Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woodbuchr

So much for fair Redistricting and an end to Gerrymandering

68 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The House Rules and Executive Nominations Committee voted on Governor Hogan's Redistricting bill, which would have ended gerrymandering in Maryland or at least made redistricting more fair, and gave it an Unfavorable Report which means it is dead. So much for bipartisan action to end the process by which Gerrymandering maintains Democratic control of our state.

Here is a link to the 18-5 against vote:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2017RS/votes_comm/hb0385_hru.pdf

Here is the part the Dem majority could not abide:

It is the intent of the General Assembly that neither the General Assembly Legislative Districts nor the districts for the State's Representatives in the United States Congress be drawn for the purpose of favoring or discriminating against an incumbent officeholder, a candidate,or a political party.

Here is a link to the bill. The best reading starts on Page 5.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2017RS/bills/hb/hb0385f.pdf

Edited by Woodbuchr

Sad, however what else would one expect from the Miller and Busch autocracy? 

Sad, however what else would one expect from the Miller and Busch autocracy? 

Yes, they are determined to keep this state in a democrat monopoly.  Ironically they are very undemocratic. 

BTW, isn't it also ironic that the names of two of the biggest drunks in the legislature have such appropriate names?  :lol:

IMO Gerrymandering should be put to death nationwide.  

Here is another part I am sure the powers that be in the Legislature did not like. Page nine starting on line 23

The place of residence of an incumbent officeholder or the candidate for a political party or of any other person may not be considered in the creation of a map.

That means they can't redistrict around someone's house to move them from a majority -insert party- into a majority -insert other party- district to get rid of them. I spoke with a former Delegate last year who lost his seat because during the last redistricting they literally redistricted around his house and moved him from a district where his party was majority into one where his party was in the minority.

They also couldn't redistrict to put enough people from one party and a candidate for that party into a district just to oust a sitting officeholder.

Oh we can't have that in Maryland. Imagine, a fair and (as much as could be) impartial redistricting process.

IMO Gerrymandering should be put to death nationwide.  

I am in total agreement!

I am in total agreement!

I don't know how but can the feds make it happen.  I think if it is left to the states, it will never happen. Even when ordered by the courts, some states have been reluctant to change and have still screwed up districts.

In 2019 when Hogan is serving his second term dems will be begging for a independant body and Hogan can tell them, "well you had your chance, I'll draw the lines..."

I don't know how but can the feds make it happen.  I think if it is left to the states, it will never happen. Even when ordered by the courts, some states have been reluctant to change and have still screwed up districts.

I doubt the Feds would tackle it because as much as some states abuse it redistricting is probably still viewed as a state right.

In 2019 when Hogan is serving his second term dems will be begging for a independant body and Hogan can tell them, "well you had your chance, I'll draw the lines..."

Oh it will be a battle I'm sure. Whatever map he proposes they will more than likely vote down. Then the battle starts.

You know what they say about absolute power...

Sad but not surprising at all.

Yes, they are determined to keep this state in a democrat monopoly.  Ironically they are very undemocratic. 

BTW, isn't it also ironic that the names of two of the biggest drunks in the legislature have such appropriate names?  :lol:

Just another day in the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland.  :rolleyes:

When Annapolis goes looking for another "sister city;"  Pyongyang may be an excellent candidate.  :)

Oh it will be a battle I'm sure. Whatever map he proposes they will more than likely vote down. Then the battle starts.

In Maryland, the primary authority to draw both congressional and state legislative district lines rests with the state legislature. The governor submits a state legislative redistricting proposal (an advisory commission appointed by the governor assists in drafting this proposal). The state legislature may pass its own plan by joint resolution, which is not subject to gubernatorial veto. If the legislature fails to approve its own plan, the governor's plan takes effect.[14]

Congressional lines are drawn solely by the legislature and may be vetoed by the governor.[14]

The Maryland Constitution requires that state legislative districts be contiguous, compact, and "give 'due regard' for political boundaries and natural features." No such requirements apply to congressional districts.[14]

https://ballotpedia.org/Redistricting_in_Maryland

In Maryland, the primary authority to draw both congressional and state legislative district lines rests with the state legislature. The governor submits a state legislative redistricting proposal (an advisory commission appointed by the governor assists in drafting this proposal). The state legislature may pass its own plan by joint resolution, which is not subject to gubernatorial veto. If the legislature fails to approve its own plan, the governor's plan takes effect.[14]

Congressional lines are drawn solely by the legislature and may be vetoed by the governor.[14]

The Maryland Constitution requires that state legislative districts be contiguous, compact, and "give 'due regard' for political boundaries and natural features." No such requirements apply to congressional districts.[14]

https://ballotpedia.org/Redistricting_in_Maryland

That is exactly what needs to be changed, Mr. Master of the Obvious.  :rolleyes:  B)

Just another day in the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland. :rolleyes:

When Annapolis goes looking for another "sister city;" Pyongyang may be an excellent candidate. :)

Feel free to move to another state that works better for you. :)

Posted (edited)

Yeah, we get it, as long as ken gets his screw everyone else and if you don't like it leave.  No need to try and make things fair for everyone.  Nice.  

Edited by Smokey 1

Feel free to move to a state that gerrymanders for the Republicans, there are plenty.  Better?

Feel free to move to a state that gerrymanders for the Republicans, there are plenty.  Better?

Funny how Republicans will tell Democrats to move to a different country if they don't like the things the Republican congress does but gets their panties in a bunch when told to move to a different state if they don't like the things a Democratic GA does.

Funny how Republicans will tell Democrats to move to a different country if they don't like the things the Republican congress does but gets their panties in a bunch when told to move to a different state if they don't like the things a Democratic GA does.

+1 exactly.

/thread

Posted (edited)

Yeah, we get it, as long as ken gets his screw everyone else and if you don't like it leave. No need to try and make things fair for everyone. Nice.

What exactly am I getting? I'm against gerrymandering by either party. I just don't understand people who complain about Maryland daily but still choose to reside here. If I didn't like it here, I would move to a place better suited for me. Which is why I'm retiring to Delaware instead of biatching about Maryland's retirement taxation policies.

Edited by bmore_ken

I am starting to work towards a move to another state but that doesn't mean I can't try to help make this one better while I am here. Ending gerrymandering and having fair redistricting is a step in that direction, IMO.

+1 exactly.

/thread

You have a fan .......

I am starting to work towards a move to another state but that doesn't mean I can't try to help make this one better while I am here. Ending gerrymandering and having fair redistricting is a step in that direction, IMO.

Good luck. I mean that sincerely.

Good luck. I mean that sincerely.

Thanks and if the state I am working towards moving to gerrymanders for either party I will oppose it there too.