Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

7 Baltimore officers to be federally indicted for racketeering including robbing victims

74 posts in this topic

Aside from the problems with knockers and the racketeering, how did some of these cops double their pay through OT without raising a red flag and it not being reviewed by Davis or brought to his attention? One of the cops earned OT when he was out of the state on vacation.

They need more than an independent audit. They need a complete independent review. It might be time for the Feds to have a closer and in-depth look at the department and what goes on.

These seven are going to be responsible for many cases being tossed out and might even be responsible for innocent people being set up.

They need a thorough and independent investigation. This has the potential to turn up a lot beneath the surface if they follow it through like they should.

Aside from the problems with knockers and the racketeering, how did some of these cops double their pay through OT without raising a red flag and it not being reviewed by Davis or brought to his attention? One of the cops earned OT when he was out of the state on vacation.

They need more than an independent audit. They need a complete independent review. It might be time for the Feds to have a closer and in-depth look at the department and what goes on.

These seven are going to be responsible for many cases being tossed out and might even be responsible for innocent people being set up.

They need a thorough and independent investigation. This has the potential to turn up a lot beneath the surface if they follow it through like they should.

They have already started dropping cases that THE 7 are witnesses and there testimony is key. Others with more tangable evidence are being reviewed. My guess is most will also be tossed. The prosecutors are not going to be willing to go in with one arm tied behind their back as the first thing any good defeance lawyer is going to do is say the case was tainted by on of THE 7.

Even if it wasn't....even if he/she says in in court and the judge says to ignore/strike the statement. The damage is done....the jury heard it. Party over.

So what is it like 200 cases they are DIRECTLY involved with. How many were they consulted on by other offices. Again tainting those.

So on top of THE 7 ripping off the city for overtime. Now they are going to force the city to spend all sorts of time and money picking through pending cases. And after all these wonderful lawbreakers get out. ..... How much time money and resources were wasted to put them behind bars. And how many of these criminals will be out on the street IN MASS. To cause more mayhem.

Ohhhhh.... and I can't wait for the lawsuits filed by the criminals for unlawful ....whatever.

Shhheesssh

Like I said nuke....start over.

I like you am trying to parse this out.

But I think the overtime was a 'freebie'. That the feds are involved probably due to THE 7 being on that special task force and were working with the feds...even if it was only for warrants for wiretaps ...well that is all it takes.

For guys to be so bright The 7 I mean. I think it was pretty dumb of them to be bragging about overtime over a secure line during surveillance.

I hear Pugh is calling for an immediate audit. I would imagine she'll get it. And a LOT of commanders that wink winked Okaying OT are going to be looking for other jobs.

I was looking at what these guys get as base pay then OT .....I am what what? I fully realize that the people in blue put their lives on the line. But avg near 100000 a year and most have only a HS education....and teachers get paid less than 1/2. And face it ....in BC schools many are also putting their lives on the line also.

If it wouldn't be so messy I think they should nuke BC and start over.

Thanks, if the supposed overtime fraud occurred on the federal task force dime that would make sense for it being part of the federal charges discussion ....

Posted (edited)

Thanks, if the supposed overtime fraud occurred on the federal task force dime that would make sense for it being part of the federal charges discussion ....

I just had another thought. I don't think it would be a stretch to think that due to the Feds coming in and reviewing BCPD ...that while doing so... a LOT of what the blip is this came out. Come to think of it mentally running through the timelines.... I am pretty sure that the investigation of The 7 started not to long after the Feds started looking at the PD.

Things that make you go HHHHhhhhhmmmmmm! :lol:

Even further explains the Feds involvement.

Yah know....maybe our former mayor was sharper than we think. I think that maybe she knew about all this sort of shxt. And also knew she could NEVER get any real traction/results locally. SSSSsssoooo call in the Feds and hope for the best. Very shrewd.

Edited by Guido2

I heard on the news that an 8th member of the police department has been suspended administratively, not for something criminal but for something else related to the 7 officers. Want to bet it was someone who was either very lax about reviewing overtime reports (incompetence) or was intentionally ignoring it for these guys (which could end up being a criminal indictment for aiding in defraduing the city). 

I heard on the news that an 8th member of the police department has been suspended administratively, not for something criminal but for something else related to the 7 officers. Want to bet it was someone who was either very lax about reviewing overtime reports (incompetence) or was intentionally ignoring it for these guys (which could end up being a criminal indictment for aiding in defraduing the city). 

I was listening to WBAL-AM earlier today and there were statements made between Brian K's show's breaks that there are more arrests upcoming.

What these guys did was illegal and they must pay with their freedom. At breakfast today, there was the Baltimore Sun on my table. After reading the sports, I glanced the front page and read the top story. It's clear the Sun, and especially Justin Fenton, have a hatred for law enforcement. Even though I agree with blasting these rogue officers, I can still see the bias of the Sun.

Posted (edited)

Yah think DiNozzo?

And I am pretty much sure there will be a reverse flow up the chain of command as the investigation progresses.

Now I don't know about BCPD and its pay accounting methods. But where I worked, your section sergeant had to sign off on your activity record, then passed that to and accounting officer who signed off, then depending (like outrageous overtime) the chief had to review and sign off before passing it onto to the check cutters.

I would imagine that there more than a few that are sweating it right now.

Bottom line and obvious to me. In very simple terms, How does an officer nearly make 1/2 or more of his base salary in OT AND NO ONE NOTICES???? Or is this yet another corruption pimple that has come up that has been part of the BCPD makeup for years.

I unfortunately, I think that last sentence is all too true.

Edited by Guido2

Yah think DiNozzo?

And I am pretty much sure there will be a reverse flow up the chain of command as the investigation progresses.

Now I don't know about BCPD and its pay accounting methods. But where I worked, your section sergeant had to sign off on your activity record, then passed that to and accounting officer who signed off, then depending (like outrageous overtime) the chief had to review and sign off before passing it onto to the check cutters.

I would imagine that there more than a few that are sweating it right now.

What does the Baltimore County Police Department have to do with this? Do you mean BPD?

What does the Baltimore County Police Department have to do with this? Do you mean BPD?

OK yah got me.... I always mess that up.

Yes...THE BALTIMORE CITY POLICE DEPT. AKA BPD. My bad. Before I die I hope I get that right.

Posted (edited)

What these guys did was illegal and they must pay with their freedom. At breakfast today, there was the Baltimore Sun on my table. After reading the sports, I glanced the front page and read the top story. It's clear the Sun, and especially Justin Fenton, have a hatred for law enforcement. Even though I agree with blasting these rogue officers, I can still see the bias of the Sun.

Yes blast the rouge cops for sure. But....hmmm....as I stated earlier.....if the threads really start to unravel....there may not be any cops in the BPD  left. :lol::o At least those from the 'pre-fed-review' guard. 

See matt I got the letters right this time. ;):lol:

Oh and if one does not see bias in the Sun....that persons name HAS to be Helen Keller.

Edited by Guido2

so I read the indictment this morning, thanks Matt......

there is some pretty egregious behavior in there but the majority of the 34 counts were on the overtime fraud, counts 11-34 ......

so I finally found the answer to my question as to why the OT was being pursued as federal charges instead of local theft or even administrative or personnel charges ......

The charges are described as interstate wire fraud since the alleged fraudulent time sheets were "transmitted via interstate electronic wires to ADP, the company that managed the BDP payroll.......

Detective Daniel Hersl again denied release.

[Assistant US Attorney Leo] Wise also said that last August, Hersl and other officers engaged in an unsanctioned high-speed pursuit of a vehicle that ended in a crash.

"When the vehicle crashed, Defendant Hersl and his co-defendants did not come to the aid of the vehicle occupant," prosecutors wrote. Instead, they said the officers drove to a nearby location and watched until someone else called emergency responders to the scene of the accident.

To cover up their involvement in the pursuit, prosecutors said, Hersl told the other officers to make false claims on their time and attendance sheets so it would not look like they were working.

Hersl's brother Matt was killed in 2013 when a vehicle pursued by police crashed near City Hall.

Detective Daniel Hersl again denied release.

Hersl's brother Matt was killed in 2013 when a vehicle pursued by police crashed near City Hall.

The guy that worked at City Hall and walked outside for lunch or something.

This piece of crap cop is his brother!? And he leaves injured people in a crashed car...

Wow. After reading the indictments all I can say is wow. Unbelievable and shocking to say the least. These 7 Officers are screwed. Months of wiretaps and surveillance. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure the Feds have more to produce. These cops dishonored the badge and the good men and women of the police department. I hope the department can recover from this. I just read that the rest of the members of the Operations Unit have all be sent back into uniform to work cars.  

Wow. After reading the indictments all I can say is wow. Unbelievable and shocking to say the least. These 7 Officers are screwed. Months of wiretaps and surveillance. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure the Feds have more to produce. These cops dishonored the badge and the good men and women of the police department. I hope the department can recover from this. I just read that the rest of the members of the Operations Unit have all be sent back into uniform to work cars.  

Excellent post, Sir.

Posted (edited)

I read in the Sun; (pg 4) today that Davis ordered the reduction of most all special units by about 30%, The commander of the ring leader...was demoted to leut. and shipped out. He also is calling for big time audits of everything.....didn't even wait for the Mayor. Which was within his job description.

Maybe be a smaller group of cops....in the end. And a better group. From experience; the old saying of 'one rotten apple spoils....' is very true. The bad rot the good cops.

If a big shakedown comes....and I think Davis is the man to do it........BC could turn around.

Here is hoping! And I really mean that ..........................

Edited by Guido2

I read in the Sun; (pg 4) today that Davis ordered the reduction of most all special units by about 30%, The commander of the ring leader...was demoted to leut. and shipped out. He also is calling for big time audits of everything.....didn't even wait for the Mayor. Which was within his job description.

Maybe be a smaller group of cops....in the end. And a better group. From experience; the old saying of 'one rotten apple spoils....' is very true. The bad rot the good cops.

If a big shakedown comes....and I think Davis is the man to do it........BC could turn around.

Here is hoping! And I really mean that ..........................

Ive lost my confidence in Davis. Right now he's just grasping at straws for the sake of keeping his job. I get that he's trying to do some damage control but completely getting rid of plainclothes officers is not the way to go. Im just really happy that Im not a resident of Baltimore anymore. The summer is right around the corner and without officers proactively policing the neighborhoods, Davis gave the streets right back to the hoodlums. They have now gained a significant advantage on committing more crimes. If this was a chess game, Davis would surely lose. 

Ive lost my confidence in Davis. Right now he's just grasping at straws for the sake of keeping his job. I get that he's trying to do some damage control but completely getting rid of plainclothes officers is not the way to go. Im just really happy that Im not a resident of Baltimore anymore. The summer is right around the corner and without officers proactively policing the neighborhoods, Davis gave the streets right back to the hoodlums. They have now gained a significant advantage on committing more crimes. If this was a chess game, Davis would surely lose.

They are proactively policing the neighborhoods.

The plainclothes that he put in uniform are in cars. They are very visible.

However, there's most likely going to be more than the 7.

They are proactively policing the neighborhoods.

The plainclothes that he put in uniform are in cars. They are very visible.

However, there's most likely going to be more than the 7.

Do you really believe that those officers he just put in cars are really going to "proactively" police the neighborhood? The significant rise in crime over the last 2 years disagrees with your notion. 

Do you really believe that those officers he just put in cars are really going to "proactively" police the neighborhood? The significant rise in crime over the last 2 years disagrees with your notion.

My notion?

I'm not talking about the last 2 years...I'm talking about the "cleansing" and restructuring going on now.

good on davis for dissolving the plainclothes unit.  its a sad situation when the local residents have more to fear from the police force 'protecting' them than anyone else

My notion?

I'm not talking about the last 2 years...I'm talking about the "cleansing" and restructuring going on now.

Im not talking about the last two years either, but since you mentioned it...there are less police on the streets now than there was two years ago. The surge in crime (not just one type of crime, but all crimes) has increased significantly in the last two years. One of my neighbors is a city officer and he stated that practically every district only has 8 officers on the midnight shift. Prior to 2015, there were 20 officers per shift. Do the math, that's 2-3 officers patrolling sections of a district. How can 8 officers "proactively" patrol the streets and be "visible"? If a shooting occurs, that whole district is down for several hours.