Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nomad974

2017 MD Big 33 Roster

43 posts in this topic

Congrats to all players making the squad.

Baltimore Sun article:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/varsity-letters/bal-18-locals-selected-for-big-33-team-maryland-20170303-story.html

The Penn Live article:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/03/maryland_announces_big_33_rost.html

Location of the game is now at Landis Field in Harrisburg Pa.  But I NEVER would have thought that this selection would come out BEFORE the announcement (if there will be announcement) of the All State teams.

Edited by ShoNuff07

Not one kid west of Frederick? No comment.

THEM REGULAR TRADEMARK

Yet I'll bet you would be 1st to chant for top 16 playoffs over the region playoffs system that would insure all areas across the state are included...   :rolleyes:

Yet I'll bet you would be 1st to chant for top 16 playoffs over the region playoffs system that would insure all areas across the state are included...   :rolleyes:

Yes on change, no on 1 through 16 though.

Keep regions the same. Top 8 in each region makes the playoffs instead of Top 4. Cut the regular season to 9 games or extend season for one more week...like they do in PA. Nothing changes except one more week of playoffs. I know, I know...creates unwatchable match ups in Week 1 post-season. And how is this different than the ungodly mismatches we get in the regular season already? What this does is allow teams to schedule whomever they want big or small without playoff penalty.

Or I can just keep recommending that everyone avoid competition and load up with winnable games. You know...points for beating Silver Oak...zero points for losing to DeMatha. That is unless you are Douglass PG. All guts, no post season for the defending state champs.

Edited by TDHelmick

How many tried out

A handful that mattered for certain. Two of the best were both denied. One is a FBS scholly defensive back. Oddly enough, not one single DB on the Big 33 roster is headed to the FBS.

The other is a kid who registered 32 sacks in two seasons.

Both were at the tryouts.

Did everyone on the Big 33 roster attend the tryouts? I don't know so that's an honest question.

Edited by TDHelmick

Although you've got to hand it to Coach Mcleod at Silver Oak. Imhotep, St. Frances, Fort Hill, Allegany, Mount St. Joseph, CFL based Canadian Schools, Potomac, Friendship Collegiate...all for an adjudicated school of about 80 males. You won't see that at the MPSSAA level, even with schools that have 1800 students.

A handful that mattered for certain. Two of the best were both denied. One is a FBS scholly defensive back. Oddly enough, not one single DB on the Big 33 roster is headed to the FBS.

Did everyone on the Big 33 roster attend the tryouts? I don't know so that's an honest question.

Not sure who attened and who didnt

I do know that there was a preselected 100

Cant speak for those who arent on the team but they have selected players based on commitment vs FBS offers etc

Oakdale kid is that one that you feel missed out

Not sure who attened and who didnt

I do know that there was a preselected 100

Cant speak for those who arent on the team but they have selected players based on commitment vs FBS offers etc

Oakdale kid is that one that you feel missed out

Tryouts were in Bel Air. Everything that requires commitments for things such as this are eastern based making it tough on western commitment. I get that for the last 40 years. Would like to see at least one kid west of Frederick though be granted a slot for better graphical representation and for facilitating more interest that in turns generates more commitment. A win/win for both parties. Just one kid.

I won't mention names out of respect for our youth. Probably not hard to figure out though.

34 selected from the entire state will always leave 10 fold out to beach about, many who don't want to be involved.

Tryouts were in Bel Air. Everything that requires commitments for things such as this are eastern based making it tough on western commitment. I get that for the last 40 years. Would like to see at least one kid west of Frederick though be granted a slot for better graphical representation and for facilitating more interest that in turns generates more commitment. A win/win for both parties. Just one kid.

I won't mention names out of respect for our youth. Probably not hard to figure out though.

No great gain nor great lost in being selected or not selected for the BIG33.  If it were dropped this year, no one would really care.

True. No selection process is going remove the beachers such as I :)

Although when you have a FBS scholly player who is the two time POY around these parts with three title rings and who attended the tryout not make it, you will get some beacher pushing one of their kids. It's what good coaches/admins do for their youth I guess. I do know some of the Big 33 MD coaches and selection people...all good people. Not easy for them. More important things out there. Don't see me as a beacher, only making good sports conversation at best while trying to create better environments without life or death subject.

I mean, who cares about graphical representation anyway Day? Even in a playoff system.

I get what you are saying but well thats life. Im sure others had difficulties as well and some were ablr to do it some weren't

I know some had to pull out due to timing which has been a major sticking point

BTW no Baltimore City kids

True. No selection process is going remove the beachers such as I :)

Although when you have a FBS scholly player who is the two time POY around these parts with three title rings and who attended the tryout not make it, you will get some beacher pushing one of their kids. It's what good coaches/admins do for their youth I guess. I do know some of the Big 33 MD coaches and selection people...all good people. Not easy for them. More important things out there. Don't see me as a beacher, only making good sports conversation at best while trying to create better environments without life or death subject.

I mean, who cares about graphical representation anyway Day? Even in a playoff system.

Translation:  You are just ticked specifically about one of your own Fort Hill players not being selected for the meaningless BIG33 and the west of Frederick is just a smoke screen.  Got it....

Translation:  You are just ticked specifically about one of your own Fort Hill players not being selected for the meaningless BIG33 and the west of Frederick is just a smoke screen.  Got it....

That's a large conclusion jump. I work with many players at many places. There are other qualified athletes outside of FH obviously. I have a handful of others that are qualified to be on this roster as would any coach anywhere. My point being that just one player needs to be represented west of Frederick.

Speaking from a business standpoint as a business person myself, it seems to me the Big 33 needs this kid, or any one kid west of Frederick, to be represented in an effort to garner more interest from the schools that put 3K to 10K rabid high school football fans in stadium seats. Using your own words, correct in that no one cares. Nor will they. Hence, you saying the Big 33 is meaningless probably just proves my point. No need to look west for participation, tryouts, marketing, ticket sales, clicks, television, whatever. And that's fine. But if the Big 33 were my company I wouldn't make the same decision.

But it is important to note the Big 33 didn't turn down just any kid. Just to repeat...you have no FBS scholarship DBs on this roster. Yet a DB who is, that is a two time Player of The Year in the west, that has 3 state title rings, that is likely a two-time All-State performer and more important who drove almost 3 hours for the tryout isn't selected over some players who didn't even attend the tryout then it seems illogical to me. Both from an athletic and a business approach. Others were at the tryout. Maybe coaches didn't like the way they performed in that hour or so. Who knows? The question then becomes what is the selection criteria? From what I can see it's based on Big 33 coaches to select how they see fit. And if no coach from the West is going to step up and commit to helping out, then that's on the coaches from the West.

Edited by TDHelmick

That's a large conclusion jump. I work with many players at many places. There are other qualified athletes outside of FH obviously. I have a handful of others that are qualified to be on this roster as would any coach anywhere. My point being that just one player needs to be represented west of Frederick.

Speaking from a business standpoint as a business person myself, it seems to me the Big 33 needs this kid, or any one kid west of Frederick, to be represented in an effort to garner more interest from the schools that put 3K to 10K rabid high school football fans in stadium seats. Using your own words, correct in that no one cares. Nor will they. Hence, you saying the Big 33 is meaningless probably just proves my point. No need to look west for participation, tryouts, marketing, ticket sales, clicks, television, whatever. And that's fine. But if the Big 33 were my company I wouldn't make the same decision.

But it is important to note the Big 33 didn't turn down just any kid. Just to repeat...you have no FBS scholarship DBs on this roster. Yet a DB who is, that is a two time Player of The Year in the west, that has 3 state title rings, that is likely a two-time All-State performer and more important who drove almost 3 hours for the tryout isn't selected over some players who didn't even attend the tryout then it seems illogical to me. Both from an athletic and a business approach. Others were at the tryout. Maybe coaches didn't like the way they performed in that hour or so. Who knows? The question then becomes what is the selection criteria? From what I can see it's based on Big 33 coaches to select how they see fit. And if no coach from the West is going to step up and commit to helping out, then that's on the coaches from the West.

There are tons of so-called qualified players all around the state.  There is an old saying that "...many are called but few are chosen..."  In the case of the BIG33, there are only 34 chosen and you are simply livid at one of yours was not chosen.  That's the bottom line here for you regardless of who you work with.  No coach, one player west of Frederick need not be on the MD team, no quota here it seems.  It is not an all inclusive MPSSAA function but a private charitable function.

No greater interest in the BIG33 would be generated by the inclusion of one player west of Frederick.  Besides mom and dad, a player from AlCo wouldn't garner much interest from the Fort Hill or Boonsboro crowd.  The 3k to 10k rabid fan base ( only Fort Hill ) is what it's all about for you and NOT all west of Frederick.  I told you, I got that.  Tell me, other than the BIG33 game Todd Johnson sorta played in, were you and crew at all other BIG33 games?  There wasn't a ground swell of 3k more of west of Frederick at the Johnson game.  From a business perspective, the BIG33 format game this far after the season is a losing formula and perhaps why so many real top-34 don't participate.

Chill with the two-time area POY, 3-time state championship rings D1 talent drum beat....  We are are talking about what, a two or three offer player going to a 3 and 9 team....  Again, no big deal about being on the BIG33 team and no big deal not being chosen.  Don't worry about it sport.

Edited by DayWalker

TD,

Are you sure some of the DBs that were selected did not attend the tryouts?  How about Fort Hill Kid, did he have a great tryout ? Perhaps he had issues covering the WRs?  Just trying to understand better what happen.

I think this year's team will be pretty competitive against the PA side. Just from looking at the initial invitee list, if all of MD's top dogs were available for this year's game, MD wins straight up. That defense would be something else.

Just because one is going to a FBS school vs FCS does not necessarily make him a better player. Many of the FCS schools are better academically, and the smart kids take that into consideration.

ShoNuff07 - I don't know the answers to those questions. Only a coach that was at the tryout could answer such. I'm OK with how this works out. Lest we forget, these are coaches that are volunteering their limited time to make something nice for others. It is impossible to make everyone happy with player selections for any all-star team or post-season award.

Day - I'm not livid (or ticked) in the least. All is well on the western front. It's only varying opinions on a minute subject. Not sure though how you jump to certain conclusions about where I stand but that's cool. Too bad I get labeled into being one of those dudes that only wears red shades. I still say from a business perspective that it's pertinent to have representation from Southern MD and the Eastern Shore as well if only one player. Because player selection is so subjective how much talent is the MD side losing by not doing such? Agree...the Big 33 is not the best 33 in the state north, south, east or west for many reasons. Doubt any all-star game is going to be. Although getting to know Tony K through these years with the Crab Bowl has been a great learning experience personally. Tony is always seeing things I don't.

I was nominated for the Big 33 game many moons ago. I'm actually glad to see Maryland back in the mix. I hear often that it's a good experience for the kids that have been involved.

Edited by TDHelmick

ShoNuff07 - I don't know the answers to those questions. Only a coach that was at the tryout could answer such. I'm OK with how this works out. Lest we forget, these are coaches that are volunteering their limited time to make something nice for others.

Day - I'm not livid (or ticked) in the least. All is well on the western front. It's only varying opinions on a minute subject. Not sure though how you jump to certain conclusions about where I stand but that's cool. Too bad I get labeled into being one of those dudes that only wears red shades. Agree...the Big 33 is not the best 33 in the state north, south, east or west for many reasons. Doubt any all-star game is going to be. Although getting to know Tony K through these years with the Crab Bowl has been a great learning experience personally. Tony is always seeing things I don't.

I was nominated for the Big 33 game many moons ago. I'm actually glad to see Maryland back in the mix. I hear often that it's a good experience for the kids that have been involved.

What happened with the Crab Bowl and McDaniel

TDHelmick, don't worry their is still a chance for a couple kids from the West. I heard from 3 parents on this roster already who said their son isn't playing in the Big33 game. Kids are getting ready for college and never had any intention on playing. Never even attended the tryouts.