Ode2Joy

For a friendly corner bar, I don't see too much friendliness

30 posts in this topic

Perhaps it's a silly question but aren't your measures regulated over there?

Here, if you buy a rum and coke the rum will be a 'single' 25ml and the Coke as high as you want it. I would have a 'large' or 'double' 50ml and top the glass up with the Coke.

In the case of a scotch, I'd have a large one, no ice, no Coke, no nothing. ;)

Hi WKDWZD

Fair question, but I'm not an authority. Beers are pretty regular, but drinks like rum and coke are typically filled from the bottle, at the bartenders discretion. They may or may not have skills. 

A lot of places will really spike the first drink to get you going, then cut back.  

How is that 25 ml measured? 

Posted (edited)

Hi WKDWZD

Fair question, but I'm not an authority. Beers are pretty regular, but drinks like rum and coke are typically filled from the bottle, at the bartenders discretion. They may or may not have skills.

A lot of places will really spike the first drink to get you going, then cut back.

How is that 25 ml measured?

Usually the measure is dispened by an 'optic' link: http://pimpmymancave.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/optics.png or an official measuring cup. 'Discretion' serving spirits is not allowed in the UK, if it were, I suspect that landlords would use that to their advantage and serve short measures, not large ones. ;)

Edited by WKDWZD

Neither friendly nor compassionate.

Posted (edited)

Hello, Dr.

Don't forget that context can play a role in what works sometimes. I've shared shots of "Hot Damn" while sitting around a fire pit during a nice snow, after a day on the slopes. At that moment, a Fireball is exactly appropriate. Sitting in a group, having fun.

Capt. Morgan Black is not bad, the problem is often how rum is used. A decent rum and coke is as rare as a decent 7&7. I can think of maybe two experiences where those seemingly simple drinks were done right.

When skiing it was peppermint schnapps....or a flaming arsehole....a shot of jim beam topped with blueberry brandy and ignited....literally. :o

I've grown more discerning in my dotage.

And as I said, my current fav is myers and tonic with lime. Pretty hard to mess up.

Edited by Dr Johnny Fever