Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmore_ken

Ravens Trade Jeremy Zuttah To San Francisco 49ers

46 posts in this topic

Run game isnt a huge need imo

They just need talent. Who on the team is particularly talented outside of a handful of defensive starters? Maybe Perriman? Yanda? Is there anyone else?

They just need talent. Who on the team is particularly talented outside of a handful of defensive starters? Maybe Perriman? Yanda? Is there anyone else?

I agree they need talent but put Leonard behind a terrible line in the nfl will only have the fanbase ownership and FO looking silly

Build up front is what i would do

I don't look at fournette and just think run game. IMO he affects every aspect from offense to defense. He'll improve Flacco just by virtue of passing less, running more. He'll batter teams and bleed them out in the 4th quarter- giving our defense rest when they need it. All those 3rd and longs we had? Now they're mostly 3rd and shorts. Defenses will start moving 8, 9 in the box, thereby freeing up speedsters on the outside to go one on one.

He changes the face of the franchise if he pans out. You also don't have to worry as much about finding an o-lineman. Just watch his tape- He's his own o-line if that makes sense.

Posted (edited)

I don't look at fournette and just think run game. IMO he affects every aspect from offense to defense. He'll improve Flacco just by virtue of passing less, running more. He'll batter teams and bleed them out in the 4th quarter- giving our defense rest when they need it. All those 3rd and longs we had? Now they're mostly 3rd and shorts. Defenses will start moving 8, 9 in the box, thereby freeing up speedsters on the outside to go one on one.

He changes the face of the franchise if he pans out. You also don't have to worry as much about finding an o-lineman. Just watch his tape- He's his own o-line if that makes sense.

You're assuming Marty will change his philosophy. We already had running backs who could do that if the OC was willing. The line needs help with Zuttah and Wagner gone. The last thing we need to do is waste a 1st rd pick on a rb running behind a weak line

Edited by bmore_ken

I agree they need talent but put Leonard behind a terrible line in the nfl will only have the fanbase ownership and FO looking silly

Build up front is what i would do

I know your game bleeding... you just want cincy to take him so you can watch him run us over the next decade or so!

I know your game bleeding... you just want cincy to take him so you can watch him run us over the next decade or so!

You think you know ????

You're assuming Marty will change his philosophy. We already had running backs who could do that if the OC was willing. The line needs help with Zuttah and Wagner gone

That's true- I'm assuming Marty isn't an idiot but maybe that's where I'm an idiot! Also our line is okay- it's not great but not terrible either. Zuttah gone actually helps if you ask me- I think taking him off our line will improve it. If Dixon averaged over 4 yds a carry last yr Fournette should get 5. We have Stanley and Lewis (no longer rookies) with Yanda - those three are pretty good. We can draft a center in round 3 I think, and hopefully develop some of our own guys. This team is good at finding O-line gems it seems. 

You're assuming Marty will change his philosophy. We already had running backs who could do that if the OC was willing. The line needs help with Zuttah and Wagner gone. The last thing we need to do is waste a 1st rd pick on a rb running behind a weak line

Agreed

West

Woodhead

Dixon would be great behind a much improved line

Upgrades needed at the WR/Oline/DB position

You know what- it's a pipe dream as it is. I think he's gone within top 5 or 6 and we won't slaughter our draft picks to go get him. But right now till April 30th or whenever the hell the draft is I can dream of fournette in purple.

I wouldnt be surprised if Ozzie trades down

Neither would I. Esp. for an O-line man - he could easily trade down a few spots and get Cam or Ramzyck, and then take a center as well in the 3rd. It's like the disgustingly bitter medicine you don't want to take but in the end you know it'll make you better...

Agreed

West

Woodhead

Dixon would be great behind a much improved line

Upgrades needed at the WR/Oline/DB position

Totally agree on all points.

I'm really hoping Ozzie has a repeat of the 2016 draft and knocks it out of the park.  Do that, and this team will be very good for the foreseable future. 

I still maintain that the Ravens have the fewest holes and fewest questions of any team in the AFCN, and I will go out on a limb and say if they play their cards right they can be at the top of it for the next five years or so until they need to replace Flacco and probably start over a bit.

That's true- I'm assuming Marty isn't an idiot but maybe that's where I'm an idiot! Also our line is okay- it's not great but not terrible either. Zuttah gone actually helps if you ask me- I think taking him off our line will improve it. If Dixon averaged over 4 yds a carry last yr Fournette should get 5. We have Stanley and Lewis (no longer rookies) with Yanda - those three are pretty good. We can draft a center in round 3 I think, and hopefully develop some of our own guys. This team is good at finding O-line gems it seems. 

Loosing wagner makes the line waaaay worse. And Zuttah was horrible. We need at least one more blue chipper on the o-line. Bottom line, when Joe has time he can pick apart a defense. But if he has any pressure at all he's terrible since the injury. Whether or not he gun shy makes a big difference and if you look at the film the interior line was a jail break. This is the first year I've ever felt we need to address a position in the first round. I've been a BPA guy every draft, but the window is closing on Joe and he needs a superior o-line, not just "0k" at this point in his career. I'm gonna look at FA for Wagner right now. I didn't think they would let him walk. I think that is a big mistake.

Anyone know why there seems to be no interest in Mangold? Too old? Too pricey?

I just can't get excited about spending a top pick on a RB when the coaching staff the last two seasons has basically acted like calling a running play is against the rules.  I didn't see it as anywhere near a top weakness talent-wise when they actually CALLED a run.  They just flat out refused to call it.  I mean, this offense led the NFL in pass/run ratio last season.  Week after week John and/or the OC would talk about how they wanted to run more, they would run more, etc... then did the opposite EVERY single Sunday.  Until they act like they can run a balanced offense, no need to waste a high pick on a RB.

Anyone know why there seems to be no interest in Mangold? Too old? Too pricey?

Both

Loosing wagner makes the line waaaay worse. And Zuttah was horrible. We need at least one more blue chipper on the o-line. Bottom line, when Joe has time he can pick apart a defense. But if he has any pressure at all he's terrible since the injury. Whether or not he gun shy makes a big difference and if you look at the film the interior line was a jail break. This is the first year I've ever felt we need to address a position in the first round. I've been a BPA guy every draft, but the window is closing on Joe and he needs a superior o-line, not just "0k" at this point in his career. I'm gonna look at FA for Wagner right now. I didn't think they would let him walk. I think that is a big mistake.

The jailbreak you describe often seemed to happen on critical passing plays in big moments near the end of games.  I thought early in the year there was no question Joe's knee was holding him back.  As the year went on you could see him trusting it more, and being back to his old, fairly mobile self.  However, with the turnstyle that Zuttah was, most any QB would be a git gunshy when it comes to stepping up in the pocket.  Constantly having guys around your feet and knees is disconcerting for most. 

Wagner was "ok" IMO.  He was a middle of the pack talent, and he got overpaid.  The Ravens have, in past done a decent job of getting o-line guys when they really needed to, and I think that is why they refuse to overpay.  Guys like Oher, Osemele, Brown, etc.  This could be a draft where they really focus on offense since they've been focusing mostly on defense so far this offseason, and also because of the young talent on defense that they have. 

I feel good about them parting ways with Zuttah.

I don't think they could hold onto both Wagner and Williams. I think they see Williams taking on a leadership position on the defense, so that may have been an additional plus in deciding to try to keep him.

And yes they now need a RT and a C, but I really hope they find a way to get a bona fide playmaker! 

I don't think the philosophy of winning with a stellar line and a couple of guys who can catch is the solution.

They need WR's that can get separation. I"ve seen Joe run around the back field for what feels like lengthy periods of time only to get sacked anyways. Why?  No receiver separation downfield, only the RB's are free for 3-5 yards. I don't have much confidence in Wallace or Perriman. And I'm not sorry they didn't get Torrey back. They need a real #1WR. And I"m not sure in this draft class how far they can let that need slide and still end up with someone legit.

And yes they now need a RT and a C, but I really hope they find a way to get a bona fide playmaker!

I don't think the philosophy of winning with a stellar line and a couple of guys who can catch is the solution.

They need WR's that can get separation. I"ve seen Joe run around the back field for what feels like lengthy periods of time only to get sacked anyways. Why? No receiver separation downfield, only the RB's are free for 3-5 yards. I don't have much confidence in Wallace or Perriman. And I'm not sorry they didn't get Torrey back. They need a real #1WR. And I"m not sure in this draft class how far they can let that need slide and still end up with someone legit.

This draft is all about BPA. We have enough weaknesses where they could take any ILB, CB, WR, Edge Rusher, OL, even RB- We have a lot of needs so just take the best guy left on the big board and more than likely they can plug him in.

Even if TE OJ Howard was their BPA at 16 and they couldn't find a trade back, I wouldn't be upset if they take him. We need playmakers anywhere and everywhere.

This draft is all about BPA. We have enough weaknesses where they could take any ILB, CB, WR, Edge Rusher, OL, even RB- We have a lot of needs so just take the best guy left on the big board and more than likely they can plug him in.

Even if TE OJ Howard was their BPA at 16 and they couldn't find a trade back, I wouldn't be upset if they take him. We need playmakers anywhere and everywhere.

Good points Poe, all good points.

I just think the offense needs the most help, and I'm thinking they're going to get a WR in the draft because they haven't picked up anyone in the FA. I'd rather see them get Smith-Schuster in round 2, than John Ross in round 1.

I don't  know how these guys hold up for a year Eugene Monroe's story of popping pain killers getting injections really kind of sad . I think offensive and defensive line depth could be a problem.