jdsample

Good night, my friends

144 posts in this topic

I think it is time to say good night once again.  We can cross swords again tomorrow.  Sleep well and we can slap the **** out of each other tomorrow.  

It seems kinda early for you to be calling it a night.

Good dreams my friend.

Good dreams my friend.

Yeah, what is it, like 8PM Mountain time?

I think it is time to say good night once again. We can cross swords again tomorrow. Sleep well and we can slap the **** out of each other tomorrow.

:D

Good Night

Yeah, what is it, like 8PM Mountain time?

Now it is 11.  But I don't always hang on the internet and recognize that you guys live two hours in the future.  But if you have stock tips of what is going up in the future, I'm down with that.  ;)

Posted (edited)

I disagree. An internet chat forum such as this presents an opportunity to post nasty and polarizing stuff...but the poster has to chose to do so.

That is 100% true, but you don't have to look the other person in the eye while saying it.  And 99% would not be said to a stranger on the street.  

And I am as guilty as anyone.  It's not just a parked car syndrome, it is an Eye-Contact Syndrome.  I don't think any of us would spew the BS we spew while making eye contact with a fellow poster at Middleton's Tavern.  If you really want to insult someone, wait until you can look them in the eye.  Chances are you will have a drink together.  

Edited by jdsample

Good dreams my friend.

Thank you sincerely for calling me a friend. Let's slap each other on the *** tomorrow over some political issue, but remain friends.  

It is 9:45  RM time.    Calling it another night.  

GN my friends.

It is 9:45  RM time.    Calling it another night.  

GN my friends.

Good night JD.

Good Day to you all But isn't this what the Open Mic section is for?

Good Day to you all But isn't this what the Open Mic section is for?

Good morning.

Sometimes a nice thread is appreciated even in Nationals.

Good  Day to you all But isn't this what the Open Mic section is for?

Yeah, you are right.  But a lot of denizens of Nats, never go there.  If the mods want to kill or lock or move this, they can do it anytime, and I half expected that when I started it.   I was simply thinking that we should have a way of looking each other in the eye before declaring someone ignorant or decerebrate (my favorite word that I learned here).  

The truth is that every one of us logs in here and argues about politics and real issues instead of watching American Dad reruns drinking beer in our underwear.  We disagree violently but we are probably all in the 1% when it comes to knowledge of current events.  Go down to your supermarket and see if you can find one person to have a conversation with about the number of EOs Grover Cleveland issued.  OK, that isn't a current event I grant you.  

I for one have not shown proper respect to the knowledge everyone brings here.  Yeah, I think some people are nuts with how they interpret it, but everyone here is paying attention, a far cry from your average person.  

And with that rant, I now go to the other threads with the goal of personally insulting every single poster so no one feels left out.  ;)  Then I will watch reruns in my underwear drinking beer.  

Okay, everyone take off your gloves and hit the showers.

Get a good night's rest and see you back here tomorrow.

Good night!

;)

Yes,  I think I will sign off too.  I had a goal of personally insulting every person of the board (except Matt who would ban me) and I think I only got around to two or three.  Let me know if you feel left out and I will be sure to include you tomorrow.  But you are all decerebrate neanderthals and I will eviscerate your intellect tomorrow. ;)

Good morning to you all.

Another day in paradise, another day to enjoy and benefit from the American Privilege.

Good morning to you all.

Another day in paradise, another day to enjoy and benefit from the American Privilege.

Its snowing .......

Its snowing .......

There is a Robin trying to get a worm out of the snow covered garden.   :(

Where's &$@!%# global warming when you really need it? :P

Its snowing .......

That is just a slight temporary blemish on paradise.

That is just a slight temporary blemish on paradise.

Snow is never a blemish.  The blemish is today you need to choose.  Drive a few miles and ski, or walk to the golf course, or maybe air up the tires and take that dusty bike for a ride.  No matter what, you will need some sunscreen.  

Good night.   We had Cary Steinberg playing.   And if you have never heard  Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin on a ukelele, you are missing something.  

Good night. We had Cary Steinberg playing. And if you have never heard Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin on a ukelele, you are missing something.

Well, I just had to google him.

;):)

Posted (edited)

I don't know if it will survive, and it surely isn't National/World News, but I thought there might be a thread where we could leave politics aside and just meet and greet and say adieu at the end of the day.  Then tomorrow we can beat each other over the head with alternative facts, but I want all of you to know I enjoy the give and take, and you all teach me new things...not always what you want to teach me.  but I am a bit of a sponge.  

But goodnight Matt, Calamari, Smarterthanyou and a thousand others.  I'm only thinking of those I have crossed verbal swords with.  But all of you make me think, and research and really that is what democracy is about.  The Baltimore Sun does us a great service...for free.  

And no, I am not dying anytime soon (to my knowledge.  Calamari could run over me with her bus).  

The point is I would actually like to know the people on this forum rather than exchange insults.  

One thread is all I ask.  

Lovely sentiment.

I've been on business in Trumpland and it has been interesting to engage with some very lovely and hospitable people who voted for a man I find abhorrent and historically unfit for the office of president.

I generally try to find the good in people and, like you, I enjoy the give and take on this board. It has given me a unique insight into the minds and thought processes of people who hold political views different from my own and that has been valuable. We do need civil discourse. We need to remember that we're all Americans and we probably have far more in common with each other than we realize.

There's a great James Baldwin essay from "the Fire Next Time". He's a black homosexual at a time in America when discrimination was rampant in the North and segregation ruled the South. He was vicious in his critique of racism in this country.

At the time, there was a kind of pan-African movement going on. He goes to this activist conference somewhere in Africa. It's a total black power/we need to get back to our African roots/it's a universal struggle/we're all in this together/let's empower ourselves kind of event. The thing that is amazing about the essay is that after two days he comes to realize that, like it or not, he has more in common and is more connected to some white Alabama sheriff or some racist segregationist Southerner than he'll ever be to these Africans with whom he shares a skin color and common ancestry. He's a black man in 1950s Jim Crow America. He suffers daily humiliation. He is routinely emasculated. There are grave injustices. They're turning fire hoses and sicking dogs on black children. It is oppressive. It is vile and the hate is real.

But... first and foremost, he's an American and we're Americans as well.

The problem I have with a lot of the 'conservative' posters on this board is the seeming inability to discern what is credible. What is a good, valid source?

There actually are such things as facts. There actually is a scientific community and through thorough peer review they do arrive at some basic truths. There is empirical evidence. We do see real world consequences to policy initiatives - Kansas is an amazing example. A GOP governor employed boiler plate/standard/supply side/Reaganomics at a state level. We can now look and see how that turned out.We can compare that to Minnesota or California. It can be objective.

Of course there are the trolls who just mindlessly and, I would argue, maliciously try to spam the board with the dogmatic bullcrap but there are also posters like you, SemiAuto, Vertias, and others who are clearly smart but who, for whatever reason, subscribe to views and sources that simply do not hold water. I expect nothing from Sushijean/El Captain. But you guys... I hold you guys to a higher standard. You should know better.

Edited by JoyinMudville

Posted (edited)

Oh

Lovely sentiment.

I've been on business in Trumpland and it has been interesting to engage with some very lovely and hospitable people who voted for a man I find abhorrent and historically unfit for the office of president.

I generally try to find the good in people and, like you, I enjoy the give and take on this board. It has given me a unique insight into the minds and thought processes of people who hold political views different from my own and that has been valuable. We do need civil discourse. We need to remember that we're all Americans and we probably have far more in common with each other than we realize.

There's a great James Baldwin essay from "the Fire Next Time". He's a black homosexual at a time in America when discrimination was rampant in the North and segregation ruled the South. He was vicious in his critique of racism in this country.

At the time, there was a kind of pan-African movement going on. He goes to this activist conference somewhere in Africa. It's a total black power/we need to get back to our African roots/it's a universal struggle/we're all in this together/let's empower ourselves kind of event. The thing that is amazing about the essay is that after two days he comes to realize that, like it or not, he has more in common and is more connected to some white Alabama sheriff or some racist segregationist Southerner than he'll ever be to these Africans with whom he shares a skin color and common ancestry. He's a black man in 1950s Jim Crow America. He suffers daily humiliation. He is routinely emasculated. There are grave injustices. They're turning fire hoses and sicking dogs on black children. It is oppressive. It is vile and the hate is real.

But... first and foremost, he's an American and we're Americans as well.

The problem I have with a lot of the 'conservative' posters on this board is the seeming inability to discern what is credible. What is a good, valid source?

There actually are such things as facts. There actually is a scientific community and through thorough peer review they do arrive at some basic truths. There is empirical evidence. We do see real world consequences to policy initiatives - Kansas is an amazing example. A GOP governor employed boiler plate/standard/supply side/Reaganomics at a state level. We can now look and see how that turned out.We can compare that to Minnesota or California. It can be objective.

Of course there are the trolls who just mindlessly and, I would argue, maliciously try to spam the board with the dogmatic bullcrap but there are also posters like you, SemiAuto, Vertias, and others who are clearly smart but who, for whatever reason, subscribe to views and sources that simply do not hold water. I expect nothing from Sushijean/El Captain. But you guys... I hold you guys to a higher standard. You should know better.

Oh God, did Joy just call me "sentimental?"  I'm calling the moderators.  One of us needs to be banned.   ;)

We disagree on almost everything (politically), but I know if I am going to do it publically I damn well better bring the A-game.  You are a formidable lady.  

I don't come here to have a lovefest with people who agree with me.  I want to be challenged and have to do some homework.  So I hope there will always be a little Joy in Mudville.  

And now that my eyes are waking (and I found my glasses) that was a beautiful post.

I remember back in the 60's we had some lame brained meeting about race,  I don't know what possessed me, because I am a classic wallflower, but I went off that I would rather have a Black American at my side than a French or Belgian person that shares my skin color.  Probably my parents and my teachers.  And yet there were no Blacks in my graduating class.  

So Joy, have a beautiful day.  And watch out for Ms Maggie.  She is equally formidable but just as nice as you.  

Edited by jdsample

Good morning to you all.

Another day in paradise.

Yesterday was the success I knew it would be. Interacted with normal people who work hard like me, to provide for themselves and their families. They all love self determination and prosperity: we are all living the American Dream and enjoying the privileges that come with it.

Never ran into a leftists, they are increasingly hard to find, so that is why I come here to observe and to learn, to be prepared for the moment I find one.

Good morning to you all.

Another day in paradise.

Yesterday was the success I knew it would be. Interacted with normal people who work hard like me, to provide for themselves and their families. They all love self determination and prosperity: we are all living the American Dream and enjoying the privileges that come with it.

Never ran into a leftists, they are increasingly hard to find, so that is why I come here to observe and to learn, to be prepared for the moment I find one.

Hey, good night to everyone, and I apologize to everyone I did not personally insult today,  I will try to get to you tomorrow.  ;)