ms maggie

Trump budget cuts Meals on Wheels

138 posts in this topic

"a cute program"

You didn't explain anything with this post... how does this in any way shape or form address what I posted to you?

Anytime there is a threat of a cut for a program there is a big hub bub about something in that program that causes an uproar.

Just like whenever PBS is mentioned, Sesame Street is cried about. Now if they tried to use This Old House there would be less anger.

Did they go hungry?  I didn't say "So?"  That's your hyperbole comment.  

The point is that non-profits are always looking for ways to make up for lost funding. And your link is old news. Do you have an update that shows that MOW was able to recoup the funding that UW took away?

Did see a story where money is pouring in to MOW.

Did see a story where money is pouring in to MOW.

In President Donald Trump’s first budget proposal, he opted to cut federal funding for the Department of Health and Human Services, and eliminate Community Development Block Grants provided by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Meals on Wheels, a program that delivers meals free of charge to the elderly and poor, receives funds from both of these agencies.

Now, according to the Daily Dot, the vice president of communications at Meals on Wheels told Yahoo on Friday that they are receiving 50 times the normal amount of donations, and volunteer sign-up is up by 500%.

http://jacksonville.com/national/news/2017-03-18/meals-wheels-donations-volunteerism-increase-dramatically-trump-s-proposed

In President Donald Trump’s first budget proposal, he opted to cut federal funding for the Department of Health and Human Services, and eliminate Community Development Block Grants provided by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Meals on Wheels, a program that delivers meals free of charge to the elderly and poor, receives funds from both of these agencies.

Now, according to the Daily Dot, the vice president of communications at Meals on Wheels told Yahoo on Friday that they are receiving 50 times the normal amount of donations, and volunteer sign-up is up by 500%.

http://jacksonville.com/national/news/2017-03-18/meals-wheels-donations-volunteerism-increase-dramatically-trump-s-proposed

There you go, problem solved ......

Anytime there is a threat of a cut for a program there is a big hub bub about something in that program that causes an uproar.

Just like whenever PBS is mentioned, Sesame Street is cried about. Now if they tried to use This Old House there would be less anger.

I give up... you still didn't address my post one single bit

Did they go hungry? I didn't say "So?" That's your hyperbole comment.

The point is that non-profits are always looking for ways to make up for lost funding. And your link is old news. Do you have an update that shows that MOW was able to recoup the funding that UW took away?

Please. The safety net is pretty precarious as it is. Not just food but mental health, housing etc. When funding is pulled, that further worsens the situation.

These decisions have consequences. Not a big fan of just hoping somehow things will magically take care of themselves.

This budget targets the poor, the elderly, the rural. I'm not OK with that. And whitewashing it is complicity.

There you go, problem solved ......

And if it doesn't? If this is a one time blip-- which history suggests?

Meh.

Meh.

Cry out again ......

Meh.

They don't care because it doesn't affect them as currently they are not poor, rural or elderly.

Cry out again ......

Oh my. You are a tough customer. I know I'm impressed.