137 replies to this topic

#41 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

Whatever. Until Congress starts passing appropriations bills, none of this matters.

It's amazing how many people don't get this.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#42 grggngll

grggngll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

So you don't think the government should help veterans, what a sad little person you are.

The thread title is about MoW.

It is sad that you think that veterans will go without food if the government did not get involved.

#43 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

It is sad that you think that veterans will go without food if the government did not get involved.

Because MoW feeds about 500,000 veterans.  I know a lot of veterans who come to the food pantry I volunteer at because the government doesn't help them.  So it is you are uninformed about what your government does and doesn't do.

#44 Chesapeake Spirit

Chesapeake Spirit

King of the Neanderthals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

I suppose there's always the option of dumpster diving.

Panem et Circenses :rolleyes:

#45 grggngll

grggngll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

Because MoW feeds about 500,000 veterans.  I know a lot of veterans who come to the food pantry I volunteer at because the government doesn't help them.  So it is you are uninformed about what your government does and doesn't do.

Think things through a little bit and actually read what I post before you go off on your high horse emotirade.

#46 Ode2Joy

Ode2Joy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationZentralfriedhof

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:18 AM

You are uninformed about how much would be cut from Meals On Wheels and used the veterans to personally attack that poster.

I guess that's easier than dealing with facts.

#47 overtaxed

overtaxed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

What about food stamps?  Don't they qualify for them?

#48 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

"Might not"?  "Could"?

Makes a good headline. Like closing fire stations .......

#49 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

They probably would except that most are homeless and therefore have no address so cannot get food stamps.

#50 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Think things through a little bit and actually read what I post before you go off on your high horse emotirade.

I did.  You are a sad little person.

#51 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,507 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

What about food stamps? Don't they qualify for them?

http://www.politico....benefits-117553

#52 dogstarman

dogstarman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

Meals on wheels delivers cooked meals to old folks who aren't able to get around. 

Believe it or not, many octogenarians can't drive, can't get on public transport and can't walk very far let alone carry groceries. They are dependent on family and other caretakers for basic necessities. Meals on wheels provides them a hot meal and a check-in by a person once a day. 

These folks also typically do qualify for "food stamps" (btw, it hasn't been called "food stamps" for years, it is called SNAP and it's not stamps, but rather a special kind of debit card that is topped off monthly). 

Such services do serve to keep old people independent and and away from [very expensive] subsidized long-term nursing homes. 

Taking away the safety net of meals on wheels will hasten death and reliance on nursing homes.

#53 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,210 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

http://addictinginfo...us-arent-video/

Preast has been wheelchair-bound since she had a stroke two years ago and relies on Meals on Wheels for food. But now that it’s not just about building a wall and getting all those damn Muslims out of the country, now that **** is getting real, Preast is realizing she may have made a mistake.

Are you surprised?” CBS News correspondent Michelle Miller asked Preast about the cuts to the Meals on Wheels program.

“Yeah,” Preast said. “Because he was told ― I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

They just didn't listen.

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
~George Washington

Has Obama Taken Away Your Guns Yet?

#54 grggngll

grggngll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Meals on wheels delivers cooked meals to old folks who aren't able to get around. 

Believe it or not, many octogenarians can't drive, can't get on public transport and can't walk very far let alone carry groceries. They are dependent on family and other caretakers for basic necessities. Meals on wheels provides them a hot meal and a check-in by a person once a day. 

These folks also typically do qualify for "food stamps" (btw, it hasn't been called "food stamps" for years, it is called SNAP and it's not stamps, but rather a special kind of debit card that is topped off monthly). 

Such services do serve to keep old people independent and and away from [very expensive] subsidized long-term nursing homes. 

Taking away the safety net of meals on wheels will hasten death and reliance on nursing homes.

And all that can continue without the government.

#55 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

And all that can continue without the government.

Again, you leftists can go get a job, and then support all these groups from your own money.

#56 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

They probably would except that most are homeless and therefore have no address so cannot get food stamps.

Hi mrsmlh. I have no direct experience, but my mom in law was big into meals on wheels as a volunteer. In her case she would work with a local food pantry that supplied the food gifted thru charitable donations and food drives. 

I have been involved with getting food and clothing to people in tents in the woods, but meals on wheels doesn't typically deal with people that have no address. My MIL had a set list of addresses where older folk lived, but I don't remember any homeless. 

I just don't remember, and maybe I missed it, Federal Gov involvement at the ground level.

#57 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

Hi mrsmlh. I have no direct experience, but my mom in law was big into meals on wheels as a volunteer. In her case she would work with a local food pantry that supplied the food gifted thru charitable donations and food drives. 

I have been involved with getting food and clothing to people in tents in the woods, but meals on wheels doesn't typically deal with people that have no address. My MIL had a set list of addresses where older folk lived, but I don't remember any homeless. 

I just don't remember, and maybe I missed it, Federal Gov involvement at the ground level.

You are correct.  I mixed 2 different scenarios, sorry.  The church program where I volunteer does not require addresses and we have quite a few vets some of whom are homeless.  There were actually several people living in tents in the woods by my house until some neighbors complained and the cops made them leave.  My husband took them food and blankets once.

The Fed money goes to supplement what is donated.  The church program I volunteer at used to get some state money to help supplement the food that is donated.  I'm not sure if the Fed money goes directly to MoW or to the states and they give it to MoW.

#58 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,023 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

What is your favorite charity?

Judging by his postings, I doubt that he has a single charitable bone in his body.
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

#59 Sprightly

Sprightly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,756 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

For anyone interested:

Did President Trump Announce Plans to End the 'Meals on Wheels' Program?

http://www.snopes.co...eals-on-wheels/

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#60 kandace

kandace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,981 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

Oh my . . . who the heck wants to cut Meals on Wheels?  By 35 percent?  Really?  And the lame excuse given by Budget Director, that MOW doesn't "show results?"  What the heck does that even mean?   What type of results is it supposed to show other than feeding the homebound elderly?

Fake news.

The portion of their funding that comes from community development block grants is miniscule and closer to 3.5 percent.

The portion of the MOW subsidiaries' funding that comes from HHS's Community  Development Block Grants is 35 percent.  The overall proposed budget cut to HHS as a whole is 16 percent.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users