Followers 0
mockingbird

Spirit Airline

25 posts in this topic

Good experience?

Bad experience? 

Flying tomorrow morning.

Not a bad experience.

Flew them once to the DR and back from BWI and in FTL the flight was around 20 mins late. They never announced they were boarding. They just started collecting tickets. Aside from that it's pretty typical. You just have to pay for everything.

Cool.  Thank you. 

We paid to check one bag (we are only going for 4 days...).  It wasn't much more than a carry on and I didn't trust that our bag is small enough for their carry on standards so rather than paying double at the counter I just checked it (to and from).  I have a medium sized purse that I can use as a personal item. 

Seats are already picked (both ways).  Checked in earlier and printed boarding passes.  Lateness can happen for any airline.  I waited 3 hours for AA a couple years ago. 

I don't care about food or beverages.  I can buy something at the airport after security check if needed.  We are just going to Orlando (and driving to Daytona).

They sure have a ton of negative reviews.  I was a little worried!!!!  I think most of the negative reviews are from people that didn't check the web site and didn't know that you have to pay for everything (except the smallish personal item...I even measured my purse.  lol.) 

Posted (edited)

We didn't choose our seats and were still seated together. This is the same for the other budget airlines (Norwegian, WOW) we've flown, so I wouldn't do that in the future. You should be seated together if you book together, maybe not guaranteed, but I think the seat choice thing is to choose where you want to sit on the plane. Not whether you end up together.

They charge more for carry on luggage (I think) so check in is the way to go.

Have a nice trip. And just curious, Spirit flies to Ft Lauderdale which would have been closer to Daytona than Orlando...was there a reason you flew into Orlando?

Edited by Pickle20

We didn't choose our seats and were still seated together. This is the same for the other budget airlines (Norwegian, WOW) we've flown, so I wouldn't do that in the future. You should be seated together if you book together, maybe not guaranteed, but I think the seat choice thing is to choose where you want to sit on the plane. Not whether you end up together.

They charge more for carry on luggage (I think) so check in is the way to go.

Have a nice trip. And just curious, Spirit flies to Ft Lauderdale which would have been closer to Daytona than Orlando...was there a reason you flew into Orlando?

Ptetty sure Fort Lauderdale is a lot further to Daytona than Orlando ......

I've driven to Daytona from Orlando before ......

Cool.  Thank you. 

We paid to check one bag (we are only going for 4 days...).  It wasn't much more than a carry on and I didn't trust that our bag is small enough for their carry on standards so rather than paying double at the counter I just checked it (to and from).  I have a medium sized purse that I can use as a personal item. 

Seats are already picked (both ways).  Checked in earlier and printed boarding passes.  Lateness can happen for any airline.  I waited 3 hours for AA a couple years ago. 

I don't care about food or beverages.  I can buy something at the airport after security check if needed.  We are just going to Orlando (and driving to Daytona).

They sure have a ton of negative reviews.  I was a little worried!!!!  I think most of the negative reviews are from people that didn't check the web site and didn't know that you have to pay for everything (except the smallish personal item...I even measured my purse.  lol.) 

I'm flying them to Ft Lauderdale in a couple of weeks for under $90 r/t. Unless we crash, I can't complain. 

Posted (edited)

Edited by Eastside Terp

I'm flying them to Ft Lauderdale in a couple of weeks for under $90 r/t. Unless we crash, I can't complain.

Sit at the back, airplanes don't reverse into mountains. ;)

Ptetty sure Fort Lauderdale is a lot further to Daytona than Orlando ......

I've driven to Daytona from Orlando before ......

You're right. Stupid iMaps. I punched in Daytona and it took me to Miami Beach for some reason and I didn't realize it.

Wanted to book Spirit for our flight to SC in May but my daughter-in-law heard nothing good about them.. With the cost of a carry on it wasn't a lot of difference between them and AA.. except we have a layover in Charlotte for about 90 minutes.

Let me know what you think mock, I'm curious. 

I just compared them against my southwest flight in may to Fort Lauderdale and they are more expensive before adding bag fees .....

Cool.  Thank you. 

Hope you're coming back today...otherwise you might get some extended vacation time!

I just compared them against my southwest flight in may to Fort Lauderdale and they are more expensive before adding bag fees .....

Maybe it's because I'm flying weekday, but they beat Southwest for my flight to FLL, even with my one bag fee both ways. Airline pricing can be confusing.

It's always Southwest for me domestically and Jamaica. I like keeping it simple and they make it easy. Their new 737-800's are great with more storage and, seemingly, leg room.

It's always Southwest for me domestically and Jamaica. I like keeping it simple and they make it easy. Their new 737-800's are great with more storage and, seemingly, leg room.

I was on one of those new SW jets coming f from San Juan, agree with what you said- but I thought the seat was really uncomfortable .

Southwest is my spirit airline.

Maybe it's because I'm flying weekday, but they beat Southwest for my flight to FLL, even with my one bag fee both ways. Airline pricing can be confusing.

Yea, it is confusing.....

I did sw to Fort Lauderdale in Jan on Wed to Wed and it was $69 each way so a little more than your rt. ..

A lot depends on timing ......

Last year I grabbed 4 of the 6 tickets sw had at the lowest price at 0600 on the morning they were posted and flew tge family to Seattle on credit card points .....

Yea, it is confusing.....

I did sw to Fort Lauderdale in Jan on Wed to Wed and it was $69 each way so a little more than your rt. ..

A lot depends on timing ......

Last year I grabbed 4 of the 6 tickets sw had at the lowest price at 0600 on the morning they were posted and flew tge family to Seattle on credit card points .....

I'm flying Wednesday, coming back on a friday. Southwest had a $69 flight down, but the cheapest coming back was $87 at 5:30 AM. My Sprit flight is under $100 r/t

We flew Spirit because we had the ability to be flexible with what days and times we could fly and it was super cheap.  We checked one bag.  Checked in a head of time and printed out our boarding passes the day before. 

Our Friday flight was delayed for about an hour and a half because it was coming from Detroit and there was a lot of wind.  No big deal.  Just had a few bloodies at the bar. 

Boarding was just like any other plane, IMO.  We had zones and lined up accordingly.

Our flight home was Monday, scheduled to get in around like 5:55.  The plane was completely on time both ways.  I have no complaints. 

We flew Spirit because we had the ability to be flexible with what days and times we could fly and it was super cheap. We checked one bag. Checked in a head of time and printed out our boarding passes the day before.

Our Friday flight was delayed for about an hour and a half because it was coming from Detroit and there was a lot of wind. No big deal. Just had a few bloodies at the bar.

Boarding was just like any other plane, IMO. We had zones and lined up accordingly.

Our flight home was Monday, scheduled to get in around like 5:55. The plane was completely on time both ways. I have no complaints.

Good to know Mock :)

The thing with Spirit is you have to check their website when booking your flight because you really do have to pay extra and everything is double at the ticket counter.  You have to pay for a carry on as well as a checked bag... I think we paid around $40 each way for a checked bag (its about the same price for a carry on).  We knew we would be bringing stuff back for the kiddos.  We could have probably fit our clothing in my personal item bag but we didn't want to chance paying double at the counter.  I paid $26 dollars for travel insurance because it was worth it to me and my anxiety.  I paid $14 (round trip) for our seats.  The flight was packed both ways so I am glad that I did that because of course I wanted to sit next to hubby.

Everyone was nice and courteous.  I really think most of the negativity its because people don't realize that you have to go to the website and check through things.  I completely understood the delay on Friday... super thankful that we were on time Monday evening.  Whew!!!! 

The seats are very small but I think most regular airline seats are pretty small.       

The thing with Spirit is you have to check their website when booking your flight because you really do have to pay extra and everything is double at the ticket counter. You have to pay for a carry on as well as a checked bag... I think we paid around $40 each way for a checked bag (its about the same price for a carry on). We knew we would be bringing stuff back for the kiddos. We could have probably fit our clothing in my personal item bag but we didn't want to chance paying double at the counter. I paid $26 dollars for travel insurance because it was worth it to me and my anxiety. I paid $14 (round trip) for our seats. The flight was packed both ways so I am glad that I did that because of course I wanted to sit next to hubby.

Everyone was nice and courteous. I really think most of the negativity its because people don't realize that you have to go to the website and check through things. I completely understood the delay on Friday... super thankful that we were on time Monday evening. Whew!!!!

The seats are very small but I think most regular airline seats are pretty small.

Yeah I'm going to pay for my bag before my flight date gets here. I'm flying alone which makes it more attractive to me. and trust me I'm a loyal SW flyer. But when I can fly r/t on Spirit for half the price of SW(bag fee included), I have to take that deal. I can deal with a small seat for a 2 1/2 hour flight for that kind of savings.

Used Spirit exclusively from Balto to Myrtle Beach and back over the last four years or so. Once RT for under $50.  Last year had a flight four hour delay going to Balto. I was updated every 30 minutes by email.  Headed to airport with an hour to spare and home several hours later than expected.  No problems.  Received a coupon for full cost of flight one way in the mail a week later.  

Used Spirit exclusively from Balto to Myrtle Beach and back over the last four years or so. Once RT for under $50. Last year had a flight four hour delay going to Balto. I was updated every 30 minutes by email. Headed to airport with an hour to spare and home several hours later than expected. No problems. Received a coupon for full cost of flight one way in the mail a week later.

Now that's what I call customer service.

We flew with them once and my girlfriend refuses to fly with them anymore. She says she'd rather pay more than to fly with them. She felt like we were sardines stuffed in a can. By the time we paid baggage fees we we could have flown Southwest for about the same price.

B)