Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ODENTON

Armed teacher who kidnapped student found

45 posts in this topic

For the pictures being posted like the ones from the store, she doesn't look to be trying to get away from him. It is wrong of him to be with her but she looks like she went on her own.

So what, this perv has damaged two families for his own perverted reason. As stated, she's a minor.

For the pictures being posted like the ones from the store, she doesn't look to be trying to get away from him. It is wrong of him to be with her but she looks like she went on her own.

There's no way you can know that from just pictures. Any reasonable person would deduce that she was compliant because she was scared. Resisting a hostile threat that you know is armed is generally not something you can expect someone to do. 

I'm curious to see what the girl has to say.

It would be nice if she could deal with this privately. Her story may well come out in trial, but this is for her and her family to deal with at this time.

It would be nice if she could deal with this privately. Her story may well come out in trial, but this is for her and her family to deal with at this time.

I'd like to hear what she says prior to coaching by parents and lawyers.

I know it's no one's business...just curious.

True - No excuses for him. Children aren't known for making the best choices, that's why they have custodial adults to make decisions for them.

This past week some other things came out about why her mother lost custody and had criminal charges filed against her. It involved exploitation of a minor(s).

I'm starting to think this kid never had a chance at a normal life.

Yahooooo, it's Tennessee:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/us/tennessee-teacher-manhunt-state-kidnapping-law/index.html

"(CNN) — Tennessee's kidnapping law is a little ... well, toothless when it comes to youngsters the age of Elizabeth Thomas, the 15-year-old allegedly abducted by her former teacher, according to the prosecutor in the case.

The way it's written now, the statute lets children older than 12 decide whether to leave their families, unless their removal or confinement "is accomplished by force, threat or fraud.

As it stands, to prove the kidnapping of a victim who is 12 or older, Cooper said, he'd have to prove that Elizabeth was unlawfully removed or had her freedom restricted. "

I guess if one is a pedo, Tenn is the place to be? Kind of ironic/hypocritical that such a lenient law is in the heart of the Bible belt.

Edited by SmarterThanYou

Yahooooo, it's Tennessee:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/us/tennessee-teacher-manhunt-state-kidnapping-law/index.html

"(CNN) — Tennessee's kidnapping law is a little ... well, toothless when it comes to youngsters the age of Elizabeth Thomas, the 15-year-old allegedly abducted by her former teacher, according to the prosecutor in the case.

The way it's written now, the statute lets children older than 12 decide whether to leave their families, unless their removal or confinement "is accomplished by force, threat or fraud.

As it stands, to prove the kidnapping of a victim who is 12 or older, Cooper said, he'd have to prove that Elizabeth was unlawfully removed or had her freedom restricted. "

I guess if one is a pedo, Tenn is the place to be? Kind of ironic/hypocritical that such a lenient law is in the heart of the Bible belt.

Attorney Jason Whatley, who is representing Elizabeth's father, told CNN the kidnapping statute might not matter in Cummins' case, especially if he crossed state lines with Elizabeth, triggering federal kidnapping laws. He predicted the ex-teacher would face "scores of charges once we find him. "I think Tad Cummins will have violated so many laws, I think he's finished," Whatley said.

That doesn't sound exactly "toothless".

I always thought that if I ever sat on a jury where a victim's father exacted his own punishment on somebody like this...................... maybe "Jury nullification" has a place in the judicial system.

Edited by Wild Eyed Southern Boy

Attorney Jason Whatley, who is representing Elizabeth's father, told CNN the kidnapping statute might not matter in Cummins' case, especially if he crossed state lines with Elizabeth, triggering federal kidnapping laws. He predicted the ex-teacher would face "scores of charges once we find him. "I think Tad Cummins will have violated so many laws, I think he's finished," Whatley said.

That doesn't sound exactly "toothless".

I always thought that if I ever sat on a jury where a victim's father exacted his own punishment on somebody like this...................... maybe "Jury nullification" has a place in the judicial system.

The Feds will get him. Yes, there are several legal vehicles to lock this guy up. Not implying he will get off scot free.

But the Tenn law is still on the books, and it's a joke.

Edited by SmarterThanYou

The Feds will get him. Yes, there are several legal vehicles to lock this guy up. Not implying he will get off scot free.

But the Tenn law is still on the books, and it's a joke.

"The way it's written now, the statute lets children older than 12 decide whether to leave their families, unless their removal or confinement "is accomplished by force, threat or fraud."

This law is actually aimed toward letting children 12 or older decide where they want to go when parents divorce. Noncustodial parents have been charged with kidnapping for trying to take the child.

I don't know why you hate the south so much. You never miss a chance, now or in any of your past lives for that matter, to make it known.

Just in case, you missed it, we got it the first couple of hundred times..

Search the statutes in any state and you will find some crazy laws on the books from hundreds of years ago. Including Maryland.

A woman may not go through her husband's pockets while he is sleeping.

Men may not buy drinks for female bartenders.

It is illegal to sell condoms from vending machines with one exception: prophylactics may be dispensed from a vending machine only "in places where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises."

Thistles may not grow in one's yard.

Eating while swimming in the ocean is prohibited.

In the entire state, it is illegal to give or receive oral sex.

It is a violation to be in a public park with a sleeveless shirt, including joggers. $10 fine.

You cannot swear while inside the city limits of Baltimore.

Maryland requires that alcohol beverage writers be certified as experts by an agency of the state before they can receive product samples, which it limits to three bottles per brand.

Baltimore: Though you may spit on a city roadway, spitting on city sidewalks is prohibited.

Baltimore: It's illegal to take a lion to the movies.

Baltimore: It is a violation of city code to sell chicks or ducklings to a minor within one week of the Easter holiday.

Baltimore has regulations governing the disposal of hog's heads, pet droppings and oyster shells.

Columbia: You can not have an antenna exposed outside of your house yet you can have a 25' satellite dish. Though clotheslines are banned, clothes may be draped over a fence.

Gypsies should steer clear of Caroline County, MD, where it's a $100 fine or six months in the can for "forecasting or pretending to foretell the future."

http://crazytopics.blogspot.com/2007/01/craziest-laws-in-america.html?m=1

Glad they found her......now her long journey begins, wish Elizabeth and her family the best.

"The cabin's caretaker alerted law enforcement to their presence and helped them hatch a plan to draw Cummins from the residence unarmed and without Thomas, the cabin's owner told CNN."

All along the way people tried to help, from the very beginning when the student reported him kissing Elizabeth to his capture.

See Something, Say Something

"The way it's written now, the statute lets children older than 12 decide whether to leave their families, unless their removal or confinement "is accomplished by force, threat or fraud."

This law is actually aimed toward letting children 12 or older decide where they want to go when parents divorce. Noncustodial parents have been charged with kidnapping for trying to take the child.

I don't know why you hate the south so much. You never miss a chance, now or in any of your past lives for that matter, to make it known.

Just in case, you missed it, we got it the first couple of hundred times..

Take it up with the Tenn Attorney general, or your own State legislators who wrote the law. His words.

"As it stands, to prove the kidnapping of a victim who is 12 or older, Cooper said, he'd have to prove that Elizabeth was unlawfully removed or had her freedom restricted."

The fact of the matter is - as written, the Tenn law does not help the prosecution, it hinders the prosecution. Had this perv not left Tenn, and no sexual contact with the minor, I don't think this guy gets any time.

I dislike much of the South because of my own personal experiences while living down in the South. Lots of Bible thumping hypocrites and flat out ignorance.   

Edited by SmarterThanYou

Take it up with the Tenn Attorney general, or your own State legislators who wrote the law. His words.

"As it stands, to prove the kidnapping of a victim who is 12 or older, Cooper said, he'd have to prove that Elizabeth was unlawfully removed or had her freedom restricted."

Lots of Bible thumping hypocrites and flat out ignorance.

Hmm..... I wonder if asking her would count as proof?

They may have cornered the market for religious hypocrisy, but flat out ignorance is hardly limited to the south.

Hmm..... I wonder if asking her would count as proof?

They may have cornered the market for religious hypocrisy, but flat out ignorance is hardly limited to the south.

...and if she claims to be "in love", or infatuated by this guy? Wouldn't be the first time a teen defended her abductor. So, and without knowing how she feels about the guy, I would not count on her testimony to help put the guy away.

Of course ignorance is not limited to the South, but given how poor the educational systems are in much of the South, the South sure does have a good head start in the ignorance category. I remember living next to a guy, in a good neighborhood, who was actually college educated (or so he said)...born, raised and educated in the South. He was literally dumber than a rock. I mean, flat out stupid. But his wife was hot, so I over looked his ignorance. Regional sales rep for a local tire company.

Edited by SmarterThanYou

...and if she claims to be "in love", or infatuated by this guy? Wouldn't be the first time a teen defended her abductor. So, and without knowing how she feels about the guy, I would not count on her testimony to help put the guy away.

Given from what people who know them both have told me, I will be surprised if she doesn't try to help him.

That is what prompted my question about her version of the story and how much weight it will carry.

None of any of that absolves him of any blame however.

Federal law will convict of kidnapping, and Tenn law should be able to nail him for "rape" (ie, sex with a minor).

Either way, he's toast.