Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:52 AM

Can we stop playing that terrible Lee Greenwood song while we are at it? 🤢 🤢

#22 mrdeltoid

mrdeltoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

You sound a lot like my brother-in-law and several friends who were in Nam.  My husband didn't go onto active duty until '72 so he missed some of that negativity.

He may not talk about it much but it was there. I joined in 73 and Siagon fell in 75 when I was on "the Rock", but the "Nam hangover" lasted all through the 70s. The Reagan years brought respect for the military in the early 80s. I remember being kind of jealous, but was happy to see it.

#23 mrdeltoid

mrdeltoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

I missed 'Nam by a few years ('78) but it was still pretty much the same. I got glares, and stares, and a few insults hurled my way when I was in uniform. But I never expected any thanks no matter. I served because I wanted to.

I will say I do express my thanks to WWIi, Korea and Vietnam vets. They were drafted. Big difference.

It was especially bad around military towns. When I was at Pendleton the civilians in Oceanside hated marines. We kind of brought it on ourselves with bar room brawls and such combined with the Nam hangover, it was pretty bad.

#24 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,816 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

He may not talk about it much but it was there. I joined in 73 and Siagon fell in 75 when I was on "the Rock", but the "Nam hangover" lasted all through the 70s. The Reagan years brought respect for the military in the early 80s. I remember being kind of jealous, but was happy to see it.

It was especially bad around military towns. When I was at Pendleton the civilians in Oceanside hated marines. We kind of brought it on ourselves with bar room brawls and such combined with the Nam hangover, it was pretty bad.

We were married by the time my husband went on active duty.  He was JAG so maybe that made a difference.  

When people thank him now for his service, he just nods and smiles.  I think it embarrasses him a little since he is a Marine who never saw combat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users