61 replies to this topic

#21 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Yeah, we get it, as long as ken gets his screw everyone else and if you don't like it leave. No need to try and make things fair for everyone. Nice.

What exactly am I getting? I'm against gerrymandering by either party. I just don't understand people who complain about Maryland daily but still choose to reside here. If I didn't like it here, I would move to a place better suited for me. Which is why I'm retiring to Delaware instead of biatching about Maryland's retirement taxation policies.

Edited by bmore_ken, 22 March 2017 - 08:28 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#22 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

Moonset at the Badlands SD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

Feel free to move to another state that works better for you. :)

I am starting to work towards a move to another state but that doesn't mean I can't try to help make this one better while I am here. Ending gerrymandering and having fair redistricting is a step in that direction, IMO.
Just because you have no interest in politics
Doesn't mean they have no interest in you
Pericles 461 BC

#23 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

Funny how Republicans will tell Democrats to move to a different country if they don't like the things the Republican congress does but gets their panties in a bunch when told to move to a different state if they don't like the things a Democratic GA does.

+1 exactly.

/thread

You have a fan .......

#24 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:13 AM

I am starting to work towards a move to another state but that doesn't mean I can't try to help make this one better while I am here. Ending gerrymandering and having fair redistricting is a step in that direction, IMO.

Good luck. I mean that sincerely.

#25 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

Moonset at the Badlands SD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

Good luck. I mean that sincerely.

Thanks and if the state I am working towards moving to gerrymanders for either party I will oppose it there too.
Just because you have no interest in politics
Doesn't mean they have no interest in you
Pericles 461 BC

#26 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

The Dems did leave a door open to fair redistricting, but it involves other states.  Not sure why what they do should affect Maryland doing the right thing, but there it is.

"Democratic leaders have rebuffed Hogan's attempt to change the way the state draws congressional boundaries, calling for instead a national shift where states dominated by Republicans and Democrats each changed how they drew boundaries. They have likened changing Maryland's system alone to unilateral disarmament.

Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller and House Speaker Michael E. Busch issued a joint statement promising to pass what they called the Mid-Atlantic Regional Compact. If New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina all pass the same deal, the state's would each draw congressional districts using an independent commission.

The next redistricting process will take place after the 2020 census. Under the current system, General Assembly districts are drawn by the governor, and congressional districts are drawn by the General Assembly."

http://www.baltimore...0320-story.html

#27 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,045 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

Feel free to move to another state that works better for you. :)

would that apply to countries as well?

Like, say a person refused to do a simple act like stand for the flag during the anthem or hated the President so much it just drove them nuts, would you advise them to seek another country?

#28 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,045 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

In Maryland, the primary authority to draw both congressional and state legislative district lines rests with the state legislature. The governor submits a state legislative redistricting proposal (an advisory commission appointed by the governor assists in drafting this proposal). The state legislature may pass its own plan by joint resolution, which is not subject to gubernatorial veto. If the legislature fails to approve its own plan, the governor's plan takes effect.[14]

Congressional lines are drawn solely by the legislature and may be vetoed by the governor.[14]

The Maryland Constitution requires that state legislative districts be contiguous, compact, and "give 'due regard' for political boundaries and natural features." No such requirements apply to congressional districts.[14]

https://ballotpedia....ing_in_Maryland

this quote says the gov does the state legislative districts?

" Under the current system, General Assembly districts are drawn by the governor, and congressional districts are drawn by the General Assembly."

#29 Rocketwolf

Rocketwolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,762 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Feel free to move to a state that gerrymanders for the Republicans, there are plenty.  Better?

More playground Johnny hit me first from someone who agrees with the abuse of power

as long as you like a power being abused in your favor.

I trust the Police
more than I trust President Obama

#30 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

would that apply to countries as well?

Like, say a person refused to do a simple act like stand for the flag during the anthem or hated the President so much it just drove them nuts, would you advise them to seek another country?

Post #21

#31 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

More playground Johnny hit me first from someone who agrees with the abuse of power

Where did he post that? I don't see it. 

#32 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

What exactly am I getting? I'm against gerrymandering by either party. I just don't understand people who complain about Maryland daily but still choose to reside here. If I didn't like it here, I would move to a place better suited for me. Which is why I'm retiring to Delaware instead of biatching about Maryland's retirement taxation policies.

Funny me to.

But knowing the way things work.....some carpetbagger from MD will get into office and get MD like taxes installed.

I would prefer Florida....fishing is better....and you can carry. What else could a man want from life. Ohhhh better scotch at a better price. That's about it. ;) :D

#33 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

Funny me to.
But knowing the way things work.....some carpetbagger from MD will get into office and get MD like taxes installed.
I would prefer Florida....fishing is better....and you can carry. What else could a man want from life. Ohhhh better scotch at a better price. That's about it. ;) :D

I thought about Florida, but I prefer four seasons. I'd even miss the occasional snow storm, though not the shoveling that comes with it.

#34 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Funny me to.

Too many bugs. My oldest moved to Georgia almost 2 yrs ago. Wants us to retire there to be around the grandkids. His other brothers say no. Need some grandkids here for Mom Mom to be happy.

#35 blowboatbethesda

blowboatbethesda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

Too many bugs. My oldest moved to Georgia almost 2 yrs ago. Wants us to retire there to be around the grandkids. His other brothers say no. Need some grandkids here for Mom Mom to be happy.

I agree re the bugs. We like a change of seasons as well.   We're looking at lower slower Delaware in a few years, that way we can stay relatively close to family, at least the ones that are still alive.  :)

#36 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,067 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

We were going to retire to the NC/SC border when our youngest son announced that they were having a baby.  Looks like we'll be staying in the area so I can be near the little one.

#37 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,136 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:20 AM

I don't like gerrymandering period.  When someone complains about the Republicans doing it in Nationals, I usually always mention Maryland.

#38 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

I don't like gerrymandering period.  When someone complains about the Republicans doing it in Nationals, I usually always mention Maryland.

And in reply, do you get hammered with that "false equivalency" stuff?  ;)

#39 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,136 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:46 AM

And in reply, do you get hammered with that "false equivalency" stuff?  ;)

It's ok, I've been branded a "leftist".

#40 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

It's ok, I've been branded a "leftist".

You too? I'm not alone :D