Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

No special police force for Baltimore's SA. Bill to give Mosby's investigators police powers hits dead end

41 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-ci-prosecutor-police-powers-killed-20170317-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1li3

”A Senate committee has killed a bill that would have given police powers to investigators in the Baltimore State's Attorney's Office, a move the city's top prosecutor sought to improve investigations of police misconduct.

-

"That bill's not going anywhere," said Sen. Bobby Zirkin, a Baltimore County Democrat who chairs the Judicial Proceedings Committee. "We're not going to create a special police force for a state's attorney."

The Baltimore prosecutors' office employs 11 investigators, seven of whom are retired police officers. The bill would allow them to carry guns, make arrests, serve search and seizure warrants and perform other law enforcement functions.”

Smart move. She still can’t admit that she overcharged the officers. She wanted to do away with the right of the accused to have their cases heard by a judge and now she wants her own private police force accountable to nobody but her.

Can’t fix ineptitude with more power. That would only make a bad situation worse.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-ci-prosecutor-police-powers-killed-20170317-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1li3

”A Senate committee has killed a bill that would have given police powers to investigators in the Baltimore State's Attorney's Office, a move the city's top prosecutor sought to improve investigations of police misconduct.

-

"That bill's not going anywhere," said Sen. Bobby Zirkin, a Baltimore County Democrat who chairs the Judicial Proceedings Committee. "We're not going to create a special police force for a state's attorney."

The Baltimore prosecutors' office employs 11 investigators, seven of whom are retired police officers. The bill would allow them to carry guns, make arrests, serve search and seizure warrants and perform other law enforcement functions.”

Smart move. She still can’t admit that she overcharged the officers. She wanted to do away with the right of the accused to have their cases heard by a judge and now she wants her own private police force accountable to nobody but her.

Can’t fix ineptitude with more power. That would only make a bad situation worse.

She hates cops. Period. As I understand it....a lot of her extended family has more than their fair share of run ins with the law. But I could be wrong. But that might explain things.

Too bad she doesn't redirect some of that energy to putting away bad guys instead of seeming to do everything in her power to make their lives easier.

Good move on the part of Sen. Zirkin. Glad he could see through the all the smoke and mirrors. 

Posted (edited)

She hates cops. Period. As I understand it....a lot of her extended family has more than their fair share of run ins with the law. But I could be wrong. But that might explain things.

Too bad she doesn't redirect some of that energy to putting away bad guys instead of seeming to do everything in her power to make their lives easier.

Some of the bad guys are in the police department, judging from the indictments of those seven cops who are accused of committing crimes themselves and collecting massive and fraudulent overtime.

Anyone in the department who wasn't keeping tabs on that kind of overtime or approving it should be kicked out of the force and investigated too.

Edited by Ode2Joy

She can't handle supervision over LEO's. Period. Major Cogen at the Sheriff's office is her current puppet. I guess she will continue to rely on him.

Good move on the part of Sen. Zirkin. Glad he could see through the all the smoke and mirrors.

I hope other legislators are smart enough to see through it too.

Giving Marilyn Mosby any degree of increased authority would be a major mistake. She would seize it and run wild. We've already had an example of what she does with the authority she has now. We know where that led.

The best thing we can hope for is a good candidate to oppose her in the next election and return her to the obscurity she so richly deserves.

I hope other legislators are smart enough to see through it too.

We can only hope.

Some of the bad guys are in the police department, judging from the indictments of those seven cops who are accused of committing crimes themselves and collecting massive and fraudulent overtime.

Anyone in the department who wasn't keeping tabs on that kind of overtime or approving it should be kicked out of the force and investigated too.

No denying and totally agree.

But what I don't get. Is that all these cases are being dropped BEFORE any verdict has been passed about what the MAY have or not done.

But then, her prosecution team doesn't want to sully there track record I am sure.

Slam dunk or nothing.

Even liberal Democrats in Annapolis are afraid of her abusing power. That tells us all we need to know.

Even liberal Democrats in Annapolis are afraid of her abusing power. That tells us all we need to know.

Still upset she turned you down for that date huh? :D

Still upset she turned you down for that date huh? :D

Nope. But you have egg on your face after gloating about her victory in 2014.

More excellent reporting by The Sun :rolleyes: They didn't even put the bill number(s) in the article. That is an important little tidbit if someone wants to check out the official language. The Senate bill is SB 409, which was referenced to in the article, and they didn't even mention there was a House Cross-file, HB1403.

Here is a link to the language.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2017RS/bills/sb/sb0409F.pdf

You'll notice these "investigators" are not subject to the Law Enforcement Officers' Bill of Rights. They would also serve "at the pleasure of the State's Attorney for Baltimore City".

The Senate bill was heard on 2/21 and still has note been given a vote in Committee. The House version was heard on 3/7 and has not been voted on in Committee yet.

Posted (edited)

Nope. But you have egg on your face after gloating about her victory in 2014.

There's no egg on my face, I don't live in Baltimore City. Sucks to be you though that your great white hope got shown the door. :D

Edited by bmore_ken

There's no egg on my face, I don't live in Baltimore City. Sucks to be you though that your great white hope got shown the door. :D

I wasn't a fan of the great white hope but he was a lot more qualified and classy than the unqualified black dope.

+1 dayum lol

Manny, so she's a black dope and you are what sitting on a computer with so much hate in your heart for a black smart woman?

Posted (edited)

I wasn't a fan of the great white hope but he was a lot more qualified and classy than the unqualified black dope.

The only qualification you cared about was his color. Or is it a coincidence that you hate the current SA and the previous SA before the great white hope?

Edited by bmore_ken

Manny, so she's a black dope and you are what sitting on a computer with so much hate in your heart for a black smart woman?

I stooped down to Venisha's level. Of course you have no ill words for him.

The only qualification you cared about was his color. Or is it a coincidence that you hate the current SA and the previous SA before the great white hope?

Every single one will. W known as failures. You only think that of the white guy.

I stooped down to Venisha's level. Of course you have no ill words for him.

Who is Venisha?

Posted (edited)

Manny, so she's a black dope and you are what sitting on a computer with so much hate in your heart for a black smart woman?

Now who are you talking about, Pugh?  It sure can't be Mosby.

Edited by Smokey 1

Who is Venisha?

If you were around before 2008, you would know.

If you were around before 2008, you would know.

I wasn't hence my question