Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Israel bombed Syria. Syria responded by firing missiles at Israel

21 posts in this topic

As if things aren't complicated enough in Syria, Israel is expanding their aggression against Bashar Assad's military

CNN:

Israel targeted a military site near the ancient city of Palmyra, the Syrian military said, in what would be one of its deepest airstrikes inside Syrian territory since the civil war began there.

Palmyra, once held by ISIS and retaken by the Syrian government, is strategically important to both the regime and its opponents.

Most of Israel's reported strikes have been around the capital of Damascus, about 60 kilometers (37 miles) from the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

In response, Syrian forces fired anti-aircraft missiles at the Israeli jets, saying they downed one aircraft and hit another. Israeli vehemently denied the assertions, calling them "absolutely not true."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/17/middleeast/israel-jets-syria-strikes/

Israel should really not venture into messing with other Arab nations. It's bad enough that they are resorting to the same tactics that they were presented with towards the Palestinian people. Do they not realize that they are surrounded by Arab nations? 

Israel should really not venture into messing with other Arab nations. It's bad enough that they are resorting to the same tactics that they were presented with towards the Palestinian people. Do they not realize that they are surrounded by Arab nations?

They were surrounded in 1948 and kicked all of their arses.

I can't understand would bomb anything in Syria. When your enemies are working so hard at killing each other, why would you take chance on drawing their attention away from that task?

I can't understand would bomb anything in Syria. When your enemies are working so hard at killing each other, why would you take chance on drawing their attention away from that task?

I agree. On the surface it doesn't appear to make a lot of sense.

With the help of the United States and no vote by the people that lived there.

Posted (edited)

Actually the US government did not help Israel. Former US pilots who fought in WW2 were told they would lose their citizenship if they fought for Israel. Many fought for Israel even at the threat of losing their US citizenship. Not one US pilot who fought for Israel lost their US citizenship. 

Edited by flyboy56

Actually the US government did not help Israel. Former US pilots who fought in WW2 were told they would lose their citizenship if they fought for Israel. Many fought for Israel even at the threat of losing their US citizenship. Not one US pilot who fought for Israel lost their US citizenship.

You'll be needing a bona fide cite for that dude. ;)

I agree. On the surface it doesn't appear to make a lot of sense.

They are fighting Iran by proxy in Syria

Don't hold your breath

Posted (edited)

Rubenfeld and a handful of other American pilots who volunteered to fly for Israel are the subjects of producer Nancy Spielberg and director Roberta Grossman’s absorbing and crisply edited new film.

Read more: http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/untold-story-pilots-flew-israel-180954112/#iRa3kxFxyz8BA7gk.99

Sorry dude a handful of pilots didn't turn the tide of the war. Care to provide a link to any other American assistance?

Edited by bmore_ken

Not true, not every Arab nation.  Also, I wouldnt compare the mindset of those nations from 1948 to now. Different players to the game who have had 69 years of time and patience. 

Nah, I didn't think so.

Posted (edited)

Not true, not every Arab nation. Also, I wouldnt compare the mindset of those nations from 1948 to now. Different players to the game who have had 69 years of time and patience.

So has Israel who's armed to the teeth modern weapons and nukes. The time to defeat Israel was 1948 when their Air Force consisted of 2nd hand airplanes and they used obsolete weapons. Not to mention at this point, the Arabs can't stop fighting each other long enough to fight Israel.

Edited by bmore_ken

Posted (edited)

If there really was an Abrahamic God or an Islamic Allah, he (it'd be the same one) surely would reappear and say 'Oh frack it, I've given you 4000 years to sort yourselves out and be nice to each other, enough, I disown you all'. Then with a blinding flash, the whole of the Levant turns into flat featureless, lifeless desert.

Well, one can dream, can't they? :)

Edited by WKDWZD

So has Israel who's armed to the teeth modern weapons and nukes. The time to defeat Israel was 1948 when their Air Force consisted of 2nd hand airplanes and they used obsolete weapons. Not to mention at this point, the Arabs can't stop fighting each other long enough to fight Israel.

True 

Not true, not every Arab nation.  Also, I wouldnt compare the mindset of those nations from 1948 to now. Different players to the game who have had 69 years of time and patience. 

These days, a "united" Arab war against Israel seems even more unlikely.  Egypt and Jordan have peace treaties with Israel, Iraq is a mess, Syria has a few internal problems, and Saudi Arabia wants a strong Israel to keep Iran at bay.

Rubenfeld and a handful of other American pilots who volunteered to fly for Israel are the subjects of producer Nancy Spielberg and director Roberta Grossman’s absorbing and crisply edited new film.

Read more: http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/untold-story-pilots-flew-israel-180954112/#iRa3kxFxyz8BA7gk.99

Sorry dude a handful of pilots didn't turn the tide of the war. Care to provide a link to any other American assistance?

We didn't provide assistance probably because of Israel's close ties with the Soviets back then.  

These days, a "united" Arab war against Israel seems even more unlikely.  Egypt and Jordan have peace treaties with Israel, Iraq is a mess, Syria has a few internal problems, and Saudi Arabia wants a strong Israel to keep Iran at bay.

That assessment seems about right, much to the probable chagrin of some.

Maybe...more so probable in my opinion. Egypt (and Jordan) have a truce with the US not to mess Israel. Iraq is a hot mess and Syria is a disaster.