• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,560 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:33 AM

Well you mix in alcohol that's going to happen.

Actually I believe that, to the civilized, there is always room for an appropriate libation....done moderately and in good taste of course.

People that are gonna do shots of "fireball" or think "captain morgan" is drinkable should probably find a different spot....and lifestyle. ;)

Tabs still running....what'll it be?

#22 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,539 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

Actually I believe that, to the civilized, there is always room for an appropriate libation....done moderately and in good taste of course.

People that are gonna do shots of "fireball" or think "captain morgan" is drinkable should probably find a different spot....and lifestyle. ;)

Tabs still running....what'll it be?

Hello, Dr.

Don't forget that context can play a role in what works sometimes. I've shared shots of "Hot Damn" while sitting around a fire pit during a nice snow, after a day on the slopes. At that moment, a Fireball is exactly appropriate. Sitting in a group, having fun.  

Capt. Morgan Black is not bad, the problem is often how rum is used. A decent rum and coke is as rare as a decent 7&7.  I can think of maybe two experiences where those seemingly simple drinks were done  right. 

#23 babylinux

babylinux

Much beloved member of SunSpot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

A decent rum and coke is as rare as a decent 7&7. 

OK Pep, I'm curious, how hard can it be to make a rum & coke?   :)

Edited by babylinux, 27 March 2017 - 01:36 PM.

#24 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,539 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

OK Pep, I'm curious, how hard can it be to make a rum & coke?   :)

I was afraid I'd get called on that!  

My go to is the 7&7, but I'll get a rum and coke if the options present that way. I can make my own at home just fine, but I've found that most bars and venues use way too much alcohol, at least for the first round. (to get you primed)

Rum and Coke both have a sweetness that can leave a bad aftertaste if it's too heavy either way. The best are crisp, if that makes any sense.  Seagrams and 7 Up are very different, and seem to work as contrasts. Bottom line for me, is unless you're in a hurry to get a buzz, always use less rum or Seagrams in these drinks. We have all afternoon, you can get another.

I can remember more than a few places that screw these seemingly simple drinks up. The Ravenswalk, prior to a game...absolutely undrinkable 7&7. Unless you like cheap whiskey on ice. And a shot of Sprite added. 

I'm not a regular, but I've had good ones at Arundel Live and Pimlico. My guess is that the clientele being older, they get crap for poor drinkage. Loonies in Bel Air and OPI in Nottingham also know how to do it. 

#25 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,023 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

I was afraid I'd get called on that!  

My go to is the 7&7, but I'll get a rum and coke if the options present that way. I can make my own at home just fine, but I've found that most bars and venues use way too much alcohol, at least for the first round. (to get you primed)

Rum and Coke both have a sweetness that can leave a bad aftertaste if it's too heavy either way. The best are crisp, if that makes any sense.  Seagrams and 7 Up are very different, and seem to work as contrasts. Bottom line for me, is unless you're in a hurry to get a buzz, always use less rum or Seagrams in these drinks. We have all afternoon, you can get another.

I can remember more than a few places that screw these seemingly simple drinks up. The Ravenswalk, prior to a game...absolutely undrinkable 7&7. Unless you like cheap whiskey on ice. And a shot of Sprite added. 

I'm not a regular, but I've had good ones at Arundel Live and Pimlico. My guess is that the clientele being older, they get crap for poor drinkage. Loonies in Bel Air and OPI in Nottingham also know how to do it.

Perhaps it's a silly question but aren't your measures regulated over there?

Here, if you buy a rum and coke the rum will be a 'single' 25ml and the Coke as high as you want it. I would have a 'large' or 'double' 50ml and top the glass up with the Coke.

In the case of a scotch, I'd have a large one, no ice, no Coke, no nothing. ;)
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

#26 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,539 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

Perhaps it's a silly question but aren't your measures regulated over there?

Here, if you buy a rum and coke the rum will be a 'single' 25ml and the Coke as high as you want it. I would have a 'large' or 'double' 50ml and top the glass up with the Coke.

In the case of a scotch, I'd have a large one, no ice, no Coke, no nothing. ;)

Hi WKDWZD

Fair question, but I'm not an authority. Beers are pretty regular, but drinks like rum and coke are typically filled from the bottle, at the bartenders discretion. They may or may not have skills. 

A lot of places will really spike the first drink to get you going, then cut back.  

How is that 25 ml measured? 

#27 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,023 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:55 AM

Hi WKDWZD

Fair question, but I'm not an authority. Beers are pretty regular, but drinks like rum and coke are typically filled from the bottle, at the bartenders discretion. They may or may not have skills.

A lot of places will really spike the first drink to get you going, then cut back.

How is that 25 ml measured?

Usually the measure is dispened by an 'optic' link: http://pimpmymancave...6/09/optics.png or an official measuring cup. 'Discretion' serving spirits is not allowed in the UK, if it were, I suspect that landlords would use that to their advantage and serve short measures, not large ones. ;)

Edited by WKDWZD, 30 March 2017 - 08:12 AM.

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

#28 Chesapeake Spirit

Chesapeake Spirit

King of the Neanderthals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

Any bar that's properly managed uses portion controls.

Panem et Circenses :rolleyes:

#29 Ode2Joy

Ode2Joy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationZentralfriedhof

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

Neither friendly nor compassionate.

#30 Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,560 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

Hello, Dr.

Don't forget that context can play a role in what works sometimes. I've shared shots of "Hot Damn" while sitting around a fire pit during a nice snow, after a day on the slopes. At that moment, a Fireball is exactly appropriate. Sitting in a group, having fun.

Capt. Morgan Black is not bad, the problem is often how rum is used. A decent rum and coke is as rare as a decent 7&7. I can think of maybe two experiences where those seemingly simple drinks were done right.

When skiing it was peppermint schnapps....or a flaming arsehole....a shot of jim beam topped with blueberry brandy and ignited....literally. :o

I've grown more discerning in my dotage.

And as I said, my current fav is myers and tonic with lime. Pretty hard to mess up.

Edited by Dr Johnny Fever, 05 April 2017 - 10:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users