mrdeltoid

Obama care: Who signed up for it?

77 posts in this topic

MHIP usually had a lifetime max. It would be fine for standard stuff but not enough to get you through a life threatening issue.

I admit I'm not sure about that. There is no way for me to go back and check that now.

Is there any Trump voters that signed up for ACA?

from what I've seen there are plenty of them... many of whom were all for the repeal of Obamacare when they thought the ACA was something different :D

Posted (edited)

deleted

Edited by banner1124

Many Trump voters are covered under Medicaid expansion and will end up the biggest losers.

Many Trump voters are covered under Medicaid expansion and will end up the biggest losers.

And Trump only likes winners.

I admit I'm not sure about that. There is no way for me to go back and check that now.

Here is the info from one year on MHIP

http://echealthinsurance.com/maryland-health-insurance/public-assistance/maryland-health-insurance-plan/

Also remember that MD did a much better job funding its high risk pools than other states do or Trumpcare proposes doing.  This means costs to states like ours will go up.

Here is the info from one year on MHIP

http://echealthinsurance.com/maryland-health-insurance/public-assistance/maryland-health-insurance-plan/

Also remember that MD did a much better job funding its high risk pools than other states do or Trumpcare proposes doing.  This means costs to states like ours will go up.

Thanks for that. I see there was a $2 mil lifetime limit. I never approached that. 

If the ACA replacement allows the carriers to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions, we can only hope programs like MHIP will come back. 

Why ..???

If you qualified for Medicaid then, you still do now ....

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that. I see there was a $2 mil lifetime limit. I never approached that.

If the ACA replacement allows the carriers to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions, we can only hope programs like MHIP will come back.

The ACHA doesn't allow for denial but rather companies to charge higher rates. They would likely in Maryland becuase we don't do that to people but some states not.

MHIP was our high risk pool and it was funded well. Many states the funding was poor so the limits where lower, premiums higher and not everyone got in.

2 million life cap may seem like a lot until you need Chemo or some similar life saving procedure and then it isn't.

Personally the ACHA won't pass. Politicians will soon learn the ACA is the third rail too! Likely the GOP will back down make changes to make the ACA costs go up. And than replace it with the original ACA and call it something else!

Edited by jtowne-swim

Why ..???

Trumpcare kills Medicaid expansion.

Why ..???

Not always it will phase out the expansion.

Obamacare is an exchange. You pick the insurance company/plan you want. If there was a snafu re network coverage, which is what I assume the doctors in different countries thing is about, that's on the insurance company, not the exchange.

Not when you get it through Maryland's exchange its not on the insurance company, its on Anthony Brown's head.

Trumpcare kills Medicaid expansion.

Not always it will phase out the expansion.

Does the new program proposed change the income levels to qualify for it ..???

Here's a good piece on it that also explains how Mulvaney and Price continue to mislead. Expansion funding disappears in 2020.

Wasn't part of the ACA that the govt would give less to the states over the years for Medicaid ..???

Making the states pick up more of the costs .....

Posted (edited)

Not having to look at these exchanges, are all Insurance companies listed to choose from or just the ones eligible in that state ..???

Just the ones licensed in that state. Which is true outside of the ACA exchange.

Edited by ms maggie

Do you understand how the medicaid expansion works?

Obamacare contains many provisions to help poor and lower-income Americans. It expanded Medicaid to cover adults who earn up to $16,400 a year -- some 11 million people in 31 states and the District of Columbia are now insured as a result.

Also, those with incomes just under $30,000 receive generous subsidies to lower their premiums, deductibles and out-of-pocket costs on the individual market.

The American Health Care Act would reverse much of this. It would end the enhanced federal Medicaid funding for new enrollees starting in 2020. Those already in the program could stay as long as they remain continuously insured. But since up to half have a break in coverage each year, it's likely participation would fall off quickly, said Jocelyn Guyer, managing director at Manatt Health, a consulting firm.

But the Republican bill would go beyond just eliminating Medicaid expansion. It would overhaul the whole program, which covers more than 70 million people, by sending states a fixed amount of money per enrollee, known as a per-capita cap. This would limit federal responsibility, shifting that burden to the states. However, since states don't have the money to make up the difference, they would likely either reduce eligibility, curtail benefits or cut provider payments.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/06/news/economy/republicans-obamacare-repeal-replacement-bill/

Bill now freezes Medicaid expansion immediately instead of 2020. Had to make it crueler to obtain more conservative support.

Bill now freezes Medicaid expansion immediately instead of 2020. Had to make it crueler to obtain more conservative support.

Good Lord these people are truly insane... and their followers just eat this crap up

Do you understand how the medicaid expansion works?

Obamacare contains many provisions to help poor and lower-income Americans. It expanded Medicaid to cover adults who earn up to $16,400 a year -- some 11 million people in 31 states and the District of Columbia are now insured as a result.

Also, those with incomes just under $30,000 receive generous subsidies to lower their premiums, deductibles and out-of-pocket costs on the individual market.

The American Health Care Act would reverse much of this. It would end the enhanced federal Medicaid funding for new enrollees starting in 2020. Those already in the program could stay as long as they remain continuously insured. But since up to half have a break in coverage each year, it's likely participation would fall off quickly, said Jocelyn Guyer, managing director at Manatt Health, a consulting firm.

But the Republican bill would go beyond just eliminating Medicaid expansion. It would overhaul the whole program, which covers more than 70 million people, by sending states a fixed amount of money per enrollee, known as a per-capita cap. This would limit federal responsibility, shifting that burden to the states. However, since states don't have the money to make up the difference, they would likely either reduce eligibility, curtail benefits or cut provider payments.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/06/news/economy/republicans-obamacare-repeal-replacement-bill/

I will be up to the states to prioritize spending. They have many avenues to do that.

They can even go the the tax payers and ask for tax increases.

yes in the phase out!

Wasn't part of the ACA that the govt would give less to the states over the years for Medicaid ..???

Making the states pick up more of the costs .....

No the government picked up more of the cost for medicade if the states did xy and z!

No the government picked up more of the cost for medicade if the states did xy and z!

Yes but the states part would increase over the years making it less affordable for the state.

Things could change by Thursday, but the votes don't appear to be there now in the House (or the Senate).

Yes but the states part would increase over the years making it less affordable for the state.

Not under the ACA part of xyz was setting up exchanges if a state didn't the Feds did it for them but those states got less Medicaid money. Under the ACHA all states would get the lesser amount and those states who wanted to do xyz have to pay for it themselves