Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grggngll

5 reasons NPR / PBS cuts make sense

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1. They do not need the money. In 2011, James O’Keefe’s Project Veritas secretly recorded senior NPR executives meeting with a potential donor and admitting that NPR “would be better off in the long run without federal funding.” NPR reports that it “receives less than 2 percent of its budget directly from CPB,” and has long anticipated the possibility of losing that.

2. Big Bird doesn’t work there anymore. In 2015, Sesame Street‘s production company signed a deal with HBO. The first HBO-hosted shows began in 2016, and only aired nine months later on PBS for children from less affluent households.entity. Using taxpayer funds to support one-sided news coverage is an abuse of taxpayer money.

4. PBS no longer produces content worth public investment.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2017/03/19/npr-pbs-five-reasons-trumps-cuts-make-sense/

Edited by Baltimatt
Too long a quote

Yes, let's turn to Breitbart to filter our views on public broadcasting.

As opposed to who?

As opposed to who?

Only the official Trump media should be heard. Everyone else is fake news.

Posted (edited)

As opposed to who?

Any source will real news, not the fake news you post and repost.  

Edited by EGoldstein

I would imagine most of Donny's supporters are not the type to patronize NPR or PBS.

It's mostly for libs.  :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

I don't know which is funnier, using Breitbart as a news source as a start point for a forum or the fact that Big Bird flew the coop (get it) for more bucks with HBO.

And to be perfectly honest. If PBS goes away we likely will drop cable entirely. Most everything else except for some news channels is worthless crap.

Well except for Big Bang and NCIS. :lol: God save us for more channels being available for garbage like Two Broke Girls. More like Two Broke Tramps.

Edited by Guido2

I would imagine most of Donny's supporters are not the type to patronize NPR or PBS.

It's mostly for libs.  :rolleyes:

You could say Donny and his supporters patronize Breitbart. it is mostly fibs.  

I don't know which is funnier, using Breitbart as a news source as a start point for a forum or the fact that Big Bird flew the coop (get it) for more bucks with HBO.

And to be perfectly honest. If PBS goes away we likely will drop cable entirely. Most everything else except for some news channels is worthless crap.

Well except for Big Bang and NCIS. :lol: God save us for more channels being available for garbage like Two Broke Girls. More like Two Broke Tramps.

If it weren't for sports, I'd drop cable for sure. I stream Hulu more than I watch TV.

If it weren't for sports, I'd drop cable for sure. I stream Hulu more than I watch TV.

I gotta firestick sitting on the table since Xmas. I'd better get on it.

When cable first came out. It was good. But much like pro-sports expanding and watering down the talent pool, cable has literally 1000's of channels and nothing is on.

Sunday night....Big Bang repeats are the best available.

You can get PBS of the air waves with a regular antenna in most metropolitan areas. For free.

PBS goes away for fund raising a little too much. 2 weekends in a row for it.

Are you advocating that they should get more money from the government?

It would seem to me that PBS and NPR cater to the affluent.  Should tax dollars be used to subsidize the rich?

Why would it seem that way to you?  :confused:

Poor people just can't relate to Big Bird  :(

It would seem to me that PBS and NPR cater to the affluent.  Should tax dollars be used to subsidize the rich?

Explain please.

Explain please.

They user big words and talk all fancy like.

They user big words and talk all fancy like.

:D

So if you don't want them getting government money, and you don't want them fundraising so much then just where the hell are they supposed to get their funding? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link!  It looks like I stereotyped incorrectly.

Additional Know and Grow data about DPTV viewing disprove the criticism that public TV is elitist. Viewers with a high school education, or less, sample DPTV’s primary and multicast channels more often than viewers from any other educational category — including those who hold doctorates.

“We are one of the most diverse markets in the country,” Homberg said. “Many are surprised to learn that we not only have a large black community, we have a significant Arab community. We also have an emerging Latino audience — and it is different than that of Miami, San Antonio or Chicago.”

I am only really familiar with my local NPR affiliate, WNYC.  I wouldn't say it's elitist although I would agree that the local programming caters towards middle class liberals.  National news programs like Morning Edition and All Things Considered don't strike me as elitist or catering towards middle class liberals.

Are you advocating that they should get more money from the government?

So if you don't want them getting government money, and you don't want them fundraising so much then just where the hell are they supposed to get their funding? :rolleyes:

I'm saying why all the fundraising if they are getting govt money..Most shows also get some sort of corporate sponsorship.