• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

Final yesterday at the Brine King Of Spring Classic in N..C. Calvert Hall (Md.) downed Lambert (Ga.) 12-6. JR Jacob Kelly w/ 2G, 4A. FR Daniel Kelly w/ 3G.

According to Varsity Sports Network, multi-point performances were also turned in by JT Bugliosi (1 goal, 2 assist), Omari DeBerry (2 goals) and Brendan Curry (1 goal, 1 assist). Single goals were scored by Zach Green, Connor Mitchell and Justin Mintzer.

Edited by TheGuru, 12 March 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#2 George VII

George VII

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

They followed that up with a 17-1 win over Greensboro Day School on Sunday.  Next up is the Hill Academy.  Hope the Cards fare well in the game against a team filled with 19 year olds.  

#3 Murph

Murph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

Cardinals were very impressive in NC. Lambert is a quality opponent, GDS not so much. I'm told what jumps out at you about this team is CHC's depth. Attack loaded, 2 High quality MIAA ready midfields. More size and athleticism than they have had in a long while. Defense is suspect however. Hill Academy of course will be a war. Full disclosure I am a Cardinal Homer. Some of this enthusiasm is fueled by hope. My info does come from qualified observers though.....

#4 Tiger1012

Tiger1012

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

Final yesterday at the Brine King Of Spring Classic in N..C. Calvert Hall (Md.) downed Lambert (Ga.) 12-6. JR Jacob Kelly w/ 2G, 4A. FR Daniel Kelly w/ 3G.

According to Varsity Sports Network, multi-point performances were also turned in by JT Bugliosi (1 goal, 2 assist), Omari DeBerry (2 goals) and Brendan Curry (1 goal, 1 assist). Single goals were scored by Zach Green, Connor Mitchell and Justin Mintzer.

According to my sources there is a young freshman that is getting a lot of run at CHC for the lacrosse team.  Turns out he was a freshman QB on varsity..I guess FootballUBet needs to know theres a superior athelete in the house over on LaSalle Road...

#5 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

Guess so, you know how them Lacrosse guys do it, take an Xtra year or two maybe

Edited by jbmad, 13 March 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#6 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

FOS Chance Campbell (LB) and M Omari DeBerry (QB) are two more multi-sport athletes on Coach Bryan Kelly's squad.

In the VSN article Kelly called out defenders Dan DiPeso, George Walsh, Parker Byrd, Jack Connelly, PJ Peters, Connor Maher, Trey Smith, Collin Allen, and Ryan Swain for their effort the first game. Goalie Liam Barrage also started in goal for the Cardinals and made nine saves to kick off the season.

#7 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,074 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

FOS Chance Campbell (LB) and M Omari DeBerry (QB) are two more multi-sport athletes on Coach Bryan Kelly's squad.
In the VSN article Kelly called out defenders Dan DiPeso, George Walsh, Parker Byrd, Jack Connelly, PJ Peters, Connor Maher, Trey Smith, Collin Allen, and Ryan Swain for their effort the first game. Goalie Liam Barrage also started in goal for the Cardinals and made nine saves to kick off the season.

I thought DeBerry quit football.

#8 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

I thought DeBerry quit football.

He did. He still received two Varsity letters. I didn't mean to insinuate he was still playing football.

#9 Downlow

Downlow

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

JBmad is right on. I love how people love to taught freshmen this and freshmen that. Meanwhile the kid is 16 years old. Many 16 year olds are juniors. He's a great athlete but keep it real.

#10 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

Right on Downtown, this is happening way to often in high school sports. Seems to be getting worse since the NCAA made its changes. Tiger running his mouth until called out now crickets

#11 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

I read the LaxPower message board this time of the year and they "spill all the tea" about the shady dealings in the local and national Lax scene. They hate overage reclassed players, rampant transfers, kids committing to colleges while in the 8th grade, etc... You do get good info about players and teams, though.

#12 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

Exactly Guru, these guys boasting over a kid playing against Varsity competition as a FRESHMAN, but don't give all the facts, like that certain kids should already be Jr or at least Soph. Kids who are 16 as FRESHMAN have a huge physical and mental advantage over REAL FRESHMAN who are age 13/14

#13 pmore108

pmore108

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

Read a lot of laxpower, definitely a lot of pushback on the early recruiting and reclassing simply for sports. Also a lot of good info about the scene both locally and nationally.

As far as reclassing goes, it is more common but still rare as many posters will point out.

#14 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

If you think it's rare go check rosters in the Bmore area

#15 pmore108

pmore108

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

i should say it's rare that it happens in middle school for athletic reasons. Many parents do it for boys at a younger age, I doubt anyone is predicting future athletic ability at that point.

#16 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

Doesn't matter when it's done, it's done more often than you think

#17 50defense

50defense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

CHS is legit this year and the entire MIAA is really good this spring. St. Pauls has a great goalie and an attack that could compete at the DII level right now.

I hesitate to address this because the chatter is actually about the great game of lacrosse but...

A lot of private schools use a pre-first curriculum which is why many of the kids are a year older than public school kids.  Holdbacks are not a prevalent as you may think. I used to be the king hater of holdbacks until I got to know the system a little better.  This is especially true for kids who transfer in 8th or 9th grade from public to private.  In order to compete they do a "do over" year.  No harm, no foul.  If it helps the kid, who cares.  Since MIAA schools operate under the same rules I see no issue with kids being older.  Just understand that you cannot compare public to private kids.

As I have mentioned on this board before, you can find many older kids on city public school rosters because of inconsistent attendance and residency histories.  Many freshman enter city schools at 15 or 16 years old.  A county freshman is different than a city freshman.

#18 Downlow

Downlow

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

50defense. You are right but when daddy's get on public forums to brag about their freshmen star there should be full disclosure. Your kid is not a true freshmen and although a good athlete their are many sophomores and juniors the same age that are just as good. Let's see how good he is his senior year when all boys are through puberty. Then you can beat your chest and not teach your child humility. BTW. There are 20 other freshmen lacrosse players in the MIAA A that are just as good or better. But don't tell his dad that. Sit back and learn something from their silence. Be proud, be humble. And remember, there's 7.39999 billion people on this planet that could care less about lacrosse or if your son is good or not.

#19 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

50 in this case we are not talking about a kid who did the pre first grade route, but one who was done for a better advantage in as you say the great game of Lacrosse. And when someone comes on here to boast and call another father out about how great this FRESHMAN is, he is going to get a ear full.

#20 Murph

Murph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

If you all are keeping it real than know that the athlete is 15. Get all your facts straight haters. Great kid, great player.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users