach is still going to be in the building and around the program, this might only be a head coach in name kind of thing where he is getting tons of guidance from Lynott until he gets his feet under him.   If  they are going to do this, they better do it as a community.  When the kid makes a mistake or they lose a game they should have won (because both are going to happen) they better have his back. 

On 2/28/2017 at 3:24 PM, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Geesh

I really wish the young man nothing but the best. Expectations I am sure are high there. I hope the community backs him up

5 hours ago, DMVFootball said:

I am thinking that nobody else applied for the job to be honest.  Doesn't live in the area any longer, so it isn't like he has "been around the program" recently.  I guess the school system doesn't have one of those union oriented requirements to offer the job to a current faculty member first.  Which is a good thing.  Look what that does to MoCo.

What does it do to MoCo?

Edited by nomad974

23 hours ago, nomad974 said:

What does it do to MoCo?

Prevents a school from bringing in a coach they might want - and who wants to be there - until the right of first refusal for is extinguished within the building and then the system from what I understand.  I am pretty sure that is what happened at Churchill to Willie the last time around.

4 hours ago, DMVFootball said:

Prevents a school from bringing in a coach they might want - and who wants to be there - until the right of first refusal for is extinguished within the building and then the system from what I understand.  I am pretty sure that is what happened at Churchill to Willie the last time around.

Technically, yes.  Realistically, no.

From what ive seen, if a school wants a specific coach they can make it happen.  Whether they are in the building or not.  

However, the most recent cases of coaches who were not in building or non members of MCPS, hasnt worked out to well.  Too many things slipping through the cracks.