Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twister

Arrest made in cross burning incident at Virginia church

33 posts in this topic

The call came in at 9:10 a.m. Saturday morning informing officers there was a man burning a cross in front of the Marquis Memorial United Methodist Church on Beverley Street in Staunton, according to Staunton Police Sgt. R.W. Burke.

On Sunday, the remains of a purple cloth that once hung on the cross to symbolize the season of Lent could be seen blackened and burned on the ground. The wood cross was singed, but still intact.

Josiah Carey, 30, of Staunton was arrested and charged with a felony for burning the cross, Burke said. The charge is a Class 6 felony, which carries up to five years jail time and up to a $2,500 fine, Burke said.

Another Klan/Trump inspired hate crime.

I guess the deflection will be something about how demagogues attract fake hate crimes so it's their fault after all.

Twister and Ode2Joy, why do you celebrate this stuff?

A black guy burns a cross on church grounds and you want desperately for it to mean blacks are bad or the libs will blame Trump and use this to make some connection between him an the klan. Seriously? Get a life. 

Twister and Ode2Joy, why do you celebrate this stuff?

A black guy burns a cross on church grounds and you want desperately for it to mean blacks are bad or the libs will blame Trump and use this to make some connection between him an the klan. Seriously? Get a life.

Those assumptions reflect your thought process, not mine.

Now, if you want, you can pretend that libs haven't tried to tie Trump to things like the "VOTE TRUMP" that was painted on the church in Mississippi that was destroyed by arson, but that would be a lie.

It's not a celebration the way you seem to think it is. It's an exposure of fake hate crimes and that's a very good thing unless someone is of the mindset that it's better to sweep such frauds under the rug to keep a narrative going.

Your choice, since you obviously see exposing this story as a bad thing to the point where you falsely attribute stuff like "you want desperately for it to mean blacks are bad".

You and everyone else should be celebrating every time another fake hate crime is exposed for the lie it is instead of becoming upset when the truth surfaces.

Posted (edited)

"Never assume malice for that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

"They said he told them it was close," he said. "From what the police said, they said he didn't have anything against the church, he was just in the neighborhood."

Maybe he was just a run of the mill doofus with nothing better to do.

I've seen stupider things done for no reason at all.

(And yes, Stupider is a real word. Stupider is the comparative form of the adjective stupid.)

(Edited to say "seen" instead of "done". ;) )

Edited by Wild Eyed Southern Boy

Those assumptions reflect your thought process, not mine.

Now, if you want, you can pretend that libs haven't tried to tie Trump to things like the "VOTE TRUMP" that was painted on the church in Mississippi that was destroyed by arson, but that would be a lie.

It's not a celebration the way you seem to think it is. It's an exposure of fake hate crimes and that's a very good thing unless someone is of the mindset that it's better to sweep such frauds under the rug to keep a narrative going.

Your choice, since you obviously see exposing this story as a bad thing to the point where you falsely attribute stuff like "you want desperately for it to mean blacks are bad".

You and everyone else should be celebrating every time another fake hate crime is exposed for the lie it is instead of becoming upset when the truth surfaces.

Oh, are you saying you are defending this guy? The tyranny of the man holding a brother down. Charging him with a class 6 felony when it was really just a simple act of vandalism?

Is that what you and Twisted are saying?

"Never assume malice for that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

"They said he told them it was close," he said. "From what the police said, they said he didn't have anything against the church, he was just in the neighborhood."

Maybe he was just a run of the mill doofus with nothing better to do.

I've stupider things done for no reason at all.

(And yes, Stupider is a real word. Stupider is the comparative form of the adjective stupid.)

I bet there are a bunch of nuns rolling over in their graves at the use of words like "stupider".   :D

If he hadn't been caught at the scene, Calamari, hst2 or Ms Maggie would have presented this as a hate crime perpetrated by a white Trump supporter.

Oh, are you saying you are defending this guy? The tyranny of the man holding a brother down. Charging him with a class 6 felony when it was really just a simple act of vandalism?

Is that what you and Twisted are saying?

I'm saying that you and everyone else should be glad whenever any fake hate crime is exposed as being fake instead of being so angry and accusatory when someone exposes it on here.

But that doesn't seem to be the case with you for some reason, as your words clearly demonstrate.

You should probably walk back your comments that "you want desperately for it to mean blacks are bad" because it's a lie that is tantamount to calling someone a racist.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/is-stupider-a-word/

My little sister is a elementary school teacher and I thoroughly enjoyed pointing out this particular word to her.  :)

Funny how even though I know it is a legit word to use, I still cringe whenever I hear it which I'm sure your sister does too.  :)

I'm saying that you and everyone else should be glad whenever any fake hate crime is exposed as being fake instead of being so angry and accusatory when someone exposes it on here.

But that doesn't seem to be the case with you for some reason, as your words clearly demonstrate.

You should probably walk back your comments that "you want desperately for it to mean blacks are bad" because it's a lie that is tantamount to calling someone a racist.

I will gladly do that if you or Twister will clearly state your reason for defending Mr. Carey. 

And yet you did this exact thing on Calamari's thread.

And yet you did this exact thing on Calamari's thread.

Please try to focus on the topic and instead of posting off topic comments over and over and spitting your passive aggression toward me. That way we might have a discussion and not a derailment.

TIA.

Please try to focus on the topic and instead of posting off topic comments over and over and spitting your passive aggression toward me. That way we might have a discussion and not a derailment.

TIA.

:D  :D

I will gladly do that if you or Twister will clearly state your reason for defending Mr. Carey.

No you won't. Now you're lying for the second time on this thread by falsely accusing me and Twister of defending the perpetrator who committed the fake hate crime.

You can't admit that exposing a fake hate crime is a good thing for some reason.

TIA.

Translation... please don't call me out on my bs and hypocrisy.  I hate being made to look stupid :D :D

Posted (edited)

No you won't. Now you're lying for the second time on this thread by falsely accusing me and Twister of defending the perpetrator who committed the fake hate crime.

You can't admit that exposing a fake hate crime is a good thing for some reason.

Twister says it's a hate crime in the OP. You say it's a fake hate crime. Which is it?

Edited by FatBoy

Twister says it's a hate crime in the OP. You say it's a fake hate crime. Which is it?

I hope that you will be able to make up your own mind based on the facts as reported about this crime without having someone explain it to you.

You had no trouble making up intentions and wrongly attributing them to me and Twister earlier and lying that we were defending they guy who committed the felony.

Hard to know what to make out of the story  without more information including something resembling a motive. My initial guess is that mental illness may be involved.

Hard to know what to make out of the story  without more information including something resembling a motive. My initial guess is that mental illness may be involved.

Sure sounds like it. Seems pretty pointless.

Posted (edited)

I hope that you will be able to make up your own mind based on the facts as reported about this crime without having someone explain it to you.

You had no trouble making up intentions and wrongly attributing them to me and Twister earlier and lying that we were defending they guy who committed the felony.

My mind was made up the instant I finished reading the article. Technically Carey committed a felony under Virginia law. A law that was obviously directed specifically toward the Ku Klux Klan. 

In my opinion, since Carey is obviously not a Klan member, the charge should have been vandalism. I don't think what he did rises to "intent to intimidate a person or group of persons" which the law requires. He did not provide the cross himself, nor the flammable material which created the fire.

Twister, in the OP, referred to this as 'another Klan/Trump inspired hate crime'. Foretelling the fact she had no intention of having a rational discussion of the incident.

As for your comment in post #2, well you know your own intentions and I think you're upset because I called you both out on it.

Edited by FatBoy

My mind was made up the instant I finished reading the article. Technically Carey committed a felony under Virginia law. A law that was obviously directed specifically toward the Ku Klux Klan. 

In my opinion, since Carey is obviously not a Klan member, the charge should have been vandalism. I don't think what he did rises to "intent to intimidate a person or group of persons" which the law requires. He did not provide the cross himself, nor the flammable material which created the fire.

Twister, in the OP, referred to this as 'another Klan/Trump inspired hate crime'. Foretelling the fact she had no intention of having a rational discussion of the incident.

As for your comment in post #2, well you know your own intentions and I think you're upset because I called you both out on it.

+1

LOL, ode reminds me of a lady that use to post here that live in East Baltimore and posted all the time about crime in the city.