• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 mrdeltoid

mrdeltoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

Is there any Trump voters that signed up for ACA?

#22 michiganjoe

michiganjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

Lack of choice in some markets is largely the result of Republican sabotage.

#23 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,825 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

"Who said anything about sabotage .."

" Captain .."

#24 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

That's what happened here in NC. We just elected a Democratic governor (but still have a Republican state congress) after many years of Republican absolute rule, so maybe things will change.

Edited by ncbirdfan, 19 March 2017 - 01:15 PM.

#25 Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,333 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Not exactly. In order to participate in MHIP, you had to have been denied coverage somewhere else. So I applied for coverage with UHC who denied me as I expected because an insurance broker told me it would happen.

So I was on MHIP (Care First) until the ACA went into effect. When ACA went into effect, the MHIP program was shut down by the state. So I just continued with Care First. The rate did go up, but no more than my normal annual increase, about $100 per month. Then came 2017 and my premium went $400 per month.

The salient point is that you were able to obtain coverage despite a pre-existing condition.

Were there exclusions in your mhip coverage for conditions arising from the pre-existing illness?

#26 michiganjoe

michiganjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

"Who said anything about sabotage .."

Republicans never had any issue with the risk corridors in Bush's Medicare drug benefit bill. Not hard to figure out what was going on.

#27 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,361 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

Republicans never had any issue with the risk corridors in Bush's Medicare drug benefit bill. Not hard to figure out what was going on.

We can safely predict that Obamacare will be kept nearly intact with the only difference being a name change.  Considering most Trump supporters don't even know what the ACA is it's a pretty safe move.

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#28 FatBoy

FatBoy

Obama Did It Too

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,665 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

The salient point is that you were able to obtain coverage despite a pre-existing condition.

Were there exclusions in your mhip coverage for conditions arising from the pre-existing illness?

No there were not. 

Paul and Donny's new plan would reverse the provision requiring the companies to service those with pre-existing conditions. If MHIP or some other option doesn't come back, I won't be able to get coverage. 

If we are here to help others, I often wonder what the others are here for. - Sir Thomas Robert Dewar

#29 Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,333 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

No there were not. 

Paul and Donny's new plan would reverse the provision requiring the companies to service those with pre-existing conditions. If MHIP or some other option doesn't come back, I won't be able to get coverage.

One of the critical needs,according to obamacare proponents, was coverage for those whose pre-existing condition prevented them from obtaining coverage.

Yet, anecdotally to be sure, you managed to obtain, what I presume to be, insurance that met your needs at a comparable price well before the aca.

Help me reconcile this. I'm sure the state didn't start the mhip program just for you so there had to be other participants and basically kicked everyone into the market, at market rate, while eliminating a costly underwriting by carefirst.

Btw I agree with you that pre-existing condition should not be a reason to deny coverage-it's one of the obamacare highlights I agree with and a big reason it won't be repealed in it's entirety.

#30 FatBoy

FatBoy

Obama Did It Too

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,665 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

One of the critical needs,according to obamacare proponents, was coverage for those whose pre-existing condition prevented them from obtaining coverage.

Yet, anecdotally to be sure, you managed to obtain, what I presume to be, insurance that met your needs at a comparable price well before the aca.

Help me reconcile this. I'm sure the state didn't start the mhip program just for you so there had to be other participants and basically kicked everyone into the market, at market rate, while eliminating a costly underwriting by carefirst.

Btw I agree with you that pre-existing condition should not be a reason to deny coverage-it's one of the obamacare highlights I agree with and a big reason it won't be repealed in it's entirety.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Of course the MHIP existed before I needed it.  But, in Maryland the MHIP was my only recourse. And, as far as I know, CareFirst was the only insurer participating in MHIP.

If we are here to help others, I often wonder what the others are here for. - Sir Thomas Robert Dewar

#31 mrdeltoid

mrdeltoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

If he ran on repealing the ACA, why doesn't he just repeal it?

#32 Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,333 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Of course the MHIP existed before I needed it.  But, in Maryland the MHIP was my only recourse. And, as far as I know, CareFirst was the only insurer participating in MHIP.

Nevertheless you had insurance coverage, even with a pre-existing condition, at fair price.

We were told again and again that it wasn't possible before the aca-you clearly demonstrate that it was.

The only point being made.

#33 ncbirdfan

ncbirdfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

Nevertheless you had insurance coverage, even with a pre-existing condition, at fair price.

We were told again and again that it wasn't possible before the aca-you clearly demonstrate that it was.

It was not possible here in NC. I did get one company to accept me - at a price of about $3,800 monthly. FWIW, it did look like a decent plan (I remember $25 co-pays for doctor, $15 co-pay for most drugs, etc. and $2,000 deductible), but for that kind of money it should have been. I don't pay nearly that under the ACA and we now have a child on our policy as well.

#34 FatBoy

FatBoy

Obama Did It Too

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,665 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

In Maryland that is true. I don't know any details of other states. 

I'm not sure if I would go along with the fair price part since there was no competition to compare. It was more expensive than other plans that I couldn't participate in because of the pre-existing condition.

#35 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,816 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

I don't think all states had this option but I'm not sure.

#36 Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,333 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

It was not possible here in NC. I did get one company to accept me - at a price of about $3,800 monthly. FWIW, it did look like a decent plan (I remember $25 co-pays for doctor, $15 co-pay for most drugs, etc. and $2,000 deductible), but for that kind of money it should have been. I don't pay nearly that under the ACA and we now have a child on our policy as well.

I did say anecdotally, but clearly possible based on fatboy's experience.

#37 Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,333 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

In Maryland that is true. I don't know any details of other states.

I'm not sure if I would go along with the fair price part since there was no competition to compare. It was more expensive than other plans that I couldn't participate in because of the pre-existing condition.

You didn't mention price in your previous posts except that it went up when you went into "traditional" insurance and did mention the program being underwritten. Maybe we have a different definition of "underwritten".

Edited by Dr Johnny Fever, 19 March 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#38 FatBoy

FatBoy

Obama Did It Too

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,665 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

You didn't mention price in your previous posts except that it went up when you went into "traditional" insurance and did mention the program being underwritten. Maybe we have a different definition of "underwritten".

I meant the insurance company offering the coverage. 

Underwrite - "sign and accept liability under (an insurance policy), thus guaranteeing payment in case loss or damage occurs".

#39 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

After reading posts about Obama care on this board, I get the impression most don't want it repealed. I wonder how many actually signed up for it. And will anybody here actually loose their insurance if it is repealed?

I want but my son will not have the ability to get insurance when he goes off my wife's and mine.
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#40 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

I need some clarity.

You were denied individual health insurance due to a pre-existing condition but did find coverage, underwritten by the same insurance carrier that denied you coverage, thru the state mhip program (about which I know nothing) and at less cost to you than a post aca plan on the open market.

Is that about right?

He was in a high risk pool and than went in a standard ACA plan. With this bill he could likely not get insurance.
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users