• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

United Way cut its funding to MOW in Seattle. Yes. All non-profits face lack of funding. Mine does. Do you have an update from a story that was written almost nine months ago?

Nine months ago? LOL welcome to Trump time. Nine months ago is just so non-tweety! How wonderful.

Your Trumpian attention span has led you to forget the original comment to which I was replying: you said you can't believe people will go hungry if MOW loses some funding.

My huuuuugely old link shows it already has happened. And there are numerous other examples you can find by googling.

Non-profits have financial challenges. So? By all means, let's lessen funding to the one that provides food and human contact for elderly people. Cuz you know, non-profits and money.

Edited by ms maggie, 20 March 2017 - 01:09 PM.

#122 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,359 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

Nine months ago? LOL welcome to Trump time. Nine months ago is just so non-tweety! How wonderful.

Your Trumpian attention span has led you to forget the original comment to which I was replying: you said you can't believe people will go hungry if MOW loses some funding.

My huuuuugely old link shows it already has happened. And there are numerous other examples you can find by googling.

There's no profit to be made on MoW. No doubt if we gave the contract to Burger King it would be another story. Plus most of the people receiving the meals would be dead faster thus moving along the Trump agenda by trimming away the dead weight.

Edited by zenwalk, 20 March 2017 - 01:08 PM.

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#123 Sprightly

Sprightly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,544 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

Non-profits have financial challenges. So? By all means, let's lessen funding to the one that provides food and human contact for elderly people. Cuz you know, non-profits and money.

Did they go hungry?  I didn't say "So?"  That's your hyperbole comment.  

The point is that non-profits are always looking for ways to make up for lost funding. And your link is old news. Do you have an update that shows that MOW was able to recoup the funding that UW took away?

Edited by Sprightly, 20 March 2017 - 01:16 PM.

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#124 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,785 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

There's no profit to be made on MoW. No doubt if we gave the contract to Burger King it would be another story. Plus most of the people receiving the meals would be dead faster thus moving along the Trump agenda by trimming away the dead weight.

Or as Trump puts it, "fixing the ghettos" .

#125 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,359 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

Or as Trump puts it, "fixing the ghettos" .

Transformative politics is another cute name for it. 

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#126 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,836 posts
  • Location¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

"a cute program"

#127 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

You didn't explain anything with this post... how does this in any way shape or form address what I posted to you?

Anytime there is a threat of a cut for a program there is a big hub bub about something in that program that causes an uproar.

Just like whenever PBS is mentioned, Sesame Street is cried about. Now if they tried to use This Old House there would be less anger.

#128 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Did they go hungry?  I didn't say "So?"  That's your hyperbole comment.  

The point is that non-profits are always looking for ways to make up for lost funding. And your link is old news. Do you have an update that shows that MOW was able to recoup the funding that UW took away?

Did see a story where money is pouring in to MOW.

#129 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,646 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

Did see a story where money is pouring in to MOW.

In President Donald Trump’s first budget proposal, he opted to cut federal funding for the Department of Health and Human Services, and eliminate Community Development Block Grants provided by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Meals on Wheels, a program that delivers meals free of charge to the elderly and poor, receives funds from both of these agencies.

Now, according to the Daily Dot, the vice president of communications at Meals on Wheels told Yahoo on Friday that they are receiving 50 times the normal amount of donations, and volunteer sign-up is up by 500%.
http://jacksonville....rump-s-proposed
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#130 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

In President Donald Trump’s first budget proposal, he opted to cut federal funding for the Department of Health and Human Services, and eliminate Community Development Block Grants provided by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Meals on Wheels, a program that delivers meals free of charge to the elderly and poor, receives funds from both of these agencies.

Now, according to the Daily Dot, the vice president of communications at Meals on Wheels told Yahoo on Friday that they are receiving 50 times the normal amount of donations, and volunteer sign-up is up by 500%.
http://jacksonville....rump-s-proposed

There you go, problem solved ......

#131 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,646 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:08 PM

Yeah because that's permanent :rolleyes:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#132 banner1124

banner1124

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,018 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

Anytime there is a threat of a cut for a program there is a big hub bub about something in that program that causes an uproar.

Just like whenever PBS is mentioned, Sesame Street is cried about. Now if they tried to use This Old House there would be less anger.

I give up... you still didn't address my post one single bit

*****HAIL TO THE REDSKINS*****

#133 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:52 AM

Did they go hungry? I didn't say "So?" That's your hyperbole comment.

Please. The safety net is pretty precarious as it is. Not just food but mental health, housing etc. When funding is pulled, that further worsens the situation.

These decisions have consequences. Not a big fan of just hoping somehow things will magically take care of themselves.

This budget targets the poor, the elderly, the rural. I'm not OK with that. And whitewashing it is complicity.

#134 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:54 AM

There you go, problem solved ......

And if it doesn't? If this is a one time blip-- which history suggests?

Meh.

#135 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

Meh.

Cry out again ......

#136 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,816 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:07 AM

Meh.

They don't care because it doesn't affect them as currently they are not poor, rural or elderly.

#137 Chesapeake Spirit

Chesapeake Spirit

King of the Neanderthals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:19 AM

Cry out again ......

It will be too late.

Panem et Circenses :rolleyes:

#138 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

Cry out again ......

Oh my. You are a tough customer. I know I'm impressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users