Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Struds

As Expected; Webb Cut

14 posts in this topic

He had his moments, but overall, I felt he was overpaid. And, yes, I said that back when he signed his big contract.

"The list of players who have been Ravens longer than Lardarius Webb includes just four names: quarterback Joe Flacco, guard Marshal Yanda, punter Sam Koch and rush linebacker Terrell Suggs.

Webb’s eight-year tenure with the organization now appears to be over as the Ravens have released the veteran defensive back who has been a full-time starter with the team since 2011, and started all 16 games last year. The moves comes a day after the Ravens finalized a deal with former Arizona Cardinal Tony Jefferson, the top free-agent safety on the market, and spent big to keep nose tackle Brandon Williams.

Webb’s release creates $5.5 million of salary cap space, and continues the Ravens’ efforts to revamp their secondary. Cornerback Shareece Wright and safety Kendrick Lewis were also released this week. Reserve safeties Matt Elam and Anthony Levine Sr. are also unrestricted free agents."

Webb was a great corner before that first injury. He was just never the same after that. Seems like a good guy and I wish him the best.

So if the draft is as deep in CB's as they claim, Ravens should be able to get a good one, even if they use their second or one of their thirds. 

I guess the new problem is the O-Line.

Great player at his best. I wish him well. He was a good Ravens.

As Mike noted, Webb was a damn good corner before his injury--suffered when he was playing special teams during a game that was already decided. I can still recall how pissed off I was with Harbaugh about that at the time.

What always impressed me was willing he was to help in run support, something in which not all CBs like to involve themselves.

Best wishes to him.

I liked him, but it was clear the team could not stand pat in the secondary and his cap hit was steep. Good move, wish him well.

The Tony Jefferson signing was a message as big as sky writing that Webb's days with the Ravens were coming to an end.

From a personnel standpoint, this is something that probably should have happened sooner since Webb hasn't been the same since his injury. That lucrative contract he signed back in 2011 is big even by 2017 standards and he never lived up to it. Webb was just fortunate that the Ravens never seemed to have better options in the secondary.

There's talk of Webb coming back to the Ravens at a reduced salary to serve as a backup or a nickel back. I tend to doubt it. It's still very much a seller's market for safeties and Webb will most likely end up elsewhere for more money than the Ravens would be willing to offer. I hope he does. He's a good guy and a class act.

Bummer, I have a Webb jersey.

Is there a law that if he goes to another team you can't wear that jersey. I have a Ray Lewis and an Ed Reed jersey. I still wear those am I breaking the law? 

Bummer, I have a Webb jersey.

I broke down and bought a customized one with my name. Got it for about $70 (includes shipping) from China. Looks identical to the real deal.

I broke down and bought a customized one with my name. Got it for about $70 (includes shipping) from China. Looks identical to the real deal.

You must not have gotten a purple one then. All the knock offs that are supposed to be purple look like Giant blue to me. 

Is there a law that if he goes to another team you can't wear that jersey. I have a Ray Lewis and an Ed Reed jersey. I still wear those am I breaking the law? 

They are both Ravens legends and future HOF so you're safe.  Plus, Ray was only ever a Raven and Reed only had one season for another team.

The last jersey I bought, I tried to pick someone I thought would be always a Raven, so I went with Haloti Ngata. I donated that shirt to a church share shop. What's worse, at the same time I bought my son a Ray Rice jersey, a key player and real nice guy. Just shows you the whole deal is a crap shoot. I would definitely go with #52 or #20.

The last jersey I bought, I tried to pick someone I thought would be always a Raven, so I went with Haloti Ngata. I donated that shirt to a church share shop. What's worse, at the same time I bought my son a Ray Rice jersey, a key player and real nice guy. Just shows you the whole deal is a crap shoot. I would definitely go with #52 or #20.

I also have a Flacco that I got in his second season so that's survived.  My Mark Clayton jersey didn't have a long life though.

I also have a Heap jersey so I may be safe on that. I think he retired as a Raven. Yes Ray Rice was a bad choice but no one knew back then. I remember seeing his jersey's at second hand stores after his incident.