• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 mrdeltoid

mrdeltoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

Anyone know why there seems to be no interest in Mangold? Too old? Too pricey?

Both

#42 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

Loosing wagner makes the line waaaay worse. And Zuttah was horrible. We need at least one more blue chipper on the o-line. Bottom line, when Joe has time he can pick apart a defense. But if he has any pressure at all he's terrible since the injury. Whether or not he gun shy makes a big difference and if you look at the film the interior line was a jail break. This is the first year I've ever felt we need to address a position in the first round. I've been a BPA guy every draft, but the window is closing on Joe and he needs a superior o-line, not just "0k" at this point in his career. I'm gonna look at FA for Wagner right now. I didn't think they would let him walk. I think that is a big mistake.

The jailbreak you describe often seemed to happen on critical passing plays in big moments near the end of games.  I thought early in the year there was no question Joe's knee was holding him back.  As the year went on you could see him trusting it more, and being back to his old, fairly mobile self.  However, with the turnstyle that Zuttah was, most any QB would be a git gunshy when it comes to stepping up in the pocket.  Constantly having guys around your feet and knees is disconcerting for most. 

Wagner was "ok" IMO.  He was a middle of the pack talent, and he got overpaid.  The Ravens have, in past done a decent job of getting o-line guys when they really needed to, and I think that is why they refuse to overpay.  Guys like Oher, Osemele, Brown, etc.  This could be a draft where they really focus on offense since they've been focusing mostly on defense so far this offseason, and also because of the young talent on defense that they have. 

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#43 mikemor1

mikemor1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

I feel good about them parting ways with Zuttah.

I don't think they could hold onto both Wagner and Williams. I think they see Williams taking on a leadership position on the defense, so that may have been an additional plus in deciding to try to keep him.

And yes they now need a RT and a C, but I really hope they find a way to get a bona fide playmaker! 

I don't think the philosophy of winning with a stellar line and a couple of guys who can catch is the solution.

They need WR's that can get separation. I"ve seen Joe run around the back field for what feels like lengthy periods of time only to get sacked anyways. Why?  No receiver separation downfield, only the RB's are free for 3-5 yards. I don't have much confidence in Wallace or Perriman. And I'm not sorry they didn't get Torrey back. They need a real #1WR. And I"m not sure in this draft class how far they can let that need slide and still end up with someone legit.

#44 poefolks

poefolks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

And yes they now need a RT and a C, but I really hope they find a way to get a bona fide playmaker!
I don't think the philosophy of winning with a stellar line and a couple of guys who can catch is the solution.
They need WR's that can get separation. I"ve seen Joe run around the back field for what feels like lengthy periods of time only to get sacked anyways. Why? No receiver separation downfield, only the RB's are free for 3-5 yards. I don't have much confidence in Wallace or Perriman. And I'm not sorry they didn't get Torrey back. They need a real #1WR. And I"m not sure in this draft class how far they can let that need slide and still end up with someone legit.

This draft is all about BPA. We have enough weaknesses where they could take any ILB, CB, WR, Edge Rusher, OL, even RB- We have a lot of needs so just take the best guy left on the big board and more than likely they can plug him in.

Even if TE OJ Howard was their BPA at 16 and they couldn't find a trade back, I wouldn't be upset if they take him. We need playmakers anywhere and everywhere.

#45 mikemor1

mikemor1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:13 AM

This draft is all about BPA. We have enough weaknesses where they could take any ILB, CB, WR, Edge Rusher, OL, even RB- We have a lot of needs so just take the best guy left on the big board and more than likely they can plug him in.

Even if TE OJ Howard was their BPA at 16 and they couldn't find a trade back, I wouldn't be upset if they take him. We need playmakers anywhere and everywhere.

Good points Poe, all good points.

I just think the offense needs the most help, and I'm thinking they're going to get a WR in the draft because they haven't picked up anyone in the FA. I'd rather see them get Smith-Schuster in round 2, than John Ross in round 1.

#46 daravenator

daravenator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,136 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

I don't  know how these guys hold up for a year Eugene Monroe's story of popping pain killers getting injections really kind of sad . I think offensive and defensive line depth could be a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users