Ode2Joy

For a friendly corner bar, I don't see too much friendliness

30 posts in this topic

It seems more like a place where a few people like to start fights.

That's because no one's drinking.

I'm going with my old standby-bacardi dark and tonic with lime.

The tabs on me-what'll you have?

T

The tabs on me-what'll you have?

In honor of I finally watched the Big Lebowski, I'll have a white russian

In the spirit of necromancing a 3 year old thread to take a jab at banned posters who I'm obsessed with, I'll do a shot of Crystal Head vodka right out of the skull.

Seems someone has returned.

Again.;)

My Dad had a Corner Bar in Highlandtown/Canton back in the 80's. Some of the Best times in my Life! Good People, Good Times!

Seems someone has returned.

Again. ;)

Lighten up and have a drink ......

Lighten up and have a drink ......

Are you buying? ...

Lend-Lease.  B)  :D

Kicking your heels and profiting out of war while someone else fights and dies for you. B):D

Kicking your heels and profiting out of war while someone else fights and dies for you. B):D

France.

I'd be careful with using that analogy if I were you. 

And it works the same way with hate

Well you mix in alcohol that's going to happen.

Well you mix in alcohol that's going to happen.

Actually I believe that, to the civilized, there is always room for an appropriate libation....done moderately and in good taste of course.

People that are gonna do shots of "fireball" or think "captain morgan" is drinkable should probably find a different spot....and lifestyle. ;)

Tabs still running....what'll it be?

Actually I believe that, to the civilized, there is always room for an appropriate libation....done moderately and in good taste of course.

People that are gonna do shots of "fireball" or think "captain morgan" is drinkable should probably find a different spot....and lifestyle. ;)

Tabs still running....what'll it be?

Hello, Dr.

Don't forget that context can play a role in what works sometimes. I've shared shots of "Hot Damn" while sitting around a fire pit during a nice snow, after a day on the slopes. At that moment, a Fireball is exactly appropriate. Sitting in a group, having fun.  

Capt. Morgan Black is not bad, the problem is often how rum is used. A decent rum and coke is as rare as a decent 7&7.  I can think of maybe two experiences where those seemingly simple drinks were done  right. 

Posted (edited)

A decent rum and coke is as rare as a decent 7&7. 

OK Pep, I'm curious, how hard can it be to make a rum & coke?   :)

Edited by babylinux

OK Pep, I'm curious, how hard can it be to make a rum & coke?   :)

I was afraid I'd get called on that!  

My go to is the 7&7, but I'll get a rum and coke if the options present that way. I can make my own at home just fine, but I've found that most bars and venues use way too much alcohol, at least for the first round. (to get you primed)

Rum and Coke both have a sweetness that can leave a bad aftertaste if it's too heavy either way. The best are crisp, if that makes any sense.  Seagrams and 7 Up are very different, and seem to work as contrasts. Bottom line for me, is unless you're in a hurry to get a buzz, always use less rum or Seagrams in these drinks. We have all afternoon, you can get another.

I can remember more than a few places that screw these seemingly simple drinks up. The Ravenswalk, prior to a game...absolutely undrinkable 7&7. Unless you like cheap whiskey on ice. And a shot of Sprite added. 

I'm not a regular, but I've had good ones at Arundel Live and Pimlico. My guess is that the clientele being older, they get crap for poor drinkage. Loonies in Bel Air and OPI in Nottingham also know how to do it. 

I was afraid I'd get called on that!  

My go to is the 7&7, but I'll get a rum and coke if the options present that way. I can make my own at home just fine, but I've found that most bars and venues use way too much alcohol, at least for the first round. (to get you primed)

Rum and Coke both have a sweetness that can leave a bad aftertaste if it's too heavy either way. The best are crisp, if that makes any sense.  Seagrams and 7 Up are very different, and seem to work as contrasts. Bottom line for me, is unless you're in a hurry to get a buzz, always use less rum or Seagrams in these drinks. We have all afternoon, you can get another.

I can remember more than a few places that screw these seemingly simple drinks up. The Ravenswalk, prior to a game...absolutely undrinkable 7&7. Unless you like cheap whiskey on ice. And a shot of Sprite added. 

I'm not a regular, but I've had good ones at Arundel Live and Pimlico. My guess is that the clientele being older, they get crap for poor drinkage. Loonies in Bel Air and OPI in Nottingham also know how to do it.

Perhaps it's a silly question but aren't your measures regulated over there?

Here, if you buy a rum and coke the rum will be a 'single' 25ml and the Coke as high as you want it. I would have a 'large' or 'double' 50ml and top the glass up with the Coke.

In the case of a scotch, I'd have a large one, no ice, no Coke, no nothing. ;)