Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woodbuchr

So much for fair Redistricting and an end to Gerrymandering

68 posts in this topic

the court moved left with this appointment. This test would apply to everything so it would rebalance PA, OH, MI, WI, FL, NC etc!

Ok now I am confused. How does a addition of a conservative judge (right) make the court move left?

Ok now I am confused. How does a addition of a conservative judge (right) make the court move left?

Do you think he is as conservative as Scalia?

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - 4/9/17 episode is

all about gerrymandering. If you have On Demand it's worth a watch.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - 4/9/17 episode is

all about gerrymandering. If you have On Demand it's worth a watch.

Do you think he is as conservative as Scalia?

At this point who knows. What we heard or read and what he does could be totally different from what is perceived for good or bad.

But I have to admit that deal with the truck driver has me worried.

But now i know what you were talking about. Thanks.

At this point who knows. What we heard or read and what he does could be totally different from what is perceived for good or bad.

But I have to admit that deal with the truck driver has me worried.

But now i know what you were talking about. Thanks.

I don't think he is at all as conservative as Scalia.

I don't think he is at all as conservative as Scalia.

See you validated what I said.

Who knows. We'll see. My wife can't get pregnant, I am almost ready for Medicare, I have pretty much given up on concealed carry and I am not a minority. So to quote Alfred E. Newman what me worry. :D

When you get right down to it, why should one state end gerrymandering when other states don't. They're just hurting their own party. Seems like there needs to be a national effort to end gerrymandering.

Posted (edited)

When you get right down to it, why should one state end gerrymandering when other states don't. They're just hurting their own party. Seems like there needs to be a national effort to end gerrymandering.

Addressing your statements by the sentence.

1.  You have to start somewhere.
  2. The controlling party will never hurt it self...that is why it should be independently studied and implemented
  3. That would mean that the Feds would be involved. Which in turn would mean that the controlling party, in this case Reps. would be in charge. Do you especially you really want that? It would be the same problem we have in most states (germandering) but on steroids.

Hst... I think you are slipping. ;):)

Edited by Guido2

Addressing your statements by the sentence.

1.  You have to start somewhere.
  2. The controlling party will never hurt it self...that is why it should be independently studied and implemented
  3. That would mean that the Feds would be involved. Which in turn would mean that the controlling party, in this case Reps. would be in charge. Do you especially you really want that? It would be the same problem we have in most states (germandering) but on steroids.

Hst... I think you are slipping. ;):)

So how is this working out for ya?

So how is this working out for ya?

???? Clarify please.

Yeah heaven forbid that parties would actually have to listen to the people and do whats best for them and the country.

How did that work for ya last November?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-redistricting-veto-20170508-story.html

Gov. Larry Hogan on Monday vetoed a bill passed by the General Assembly that he said would block true redistricting reform in Maryland.  The veto shoots down a plan backed by leading Democrats that would have enacted nonpartisan redistricting in the state if five nearby states also agreed to do so. Hogan viewed the legislation as a political move that actually would have prevented reform of the way congressional and legislative districts are drawn.

"We decided we're not going to wait for other states to act," the Republican governor said. He said the legislature was ignoring the "overwhelming majority of the people of Maryland" who support nonpartisan redistricting.

The Sun agrees with Hogan.

Gov. Larry Hogan is absolutely right: Democratic lawmakers' bill to reform Maryland's redistricting process only if five other states do the same was nothing more than an effort to make the issue go away without actually doing anything. Letting it become law would have muddied the issue and diminished any pressure Democrats might feel to take the drawing of legislative and congressional district lines out of self-interested, partisan hands.

Was there some political motivation to the governor's decision to veto the bill and engage in a little grandstanding? You bet, and we've got no problem with that. Mr. Hogan knows perfectly well that voters agree with him. The most recent Goucher poll found that 73 percent of Marylanders support a system in which an independent commission draws the district lines, a figure that was consistent among Democrats, Republicans and independents.

1 hour ago, Struds said:

I about did a double take when I read that last night.  Good on the Sun.  

Yes for once they did. And good for Hogan for vetoing what was yet another smoke screen....see we are doing something....not take real responsibility....keep the turf but try to make Hogan look bad.... bill. Man if a college ever presents a class on the study of issues with a one party state MD would be the one to use.

What a farce, what is this kindergarten. Well if the other states don't....we won't either...what garbage. Since when is what the other states do have anything to do with our state? That is what the fed gov is for. Idiots.

All this was is a reverse of the old 'Well if Johnny jumps of the bridge does not mean that you should too'. These are adults ....MY GOD.

And this from the Sun:

The Maryland chapters of Common Cause Maryland and the League of Women Voters, which have pushed for a nonpartisan redistricting process to end partisan gerrymandering, applauded the governor’s veto, saying in a statement that the proposal for a multistate compact “set an impossibly high bar.”

I applaud Governor Hogan for this veto.

The whole wanting to wait for other states is a crock of manure. When people testify in Committees about issues, and I am one of those, and bring up how other states are acting or have acted on an issue the Dem leadership comes back with "We don't care how they do it in other states". Now on this issue we have to be concerned with what other states are doing.

2 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

I applaud Governor Hogan for this veto.

The whole wanting to wait for other states is a crock of manure. When people testify in Committees about issues, and I am one of those, and bring up how other states are acting or have acted on an issue the Dem leadership comes back with "We don't care how they do it in other states". Now on this issue we have to be concerned with what other states are doing.

Thanks for being active in the system. Most of us - me included - don't take that next step beyond simply voting.