ms maggie

Trump budget cuts Meals on Wheels

138 posts in this topic

Which of these is a non-profit?

A proposal of the Trump budget, released Thursday morning, calls for the complete elimination of the Community Development Block Grant program, which operates under the Department of Housing and Urban Development and covers Meals on Wheels.

I volunteer my tax dollars to support this.

:lol: "I volunteer my tax dollars" 

Trump wants to get rid of block grants, MOW is under that program, doesn't mean it will be cut, even they stated they have no idea if that this will effect their program

.this is just fish food for the guppies.

Oh my . . . who the heck wants to cut Meals on Wheels?  By 35 percent?  Really?  And the lame excuse given by Budget Director, that MOW doesn't "show results?"  What the heck does that even mean?   What type of results is it supposed to show other than feeding the homebound elderly?

Edited by kandace

Whatever. Until Congress starts passing appropriations bills, none of this matters.

Technically that's true. It's the symbolic message being sent that disturbs me.

Clarification: An earlier headline for this story said President Trump's budget proposal would kill the Meals on Wheels program. Because Meals on Wheels gets funding from other sources, it might not actually be eliminated, but it could be severely curtailed.

"Might not"?  "Could"?

Trump wants to get rid of block grants, MOW is under that program, doesn't mean it will be cut, even they stated they have no idea if that this will effect their program

.this is just fish food for the guppies.

OK, this is "complicated" I warn you. Do you know what "counter-productive" means?

https://www.good.is/features/meals-on-wheels-trump-budget

"Ellie Hollander, President and CEO of Meals on Wheels America, said in a statement that the main problem with Trump’s proposed budget is “it is lean on details,” adding, “cuts of any kind to these highly successful and leveraged programs would be a devastating blow to our ability to provide much-needed care for millions of vulnerable seniors in America, which in turn saves billions of dollars in reduced health care expenses.”

A 2012 Brown University study echoes Hollander’s emphasis on health care savings, finding that simply investing more in delivering meals to seniors’ homes results in fewer people going to nursing homes. That’s because “low-care” seniors, those capable of living on their own with little assistance, can remain at home, thanks to funding via the Older Americans Act. This can translate into significant savings for both state and family medical costs. On average, Meals on Wheels reports it costs about $2,500 to provide a homebound senior with daily meals over one year—or roughly the same cost of an average one-day stay in the hospital or ten days in a nursing home."

Oh my . . . who the heck wants to cut Meals on Wheels? By 35 percent? Really? And the lame excuse given by Budget Director, that MOW doesn't "show results?" What the heck does that even mean? What type of results is it supposed to show other than feeding the homebound elderly?

Fake news.

The portion of their funding that comes from community development block grants is miniscule and closer to 3.5 percent.

Again, you leftists can go get a job, and then support all these groups from your own money.

So you don't think the government should help veterans, what a sad little person you are.

Whatever. Until Congress starts passing appropriations bills, none of this matters.

It's amazing how many people don't get this.

So you don't think the government should help veterans, what a sad little person you are.

The thread title is about MoW.

It is sad that you think that veterans will go without food if the government did not get involved.

It is sad that you think that veterans will go without food if the government did not get involved.

Because MoW feeds about 500,000 veterans.  I know a lot of veterans who come to the food pantry I volunteer at because the government doesn't help them.  So it is you are uninformed about what your government does and doesn't do.

I suppose there's always the option of dumpster diving.

Because MoW feeds about 500,000 veterans.  I know a lot of veterans who come to the food pantry I volunteer at because the government doesn't help them.  So it is you are uninformed about what your government does and doesn't do.

Think things through a little bit and actually read what I post before you go off on your high horse emotirade.

You are uninformed about how much would be cut from Meals On Wheels and used the veterans to personally attack that poster.

I guess that's easier than dealing with facts.

What about food stamps?  Don't they qualify for them?

What about food stamps?  Don't they qualify for them?

They probably would except that most are homeless and therefore have no address so cannot get food stamps.

Think things through a little bit and actually read what I post before you go off on your high horse emotirade.

I did.  You are a sad little person.