36 replies to this topic

#21 banner1124

banner1124

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,528 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

Once you cite project liartas you might as well just stop right there because NOTHING you say afterwards can be believed

*****HAIL TO THE REDSKINS*****

#22 banner1124

banner1124

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,528 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

PBS goes away for fund raising a little too much. 2 weekends in a row for it.

So if you don't want them getting government money, and you don't want them fundraising so much then just where the hell are they supposed to get their funding? :rolleyes:

#23 microg

microg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for the link!  It looks like I stereotyped incorrectly.

Additional Know and Grow data about DPTV viewing disprove the criticism that public TV is elitist. Viewers with a high school education, or less, sample DPTV’s primary and multicast channels more often than viewers from any other educational category — including those who hold doctorates.

“We are one of the most diverse markets in the country,” Homberg said. “Many are surprised to learn that we not only have a large black community, we have a significant Arab community. We also have an emerging Latino audience — and it is different than that of Miami, San Antonio or Chicago.”

#24 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

I am only really familiar with my local NPR affiliate, WNYC.  I wouldn't say it's elitist although I would agree that the local programming caters towards middle class liberals.  National news programs like Morning Edition and All Things Considered don't strike me as elitist or catering towards middle class liberals.

#25 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

Are you advocating that they should get more money from the government?

So if you don't want them getting government money, and you don't want them fundraising so much then just where the hell are they supposed to get their funding? :rolleyes:

I'm saying why all the fundraising if they are getting govt money..Most shows also get some sort of corporate sponsorship.

#26 banner1124

banner1124

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,528 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

I'm saying why all the fundraising if they are getting govt money..Most shows also get some sort of corporate sponsorship.

Because they are not getting nearly the amount of government money that folks like you seem to think they are.  The amount of money PBS gets compared to the overall budget is beyond miniscule... so again, what's the purpose of cutting that funding if it will do absolutely NOTHING to balance the budget?  Just comes across as mean-spirited if you ask me

#27 FatBoy

FatBoy

Obama Did It Too

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,212 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

Because they are not getting nearly the amount of government money that folks like you seem to think they are.  The amount of money PBS gets compared to the overall budget is beyond miniscule... so again, what's the purpose of cutting that funding if it will do absolutely NOTHING to balance the budget?  Just comes across as mean-spirited if you ask me

It's SOP for the GOP. 

They will make budget cuts targeting what the consider liberal causes.

The Democrats will reinstate them on the next swing of the pendulum. And cut spending to some conservative causes.

Just speaks to the mindset of politicians. It's pretty childish when you think about it.

If we are here to help others, I often wonder what the others are here for. - Sir Thomas Robert Dewar

#28 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

It's SOP for the GOP. 

They will make budget cuts targeting what the consider liberal causes.

The Democrats will reinstate them on the next swing of the pendulum. And cut spending to some conservative causes.

Just speaks to the mindset of politicians. It's pretty childish when you think about it.

When its your ox that gets gored you get upset.

PBS is all about liberal causes. That's nothing new.

#29 grggngll

grggngll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,547 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

No, it comes across as a willingness to reconsider established practices and the role of government.

The money given to PBS could be used to do something more useful for society at large.

#30 FatBoy

FatBoy

Obama Did It Too

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,212 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

The money given to PBS could be used to do something more useful for society at large.

I vote for more cartoons on Saturday morning.

If we are here to help others, I often wonder what the others are here for. - Sir Thomas Robert Dewar

#31 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

I vote for more cartoons on Saturday morning.

And less fix it shows .......

#32 dogstarman

dogstarman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

PBS and NPR have quality programming and will survive just fine without the small amount of funding they receive from the federal government via CPB. Slashing their government funding would merely force them to step up minor increases in contributions from individual and corporate sources. 

Does NPR have a "liberal bias"? Not really, especially if one compares them to news sources which are unabashedly partisan.

How does Breitbart get funded? That's easy, turn off your adblocker and browse over to their webpage. Its full of the most trashy, unconsidered clickbait-- literally "wall-to-wall". One would take a serious computer hygiene risk by just clicking on any of their "sponsored links." Oh, and I guess they make some money selling swag like trucker caps as well. 

NYTIMES? Subscription + selected advertising. People fork over money.

Edited by dogstarman, 21 March 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#33 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

Once in a while PBS has a NOVA that interests me, otherwise not much. I have all the Fawlty Towers & Mr. Bean shows. The other Brit shows they have on now don't interest me. I tried but couldn't get in to any of them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

#34 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

PBS and NPR have quality programming and will survive just fine without the small amount of funding they receive from the federal government via CPB. Slashing their government funding would merely force them to step up minor increases in contributions from individual and corporate sources. 

Does NPR have a "liberal bias"? Not really, especially if one compares them to news sources which are unabashedly partisan.

How does Breitbart get funded? That's easy, turn off your adblocker and browse over to their webpage. Its full of the most trashy, unconsidered clickbait-- literally "wall-to-wall". One would take a serious computer hygiene risk by just clicking on any of their "sponsored links." Oh, and I guess they make some money selling swag like trucker caps as well. 

NYTIMES? Subscription + selected advertising. People fork over money.

HBO will help keep them afloat. But kids will wait 9 months for new shows on PBS.

#35 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,766 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

The reason why PBS is in Manchild's sights is likely because Sesame Street has been kicking Trump around for decades. Here's one all the way back to the 80s. It's actually quite good.  Introducing Ronald Grump:

Edited by zenwalk, 21 March 2017 - 05:47 PM.

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#36 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

The reason why PBS is in Manchild's sights is likely because Sesame Street has been kicking Trump around for decades. Here's one all the way back to the 80s. It's actually quite good.  Introducing Ronald Grump:

Rocky and Bullwinkle lampooned the Cold War players for years, however few took it as any more as a parody.

​Sesame Street was a parody as well, save for the libbies that to this day worship it a fact.  

With Pee Wee Herman for dessert.  

#37 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,766 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

Rocky and Bullwinkle lampooned the Cold War players for years, however few took it as any more as a parody.

​Sesame Street was a parody as well, save for the libbies that to this day worship it a fact.  

With Pee Wee Herman for dessert.  

I have no idea what your post is trying to convey beyond your cluelessness. 

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users