61 replies to this topic

#1 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

Moonset at the Badlands SD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

The House Rules and Executive Nominations Committee voted on Governor Hogan's Redistricting bill, which would have ended gerrymandering in Maryland or at least made redistricting more fair, and gave it an Unfavorable Report which means it is dead. So much for bipartisan action to end the process by which Gerrymandering maintains Democratic control of our state.

Here is a link to the 18-5 against vote:

http://mgaleg.maryla.../hb0385_hru.pdf

Here is the part the Dem majority could not abide:

It is the intent of the General Assembly that neither the General Assembly Legislative Districts nor the districts for the State's Representatives in the United States Congress be drawn for the purpose of favoring or discriminating against an incumbent officeholder, a candidate,or a political party.

Here is a link to the bill. The best reading starts on Page 5.

http://mgaleg.maryla.../hb/hb0385f.pdf

Edited by Woodbuchr, 21 March 2017 - 03:01 PM.

Just because you have no interest in politics
Doesn't mean they have no interest in you
Pericles 461 BC

#2 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

Sad, however what else would one expect from the Miller and Busch autocracy? 

#3 Smokey 1

Smokey 1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,978 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

Sad, however what else would one expect from the Miller and Busch autocracy? 

Yes, they are determined to keep this state in a democrat monopoly.  Ironically they are very undemocratic. 

BTW, isn't it also ironic that the names of two of the biggest drunks in the legislature have such appropriate names?  :lol:

#4 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

IMO Gerrymandering should be put to death nationwide.  

#5 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

Here is another part I am sure the powers that be in the Legislature did not like. Page nine starting on line 23

The place of residence of an incumbent officeholder or the candidate for a political party or of any other person may not be considered in the creation of a map.

That means they can't redistrict around someone's house to move them from a majority -insert party- into a majority -insert other party- district to get rid of them. I spoke with a former Delegate last year who lost his seat because during the last redistricting they literally redistricted around his house and moved him from a district where his party was majority into one where his party was in the minority.

They also couldn't redistrict to put enough people from one party and a candidate for that party into a district just to oust a sitting officeholder.

Oh we can't have that in Maryland. Imagine, a fair and (as much as could be) impartial redistricting process.

Pericles 461 BC

#6 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

IMO Gerrymandering should be put to death nationwide.  

I am in total agreement!

Pericles 461 BC

#7 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

I am in total agreement!

I don't know how but can the feds make it happen.  I think if it is left to the states, it will never happen. Even when ordered by the courts, some states have been reluctant to change and have still screwed up districts.

#8 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,715 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

In 2019 when Hogan is serving his second term dems will be begging for a independant body and Hogan can tell them, "well you had your chance, I'll draw the lines..."

#9 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

I don't know how but can the feds make it happen.  I think if it is left to the states, it will never happen. Even when ordered by the courts, some states have been reluctant to change and have still screwed up districts.

I doubt the Feds would tackle it because as much as some states abuse it redistricting is probably still viewed as a state right.

Pericles 461 BC

#10 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

In 2019 when Hogan is serving his second term dems will be begging for a independant body and Hogan can tell them, "well you had your chance, I'll draw the lines..."

Oh it will be a battle I'm sure. Whatever map he proposes they will more than likely vote down. Then the battle starts.

Pericles 461 BC

#11 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,862 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

You know what they say about absolute power...

Sad but not surprising at all.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#12 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

Yes, they are determined to keep this state in a democrat monopoly.  Ironically they are very undemocratic. 

BTW, isn't it also ironic that the names of two of the biggest drunks in the legislature have such appropriate names?  :lol:

Just another day in the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland.  :rolleyes:

When Annapolis goes looking for another "sister city;"  Pyongyang may be an excellent candidate.  :)

#13 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,715 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

Oh it will be a battle I'm sure. Whatever map he proposes they will more than likely vote down. Then the battle starts.

In Maryland, the primary authority to draw both congressional and state legislative district lines rests with the state legislature. The governor submits a state legislative redistricting proposal (an advisory commission appointed by the governor assists in drafting this proposal). The state legislature may pass its own plan by joint resolution, which is not subject to gubernatorial veto. If the legislature fails to approve its own plan, the governor's plan takes effect.[14]

Congressional lines are drawn solely by the legislature and may be vetoed by the governor.[14]

The Maryland Constitution requires that state legislative districts be contiguous, compact, and "give 'due regard' for political boundaries and natural features." No such requirements apply to congressional districts.[14]

https://ballotpedia....ing_in_Maryland

#14 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

In Maryland, the primary authority to draw both congressional and state legislative district lines rests with the state legislature. The governor submits a state legislative redistricting proposal (an advisory commission appointed by the governor assists in drafting this proposal). The state legislature may pass its own plan by joint resolution, which is not subject to gubernatorial veto. If the legislature fails to approve its own plan, the governor's plan takes effect.[14]

Congressional lines are drawn solely by the legislature and may be vetoed by the governor.[14]

The Maryland Constitution requires that state legislative districts be contiguous, compact, and "give 'due regard' for political boundaries and natural features." No such requirements apply to congressional districts.[14]

https://ballotpedia....ing_in_Maryland

That is exactly what needs to be changed, Mr. Master of the Obvious.  :rolleyes:  :cool:

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:29 AM

Just another day in the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland. :rolleyes:

When Annapolis goes looking for another "sister city;" Pyongyang may be an excellent candidate. :)

Feel free to move to another state that works better for you. :)
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#16 Smokey 1

Smokey 1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,978 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:14 AM

Feel free to move to another state that works better for you. :)

Yeah, we get it, as long as ken gets his screw everyone else and if you don't like it leave.  No need to try and make things fair for everyone.  Nice.  

Edited by Smokey 1, 22 March 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#17 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,135 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

Feel free to move to a state that gerrymanders for the Republicans, there are plenty.  Better?

#18 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

Feel free to move to a state that gerrymanders for the Republicans, there are plenty.  Better?

Funny how Republicans will tell Democrats to move to a different country if they don't like the things the Republican congress does but gets their panties in a bunch when told to move to a different state if they don't like the things a Democratic GA does.

#19 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

What a crock of BS.

#20 yeah

yeah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

Funny how Republicans will tell Democrats to move to a different country if they don't like the things the Republican congress does but gets their panties in a bunch when told to move to a different state if they don't like the things a Democratic GA does.

+1 exactly.

/thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users