mockingbird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,771 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

Good experience?

Bad experience? 

Flying tomorrow morning.

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.

Native American Proverb

Iron and Wine

#2 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Not a bad experience.

Flew them once to the DR and back from BWI and in FTL the flight was around 20 mins late. They never announced they were boarding. They just started collecting tickets. Aside from that it's pretty typical. You just have to pay for everything.

#3 mockingbird

mockingbird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,771 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

Cool.  Thank you. 

We paid to check one bag (we are only going for 4 days...).  It wasn't much more than a carry on and I didn't trust that our bag is small enough for their carry on standards so rather than paying double at the counter I just checked it (to and from).  I have a medium sized purse that I can use as a personal item. 

Seats are already picked (both ways).  Checked in earlier and printed boarding passes.  Lateness can happen for any airline.  I waited 3 hours for AA a couple years ago. 

I don't care about food or beverages.  I can buy something at the airport after security check if needed.  We are just going to Orlando (and driving to Daytona).

They sure have a ton of negative reviews.  I was a little worried!!!!  I think most of the negative reviews are from people that didn't check the web site and didn't know that you have to pay for everything (except the smallish personal item...I even measured my purse.  lol.) 

Native American Proverb

Iron and Wine

#4 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

We didn't choose our seats and were still seated together. This is the same for the other budget airlines (Norwegian, WOW) we've flown, so I wouldn't do that in the future. You should be seated together if you book together, maybe not guaranteed, but I think the seat choice thing is to choose where you want to sit on the plane. Not whether you end up together.

They charge more for carry on luggage (I think) so check in is the way to go.

Have a nice trip. And just curious, Spirit flies to Ft Lauderdale which would have been closer to Daytona than Orlando...was there a reason you flew into Orlando?

Edited by Pickle20, 09 March 2017 - 02:55 PM.

#5 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

We didn't choose our seats and were still seated together. This is the same for the other budget airlines (Norwegian, WOW) we've flown, so I wouldn't do that in the future. You should be seated together if you book together, maybe not guaranteed, but I think the seat choice thing is to choose where you want to sit on the plane. Not whether you end up together.

They charge more for carry on luggage (I think) so check in is the way to go.

Have a nice trip. And just curious, Spirit flies to Ft Lauderdale which would have been closer to Daytona than Orlando...was there a reason you flew into Orlando?

Ptetty sure Fort Lauderdale is a lot further to Daytona than Orlando ......

I've driven to Daytona from Orlando before ......
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,646 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

Cool.  Thank you. 

We paid to check one bag (we are only going for 4 days...).  It wasn't much more than a carry on and I didn't trust that our bag is small enough for their carry on standards so rather than paying double at the counter I just checked it (to and from).  I have a medium sized purse that I can use as a personal item. 

Seats are already picked (both ways).  Checked in earlier and printed boarding passes.  Lateness can happen for any airline.  I waited 3 hours for AA a couple years ago. 

I don't care about food or beverages.  I can buy something at the airport after security check if needed.  We are just going to Orlando (and driving to Daytona).

They sure have a ton of negative reviews.  I was a little worried!!!!  I think most of the negative reviews are from people that didn't check the web site and didn't know that you have to pay for everything (except the smallish personal item...I even measured my purse.  lol.) 

I'm flying them to Ft Lauderdale in a couple of weeks for under $90 r/t. Unless we crash, I can't complain. 

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#7 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,000 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

Edited by Eastside Terp, 10 March 2017 - 07:47 AM.

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#8 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Multi - Lettered Brit.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,887 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

I'm flying them to Ft Lauderdale in a couple of weeks for under $90 r/t. Unless we crash, I can't complain.

Sit at the back, airplanes don't reverse into mountains. ;)
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

#9 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

Ptetty sure Fort Lauderdale is a lot further to Daytona than Orlando ......

I've driven to Daytona from Orlando before ......

You're right. Stupid iMaps. I punched in Daytona and it took me to Miami Beach for some reason and I didn't realize it.

#10 Hoot

Hoot

Not A Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,738 posts
  • LocationRavenstown

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

Wanted to book Spirit for our flight to SC in May but my daughter-in-law heard nothing good about them.. With the cost of a carry on it wasn't a lot of difference between them and AA.. except we have a layover in Charlotte for about 90 minutes.

Let me know what you think mock, I'm curious. 

#11 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,000 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

I just compared them against my southwest flight in may to Fort Lauderdale and they are more expensive before adding bag fees .....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#12 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,836 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:49 AM

Cool.  Thank you. 

Hope you're coming back today...otherwise you might get some extended vacation time!

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,646 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

I just compared them against my southwest flight in may to Fort Lauderdale and they are more expensive before adding bag fees .....

Maybe it's because I'm flying weekday, but they beat Southwest for my flight to FLL, even with my one bag fee both ways. Airline pricing can be confusing.

#14 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,785 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

It's always Southwest for me domestically and Jamaica. I like keeping it simple and they make it easy. Their new 737-800's are great with more storage and, seemingly, leg room.

#15 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,836 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

It's always Southwest for me domestically and Jamaica. I like keeping it simple and they make it easy. Their new 737-800's are great with more storage and, seemingly, leg room.

I was on one of those new SW jets coming f from San Juan, agree with what you said- but I thought the seat was really uncomfortable .

#16 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,707 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Southwest is my spirit airline.

#17 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,000 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

Maybe it's because I'm flying weekday, but they beat Southwest for my flight to FLL, even with my one bag fee both ways. Airline pricing can be confusing.

Yea, it is confusing.....

I did sw to Fort Lauderdale in Jan on Wed to Wed and it was $69 each way so a little more than your rt. ..

A lot depends on timing ......

Last year I grabbed 4 of the 6 tickets sw had at the lowest price at 0600 on the morning they were posted and flew tge family to Seattle on credit card points .....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,646 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Yea, it is confusing.....

I did sw to Fort Lauderdale in Jan on Wed to Wed and it was $69 each way so a little more than your rt. ..

A lot depends on timing ......

Last year I grabbed 4 of the 6 tickets sw had at the lowest price at 0600 on the morning they were posted and flew tge family to Seattle on credit card points .....

I'm flying Wednesday, coming back on a friday. Southwest had a $69 flight down, but the cheapest coming back was $87 at 5:30 AM. My Sprit flight is under $100 r/t

#19 mockingbird

mockingbird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,771 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

We flew Spirit because we had the ability to be flexible with what days and times we could fly and it was super cheap.  We checked one bag.  Checked in a head of time and printed out our boarding passes the day before. 

Our Friday flight was delayed for about an hour and a half because it was coming from Detroit and there was a lot of wind.  No big deal.  Just had a few bloodies at the bar. 

Boarding was just like any other plane, IMO.  We had zones and lined up accordingly.

Our flight home was Monday, scheduled to get in around like 5:55.  The plane was completely on time both ways.  I have no complaints. 

Native American Proverb

Iron and Wine

#20 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,646 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

We flew Spirit because we had the ability to be flexible with what days and times we could fly and it was super cheap. We checked one bag. Checked in a head of time and printed out our boarding passes the day before.

Our Friday flight was delayed for about an hour and a half because it was coming from Detroit and there was a lot of wind. No big deal. Just had a few bloodies at the bar.

Boarding was just like any other plane, IMO. We had zones and lined up accordingly.

Our flight home was Monday, scheduled to get in around like 5:55. The plane was completely on time both ways. I have no complaints.

Good to know Mock :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users