Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nomad974

2017 MD Big 33 Roster

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Day - I'm not livid (or ticked) in the least. All is well on the western front. It's only varying opinions on a minute subject. Not sure though how you jump to certain conclusions about where I stand but that's cool. Too bad I get labeled into being one of those dudes that only wears red shades. I still say from a business perspective that it's pertinent to have representation from Southern MD and the Eastern Shore as well if only one player. Because player selection is so subjective how much talent is the MD side losing by not doing such? Agree...the Big 33 is not the best 33 in the state north, south, east or west for many reasons. Doubt any all-star game is going to be. Although getting to know Tony K through these years with the Crab Bowl has been a great learning experience personally. Tony is always seeing things I don't.

I was nominated for the Big 33 game many moons ago. I'm actually glad to see Maryland back in the mix. I hear often that it's a good experience for the kids that have been involved.

Oh come on Todd, it's the absence of your area Fort Hill 2-time POY 3-time state champion D1 player from the BIG33 that's got you crossed and it's nothing to do about your no one west of Frederick shtick.  Again from the business perspective you keep referring to, the model of a spring all-star high school football contest of players who have graduated from high school is very flawed.  Again, the BIG33 is not a region quota MPSSAA type affair.  I suspect the original concept was The Best 33 no matter from where the players came from.  The BIGG33 and simply deteriorated to a shell of what it once was or thought to be in concept.  Life ends for everything.  Maybe it's time for the BIG33 to RIP.  You being 1 of the 10k rabid wouldn't mind year-round football.

How is Alco doing in basketball, speaking of promoting west of Frederick....

Edited by DayWalker

Posted (edited)

I think this year's team will be pretty competitive against the PA side. Just from looking at the initial invitee list, if all of MD's top dogs were available for this year's game, MD wins straight up. That defense would be something else.

MD wins straight up if all top MD dogs were available you say.....  Have you EVER been to or even seen a single BIG33 game?  :rolleyes:

Edited by DayWalker

I guess this is what its now comes to

Kid doesn't make a team and the waterworks start

Whatever happened to competition

Posted (edited)

Oh come on Todd, it's the absence of your area Fort Hill 2-time POY 3-time state champion D1 player from the BIG33 that's got you crossed and it's nothing to do about your no one west of Frederick shtick.  Again from the business perspective you keep referring to, the model of a spring all-star high school football contest of players who have graduated from high school is very flawed.  Again, the BIG33 is not a region quota MPSSAA type affair.  I suspect the original concept was The Best 33 no matter from where the players came from.  The BIGG33 and simply deteriorated to a shell of what it once was or thought to be in concept.  Live ends for everything.  Maybe it's time for the BIG33 to RIP.  I've you being 1 of the 19k rabid wouldn't mind year-round football.

How is Alco doing in basketball, speaking of promoting west of Frederick....

Anybody know the scoop with Edmondson hoops. Can Alco take them out this time?

There have been better Alco hoops teams the last 4 years or so (as they own the western hardwood) but this team may have as good a shot as any in Terp Town depending on comp. Speaking of which, one of their bigguns inside at 6'5, 280 doubles as an even better lineman on the gridiron. Big 33 slept on this kid as did the D1 schools...somebody get me a tissue ;) Big Blue also has a very nice/athletic shooting guard in Rhodes who most consider the best WR west of Frederick.

And yes we talk football year round. But I see you here tossing the winter/summer pigskin often. We have a house for sale on Greenway if you are interested in living with the knuckleheads. Still searching for that Oct. 13 FH game. Could not find that elusive MIAA team, they are league full come trick or treat time. Whistling at teams in Canada now. No need to play MPSSAA schools outside the county or vice-versa.

Edited by TDHelmick

Posted (edited)

What happened with the Crab Bowl and McDaniel

I have not spoken to Tony K since the fall season when we were looking at Crab Bowl possibilities for kids west of Frederick (the irony). Did I miss something there with McDaniel? Will ask when I get a chance. Also have not heard anything about the I-95 Classic possibilities. He has tried to convince the Cumberland schools to make that trip but neither he nor I can convince the people here in charge of money.

As to whatever happened to competition...the state of Maryland doesn't recommend it. Doesn't everyone deserve a trophy?

Edited by TDHelmick

Anybody know the scoop with Edmondson hoops. Can Alco take them out this time?

There have been better Alco hoops teams the last 4 years or so (as they own the western hardwood) but this team may have as good a shot as any in Terp Town depending on comp. Speaking of which, one of their bigguns inside at 6'5, 280 doubles as an even better lineman on the gridiron. Big 33 slept on this kid as did the D1 schools...somebody get me a tissue ;) Big Blue also has a very nice/athletic shooting guard in Rhodes who most consider the best WR west of Frederick.

And yes we talk football year round. But I see you here tossing the winter/summer pigskin often. We have a house for sale on Greenway if you are interested in living with the knuckleheads. Still searching for that Oct. 13 FH game. Could not find that elusive MIAA team, they are league full come trick or treat time. Whistling at teams in Canada now. No need to play MPSSAA schools outside the county or vice-versa.

Edmondson was a middle of the pack team in the city league this year. Alco definitely has a shot.

I have not spoken to Tony K since the fall season when we were looking at Crab Bowl possibilities for kids west of Frederick (the irony). Did I miss something there with McDaniel? Will ask when I get a chance. Also have not heard anything about the I-95 Classic possibilities. He has tried to convince the Cumberland schools to make that trip but neither he nor I can convince the people here in charge of money.

As to whatever happened to competition...the state of Maryland doesn't recommend it. Doesn't everyone deserve a trophy?

Lol it would seem that way and its not just MD its across the country... but alas

Just because one is going to a FBS school vs FCS does not necessarily make him a better player. Many of the FCS schools are better academically, and the smart kids take that into consideration.

Lol

No rules regarding a kid actually attending a MD school to be a participant? Don't remember ever seeing a DC HS student (public charter, public, or private) making the roster before but I might just have a short memory. 

Just because one is going to a FBS school vs FCS does not necessarily make him a better player. Many of the FCS schools are better academically, and the smart kids take that into consideration.

A smart kid is going to be a smart kid regardless of what school he goes to. If a smart kid gets an offer from both, there's a possibility there are other factors at play.

Honestly, I didnt even realize they still played the Big33 game until this year when I heard of the local invites.

Posted (edited)

A smart kid is going to be a smart kid regardless of what school he goes to. If a smart kid gets an offer from both, there's a possibility there are other factors at play.

Honestly, I didnt even realize they still played the Big33 game until this year when I heard of the local invites.

So are you going to hire a guy with a 4.0 from Sheppard or a 3.0 from Harvard? Edited by bleedingorangeandblack

So are you going to hire a guy with a 4.0 from Sheppard or a 3.0 from Harvard?

I surely hope you don't hire someone JUST because what school he/she graduated from.  What if the Shepherd grad has twice as much experience than the Harvard grad? 

I surely hope you don't hire someone JUST because what school he/she graduated from. What if the Shepherd grad has twice as much experience than the Harvard grad?

Not what im saying im with you

No rules regarding a kid actually attending a MD school to be a participant? Don't remember ever seeing a DC HS student (public charter, public, or private) making the roster before but I might just have a short memory. 

One really need an explicit rule that state a player on the Maryland team should be from a MD school during the season one is to be on the MD team, really?

Oh come on sick....you mean to tell me a Fort Hill guy like you was not aware your darling Todd Johnson played in the BIG33 just a couple years ago; that you were not aware the BIg33 was still played, really??????

Posted (edited)

One really need an explicit rule that state a player on the Maryland team should be from a MD school during the season one is to be on the MD team, really?

Not trying to be a wiseguy here, but are you asking me, telling me, or being sarcastic? I would think that to make an all-State, or in this case Big 33 team, team you should be playing in the state you were named all state in, no? Case in point - I doubt the kid from PA going to St. Johns High School will be getting a sniff from the PA team. 

Edited by Mrkeyjr

Oh come on sick....you mean to tell me a Fort Hill guy like you was not aware your darling Todd Johnson played in the BIG33 just a couple years ago; that you were not aware the BIg33 was still played, really??????

Ty ????

I am very aware Ty [sic] was in the Big33 two years ago.

I also thought there was talk about the Big 33 ending or being done away with after that year. I was surprised to read of the two FH kids trying out this year, having remembered reading or hearing about it's pending demise prior to that. Guess I was wrong.