Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SemiAuto

What Does It Mean to Have a 'Right' to Health Care?

156 posts in this topic

I'd love to here the arguments for replacing this with single payer trucking and/or single payer steel working.

Apples and oranges. Exploiting the ill to the point where they have to remortgage the house should speak for itself. It's repellant.  This isn't about the elective of buying coffee.

Edited by zenwalk

I'd love to here the arguments for replacing this with single payer trucking and/or single payer steel working.

I'm still not getting this truck/chaos angle. Are you saying truck drivers drive carelessly, thus causing chaos?

Edited by ncbirdfan

I'm still not getting this truck/chaos angle. Are you saying truck drivers drive carelessly, thus causing chaos?

You're not getting it because it's ridiculous :D

Post #26.

The idea that order can and does arise out of chaos. If you don't like coffee, pick something else.

Post #26.

The idea that order can and does arise out of chaos. If you don't like coffee, pick something else.

I like coffee. I'm drinking it now. I like it black...

Venezuela, Cuba, the Soviet Union, communist China. The ones that face planted.

Any first world economies?

Interesting theory: healthcare "face-planted" these countries. Really, had no idea.

Interesting theory: healthcare "face-planted" these countries. Really, had no idea.

I certainly didn't realize that China face-planted

And in those other countries, they face-planted alright, but it didn't have a damn thing to do with universal healthcare

not to mention the 4 countries have zero in common when it comes to comparing the forms of government in the UK, Canada, Germany and any other true liberal democracies....all 4 are kleptocracies he's cute when trying to create apples and oranges comparisons but fails on a regular basis...

Edited by can you hear me now!

The point is that these state first societies can and do fail in spectacular fashion.

You do realize that Health Care for all is in your best interest.

No, I don't. Most people need clothing but that would be a horrible excuse to force people to pick cotton.

As the article points out:

We live in a world of scarcity, which is to say that at any moment our ends surpass the available means to achieve them. We can't have everything now. Thus we have to choose among alternatives. It is obvious that the human race has pushed back the limits of scarcity, but that is the result of human ingenuity sufficiently free to solve problems, or what Julian Simon called "the ultimate resource." Nevertheless, right now we cannot have all we want, so we have to make choices. A quantity of a resource or a unit of labor services cannot be put to more than one purpose at a time. Making choices entails opportunity costs—the benefit we forgo by choosing alternative A over alternative B instead.

Despite the popular misconception, health care is not beyond economic law; it is not a free good that falls like manna from heaven.

Health care for all removes the choice of what I would spend for health care and puts in the hands of complete stranger who, even with the best of intentions, can't possibly know what my priorities are, much less the priorities of 300 million people.

Edited by SemiAuto

Rights are just Privileges collectively agreed to by our Representatives.

We as a society have decided that healthcare is a Human Right.

If I cut my arm off and walk into an Emergency Room, I will be treated for my injury regardless of whether or not I have Insurance

No, I don't. Most people need clothing but that would be a horrible excuse to force people to pick cotton.

As the article points out:

Do you employ domestic help?  How about contact with store workers both direct and indirect?  Eating out at all?  The people on the elevator or at public gatherings.  Better hope that they are not harboring a communicable disease.  What about people around you, in some cases a sneeze is all it takes.  So unless you are a hermit who only ventures out for the occasional contact with civilization, the health status of those around you can impact your and your families health.    

Rights are just Privileges collectively agreed to by our Representatives.

We as a society have decided that healthcare is a Human Right.

If I cut my arm off and walk into an Emergency Room, I will be treated for my injury regardless of whether or not I have Insurance

A very anti-liberal view of what rights are. Rights exist because you are a human being. Government comes second in defending, not granting, those rights.

Edited by SemiAuto

It's funny watching them all try to change your view. :)

I stopped bothering a while ago... I do find it amusing how ridiculous it is sometimes though

A very anti-liberal view of what rights are. Rights exist because you are a human being. Government comes second in defending, not granting, those rights.

It's not a popular view but I don't buy into the idea that Rights come from God. If that were true, all nations and classes of people would have the same Rights.