Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Rule changes for 2017 approved

12 posts in this topic

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/03/mlb-mlbpa-announce-rule-modifications-for-2017-regular-season.html#comments

* No need to throw four wide pitches for an intentional walk (this reminds me of the old Don Drysdale quote, "An intentional walk is a waste of three pitches")

* Managers get 30 seconds to request a review

* Reviews should only take two minutes to make a determination in most cases

* Carter Capps' pitching motion is clarified as legal, so long as he drags his back foot.

30 seconds to decide to challenge seems restrictive. My understanding is that teams only have access to the same reply that we see on tv, and they don't get it earlier than the live feed. Doesn't it take more than 30 seconds to rewind and cue up a reply?

I wasn't familiar with Carter Capp, so i looked up his delivery. That shouldn't be legal. The guy hops 6 inches or more toward the plate. 

Posted (edited)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/03/mlb-mlbpa-announce-rule-modifications-for-2017-regular-season.html#comments

* No need to throw four wide pitches for an intentional walk (this reminds me of the old Don Drysdale quote, "An intentional walk is a waste of three pitches")

* Managers get 30 seconds to request a review

* Reviews should only take two minutes to make a determination in most cases

* Carter Capps' pitching motion is clarified as legal, so long as he drags his back foot.

* intentional walk rule, IMO this was done to set the tone for the impending rule changes next year. ( I.e pitch clock) I doubt that it

impacts the game flow very much, but I prefer that the pitches be thrown.*

* Thirty seconds is enough time for a manager to trust their eyes. I think that it has become a dog and pony show for the 

manager to walk out on the field while the replay guy reviews the play. i think that this will pick up pace of play and make the

manager challenges more valuable.*

* Two minutes is more than enough time to review a play. Have the umps hustle and get their headset on. There should be a clock that times the 

two minutes once the headset goes on. If the replay nerve center central or whatever they call it can't overturn the call in two minutes let the

call stand. This is a step in the right direction.*

* I have seen this guy pitch and IMHO it is an illegal delivery. Further, the fact that MLB has to make a special ruling enhances that it

is most likely an illegal pitch. I doubt that the next guy who hops, skips, and jumps off of a mound gets the same consideration. I don't think

that it is easy to pitch like this and He is coming back from an arm injury. MLB threw him a bone IMO.*

Edited by russsnyder

I wasn't familiar with Carter Capp, so i looked up his delivery. That shouldn't be legal. The guy hops 6 inches or more toward the plate. 

I agree in principle, however, baseball has allowed this guy to pitch this way in the minors and more importantly in the majors for several years now.

He is coming back from Tommy John surgery, so if they banned his delivery the Union might argue that MLB is messing with his livelihood at this

point in his career. 

I agree in principle, however, baseball has allowed this guy to pitch this way in the minors and more importantly in the majors for several years now.

He is coming back from Tommy John surgery, so if they banned his delivery the Union might argue that MLB is messing with his livelihood at this

point in his career. 

Good point, I thought maybe he was an older rookie. Still, he can always change his delivery to eliminate the bunny hop. And if he can't, then he probably isn't qualified to be a MLB pitcher, since pitchers have been changing their delivery for decades

* intentional walk rule, IMO this was done to set the tone for the impending rule changes next year. ( I.e pitch clock) I doubt that it

impacts the game flow very much, but I prefer that the pitches be thrown.*

* Thirty seconds is enough time for a manager to trust their eyes. I think that it has become a dog and pony show for the 

manager to walk out on the field while the replay guy reviews the play. i think that this will pick up pace of play and make the

manager challenges more valuable.*

* Two minutes is more than enough time to review a play. Have the umps hustle and get their headset on. There should be a clock that times the 

two minutes once the headset goes on. If the replay nerve center central or whatever they call it can't overturn the call in two minutes let the

call stand. This is a step in the right direction.*

* I have seen this guy pitch and IMHO it is an illegal delivery. Further, the fact that MLB has to make a special ruling enhances that it

is most likely an illegal pitch. I doubt that the next guy who hops, skips, and jumps off of a mound gets the same consideration. I don't think

that it is easy to pitch like this and He is coming back from an arm injury. MLB threw him a bone IMO.*

What he said! 

Posted (edited)

Good point, I thought maybe he was an older rookie. Still, he can always change his delivery to eliminate the bunny hop. And if he can't, then he probably isn't qualified to be a MLB pitcher, since pitchers have been changing their delivery for decades

He's been in the majors for a couple of years. ( But He has pitched for a bad Marlins team so that's why many do not know of him.)

I was first time I saw him He saved a game against the Orioles in the 11th inning of a hard fought game a few years ago.

I think that it would be unfair for MLB to force him to change his delivery after they tolerated it for three or four years.

Just my opinion. 

Edited by russsnyder

Posted (edited)

The new Intentional Walk rule is lame

Edited by BayAreaBmore

Posted (edited)

Don't care much either way about the IBB rule... but the game could be so much more watchable if they enforced the pitch clock and drastically limited the number of TOs granted to batters.

Edited by Ravens2006

Don't care much either way about the IBB rule... but the game could be so much more watchable if they enforced the pitch clock and drastically limited the number of TOs granted to batters.

I agree. These two things are easy to enforce, and they actually have an immediate impact on the pace of the game. Yet they don't enforce them. Once you step into the box, you should be ready to stay in the box, and play ball. 

Very good points and these are already part of the game and not something made up. Enforcing these rules would not make a mockery of the game like the other ideas and they would definitely speed the game up.