Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

7 Baltimore officers to be federally indicted for racketeering including robbing victims

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

i was listening to Public Radio around 1 today. And they were talking about the cops. Well they had Jane Miller WBAL....and she said something  interesting.....

Where is Pugh on this....this story broke at 4 ....she should have called a conference by 5.

'

Or something like this...

Has anyone heard anything?

#42 PinkFlamingo

PinkFlamingo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:20 PM

i was listening to Public Radio around 1 today. And they were talking about the cops. Well they had Jane Miller WBAL....and she said something interesting.....
Where is Pugh on this....this story broke at 4 ....she should have called a conference by 5.
'
Or something like this...

Has anyone heard anything?

Probably this:
Bill for city to control BPD to be withdrawn http://www.abc2news....-moving-forward

#43 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,167 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:36 PM

Still trying to figure out what this case is all about .....

The overtime dollars grab everyone's attention but is that really a federal crime? ......

That's serious stuff but figured that was admistrative or local violation ....

The overtime charges get people's attention but that's not why they are holding them without bail.....

What's the crux of the federal charges against each of the officers.....

A link explaining all the charges without all the drama thats in most of the articles would be appreciated .....

Edited by Eastside Terp, 03 March 2017 - 11:38 PM.

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#44 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,618 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:53 AM

The overtime dollars grab everyone's attention but is that really a federal crime? ......
The overtime charges get people's attention but that's not why they are holding them without bail.....
A link explaining all the charges without all the drama thats in most of the articles would be appreciated .....

I thought it was primarily about racketeering, robbing people, filing false reports, and covering for one another.

http://www.nola.com/...ce_officer.html
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#45 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,333 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

racketeering, these guys were running an organized crime outfit like the mob.
Also would you really want them to be investigated by the city?

Edited by genghiskhanraven, 04 March 2017 - 08:23 AM.

#46 overtaxed

overtaxed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

I thought it was primarily about racketeering, robbing people, filing false reports, and covering for one another.

Pretty much.

Now I haven't stayed in a holiday inn express for a while but I do watch law and order. 

So what about all the people these aholes put in jail.  Won't most, if not all, be wanting a new trial and then start suing the city or state or whatever agency these fools worked for.

#47 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,167 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

Even that article AL the way from new Orleans is short on specifics on all the officers and plays up the overtime angle .....

Has a couple specific robbery charges against one of two officers and then talks is general term ....

Matt, since these are federal charges they are on MD judicial web site......

Do you know where they are? ......

Back to my original question about is ot abuse part of a federal case?
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#48 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

Probably this:
Bill for city to control BPD to be withdrawn http://www.abc2news....-moving-forward

Yes I read that this morning. They (city politicians) figured out the meaning of With great power comes great responsibility.

They figured out that when the city has an ahh shxt moment like this one ....it will be FOR THEM to figure out....not the state.

They will probably figure out that out also when the Mayor has full access and control of the schools...provided the bill goes through. Hope it does....let them deal with it.

#49 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

I like you am trying to parse this out.

But I think the overtime was a 'freebie'. That the feds are involved probably due to THE 7 being on that special task force and were working with the feds...even if it was only for warrants for wiretaps ...well that is all it takes.

For guys to be so bright The 7 I mean. I think it was pretty dumb of them to be bragging about overtime over a secure line during surveillance.

I hear Pugh is calling for an immediate audit. I would imagine she'll get it. And a LOT of commanders that wink winked Okaying OT are going to be looking for other jobs.

I was looking at what these guys get as base pay then OT .....I am what what? I fully realize that the people in blue put their lives on the line. But avg near 100000 a year and most have only a HS education....and teachers get paid  less than 1/2. And face it ....in BC schools many are also putting their lives on the line also.

If it wouldn't be so messy I think they should nuke BC and start over.

#50 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,618 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

Even that article AL the way from new Orleans is short on specifics on all the officers and plays up the overtime angle .....
Has a couple specific robbery charges against one of two officers and then talks is general term ....
Matt, since these are federal charges they are on MD judicial web site......
Do you know where they are? ......
Back to my original question about is ot abuse part of a federal case?

I don't think this would show up on Maryland Case Search.

Here's a link to the indictment: http://www.baltimore...-htmlstory.html
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#51 Ode2Joy

Ode2Joy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationZentralfriedhof

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

Aside from the problems with knockers and the racketeering, how did some of these cops double their pay through OT without raising a red flag and it not being reviewed by Davis or brought to his attention? One of the cops earned OT when he was out of the state on vacation.

They need more than an independent audit. They need a complete independent review. It might be time for the Feds to have a closer and in-depth look at the department and what goes on.

These seven are going to be responsible for many cases being tossed out and might even be responsible for innocent people being set up.

They need a thorough and independent investigation. This has the potential to turn up a lot beneath the surface if they follow it through like they should.

#52 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

Aside from the problems with knockers and the racketeering, how did some of these cops double their pay through OT without raising a red flag and it not being reviewed by Davis or brought to his attention? One of the cops earned OT when he was out of the state on vacation.

They need more than an independent audit. They need a complete independent review. It might be time for the Feds to have a closer and in-depth look at the department and what goes on.

These seven are going to be responsible for many cases being tossed out and might even be responsible for innocent people being set up.

They need a thorough and independent investigation. This has the potential to turn up a lot beneath the surface if they follow it through like they should.

They have already started dropping cases that THE 7 are witnesses and there testimony is key. Others with more tangable evidence are being reviewed. My guess is most will also be tossed. The prosecutors are not going to be willing to go in with one arm tied behind their back as the first thing any good defeance lawyer is going to do is say the case was tainted by on of THE 7.

Even if it wasn't....even if he/she says in in court and the judge says to ignore/strike the statement. The damage is done....the jury heard it. Party over.

So what is it like 200 cases they are DIRECTLY involved with. How many were they consulted on by other offices. Again tainting those.

So on top of THE 7 ripping off the city for overtime. Now they are going to force the city to spend all sorts of time and money picking through pending cases. And after all these wonderful lawbreakers get out. ..... How much time money and resources were wasted to put them behind bars. And how many of these criminals will be out on the street IN MASS. To cause more mayhem.

Ohhhhh.... and I can't wait for the lawsuits filed by the criminals for unlawful ....whatever.

Shhheesssh

Like I said nuke....start over.

#53 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,167 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

I like you am trying to parse this out.
But I think the overtime was a 'freebie'. That the feds are involved probably due to THE 7 being on that special task force and were working with the feds...even if it was only for warrants for wiretaps ...well that is all it takes.
For guys to be so bright The 7 I mean. I think it was pretty dumb of them to be bragging about overtime over a secure line during surveillance.

I hear Pugh is calling for an immediate audit. I would imagine she'll get it. And a LOT of commanders that wink winked Okaying OT are going to be looking for other jobs.

I was looking at what these guys get as base pay then OT .....I am what what? I fully realize that the people in blue put their lives on the line. But avg near 100000 a year and most have only a HS education....and teachers get paid less than 1/2. And face it ....in BC schools many are also putting their lives on the line also.

If it wouldn't be so messy I think they should nuke BC and start over.

Thanks, if the supposed overtime fraud occurred on the federal task force dime that would make sense for it being part of the federal charges discussion ....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#54 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

Thanks, if the supposed overtime fraud occurred on the federal task force dime that would make sense for it being part of the federal charges discussion ....

I just had another thought. I don't think it would be a stretch to think that due to the Feds coming in and reviewing BCPD ...that while doing so... a LOT of what the blip is this came out. Come to think of it mentally running through the timelines.... I am pretty sure that the investigation of The 7 started not to long after the Feds started looking at the PD.

Things that make you go HHHHhhhhhmmmmmm! :lol:

Even further explains the Feds involvement.

Yah know....maybe our former mayor was sharper than we think. I think that maybe she knew about all this sort of shxt. And also knew she could NEVER get any real traction/results locally. SSSSsssoooo call in the Feds and hope for the best. Very shrewd.

Edited by Guido2, 04 March 2017 - 12:32 PM.

#55 Papi

Papi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,738 posts
  • LocationHarford County Maryland

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

I heard on the news that an 8th member of the police department has been suspended administratively, not for something criminal but for something else related to the 7 officers. Want to bet it was someone who was either very lax about reviewing overtime reports (incompetence) or was intentionally ignoring it for these guys (which could end up being a criminal indictment for aiding in defraduing the city). 

#56 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

I heard on the news that an 8th member of the police department has been suspended administratively, not for something criminal but for something else related to the 7 officers. Want to bet it was someone who was either very lax about reviewing overtime reports (incompetence) or was intentionally ignoring it for these guys (which could end up being a criminal indictment for aiding in defraduing the city). 

I was listening to WBAL-AM earlier today and there were statements made between Brian K's show's breaks that there are more arrests upcoming.

#57 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

What these guys did was illegal and they must pay with their freedom. At breakfast today, there was the Baltimore Sun on my table. After reading the sports, I glanced the front page and read the top story. It's clear the Sun, and especially Justin Fenton, have a hatred for law enforcement. Even though I agree with blasting these rogue officers, I can still see the bias of the Sun.

#58 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

Yah think DiNozzo?

And I am pretty much sure there will be a reverse flow up the chain of command as the investigation progresses.

Now I don't know about BCPD and its pay accounting methods. But where I worked, your section sergeant had to sign off on your activity record, then passed that to and accounting officer who signed off, then depending (like outrageous overtime) the chief had to review and sign off before passing it onto to the check cutters.

I would imagine that there more than a few that are sweating it right now.

Bottom line and obvious to me. In very simple terms, How does an officer nearly make 1/2 or more of his base salary in OT AND NO ONE NOTICES???? Or is this yet another corruption pimple that has come up that has been part of the BCPD makeup for years.

I unfortunately, I think that last sentence is all too true.

Edited by Guido2, 05 March 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#59 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,618 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

Yah think DiNozzo?

And I am pretty much sure there will be a reverse flow up the chain of command as the investigation progresses.

Now I don't know about BCPD and its pay accounting methods. But where I worked, your section sergeant had to sign off on your activity record, then passed that to and accounting officer who signed off, then depending (like outrageous overtime) the chief had to review and sign off before passing it onto to the check cutters.

I would imagine that there more than a few that are sweating it right now.

What does the Baltimore County Police Department have to do with this? Do you mean BPD?

#60 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

What does the Baltimore County Police Department have to do with this? Do you mean BPD?

OK yah got me.... I always mess that up.

Yes...THE BALTIMORE CITY POLICE DEPT. AKA BPD. My bad. Before I die I hope I get that right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users