Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
birdfan55

Spring Training Observations

6 posts in this topic

I just got back from seeing the O's in Florida -- here are a few things that stood out to me while I was there: 

Last week I had the chance to head to Florida for some Spring Training baseball.  As part of my trip I saw five games – in five different ballparks – in four days.

Three of those games were Orioles games – a 12-5 win over the Red Sox on March 1…an 8-1 split squad loss to the Yankees on March 2…and a 5-2 loss to the Pirates on March 3.

Aside from the perfect weather and cold beer, there were a number of interesting Oriole-related nuggets from the trip.  To be clear…these are not things I “learned,” as it’s impossible to learn much in such a small sample size.  But there were some observations I was able to make…and here they are in no particular order:

1. Chris Lee looked great against the Pirates. In three innings of work, Lee gave up only one hit – a double to Starling Marte – and allowed just one run when Marte scored on Manny Machado’s error. But aside from that, Lee allowed nothing else – striking out two and enticing seven ground ball outs against Pittsburgh. Aside from the results, Lee looked like a pitcher in control – working quickly, pounding the strike zone and projecting the confidence of a seasoned Major Leaguer rather than a pitcher who has never pitched above Double-A.

2. Chance Sisco is doing a lot of observing. I only saw the Orioles’ next potential long-term answer at catcher hit once during my trip – he flew out to left against Pittsburgh’s Jared Lakind – but I did notice that he spent most of his time at games in Sarasota and Bradenton on the Orioles’ bench, rather than in the bullpen.

The rest of the observations are on this blog post: https://trustyourstuff.com/2017/03/07/7-observations-from-orioles-spring-training/

Thanks for sharing. I've heard a few random innings on the radio. It's good to hear those positive comments about Chris Lee. It's hard for me, as a laymen baseball fan, to know what positives/negatives to take away from the games, since so much of ST is about working on mechanics and fundamentals. But working quickly and hitting his spots seem like universal positives.   

Thanks. It's easy to be fooled by spring training performances (that's why I was careful not to suggest that Lee will be a breakout star in 2017.)  But it was good to see a young O's pitcher look so polished when most of the national "experts" say our farm system consists of Chance Sisco and nothing else.  

I could tell from the way your post read, that you were trying to avoid putting too much emphasis on the good points that you saw. I heard a few innings of the game against Boston. The end result looked good, the O's won. But they were playing against low level minor league substitutes. Just another example of how to gauge the games, and not get to excited or frustrated about the score.   

I will say this for Miley, at least he works fast. I have to believe that is to the benefit of his defense behind him.

It's hard to watch pitchers appear to do everything else on the mound but throw a pitch. See Tillman, Chris.

Birdman - good observation on Chris Lee.  I remember last spring that he impressed some other scouts.  There was a blurp in MLBtraderumors that a scout from another team was so impressed with what he saw out of Lee, that he thought he would be in the O's rotation by mid year.  But of course he got hurt after a fast start.  I'd look for him Baltimore in 2018 if he can pitch a full year in AA/AAA next year.  Just hope DD doesn't get an itchy trigger finger at the trade deadline.  He has a penchant for dealing our decent LH pitching prospects - ERod, Hader, Breault, Miranda.,