Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scaggsville

Baltimore City Continues to Suffer from Shrinkage

40 posts in this topic

Year to year ending July 1, 2016 in Baltimore, the population dropped 6,738 to 614,664.

Births outnumbered deaths in Baltimore, 8,654 to 6,871, and 3,402 people moved into Baltimore from foreign countries. But 11,008 people moved out of Baltimore to other places in the United States.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/

Link didn't work.

How many of those births are to people who don't live in the city, or do births only count for city residents regardless of where the child is born?

Link didn't work.

How many of those births are to people who don't live in the city, or do births only count for city residents regardless of where the child is born?

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/chicago-detroit-baltimore-lead-nation-population-loss-maricopa-county

I think this one should work and address your question.

It must not be affecting school enrollment.  As they are begging, demanding more of other people's money.  Which is strange as it has been noted several times that they get much more money than all but one school district.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-bz-baltimore-population-loss-jumps-20170322-story.html

Black flight, not white, has been the engine of Baltimore's population loss over the past 15 years.

Between 2010 and 2015, estimates show the city's white, Hispanic and Asian populations actually growing, making up for a continued loss of African-American residents.

Black people have gotten smarter. Until the schools are fixed(and I'm not talking about more money) , black flight will continue.

are the blacks moving to Prince George's County, the "mecca" for the black middle class?

It must not be affecting school enrollment.  As they are begging, demanding more of other people's money.  Which is strange as it has been noted several times that they get much more money than all but one school district.

Amazingly, peak enrollment was in '69, with 193,000.  Obviously as the population shrinks, so do the kids, but since the city schools often fake actual enrollment, it's not possible to get an accurate figure.

Claiming that hundreds of kids are in the seats when they're not seems SOP. And this is how tax dollars are allocated.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-ci-schools-enrollment-drop-20160129-story.html

Posted (edited)

are the blacks moving to Prince George's County, the "mecca" for the black middle class?

That is the other jurisdiction that gets the most state money for education.  PG County has really gone downhill since the sixties/seventies.  What used to be nice shopping centers look like war zones now.

Edited by Smokey 1

Black people have gotten smarter. Until the schools are fixed(and I'm not talking about more money) , black flight will continue.

I wonder....what if they threw a city and nobody came?

I wonder....what if they threw a city and nobody came?

People will always come and live there. The poor who can't afford to leave will remain there. Young professionals who aren't raising a family will continue to come where their jobs are.

IF I could sell my house for what the City appraises it at for their taxes and IF I could afford a house in a county not that far out for that same price I'd be Gone in a NY Minute. The Numbers just aren't there so I'm stuck.

Some may, others move to Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, Howard, or other places, just like white people. Imagine that!

Some may, others move to Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, Howard, or other places, just like white people. Imagine that!

We welcome all legal immigration to Howard County! :D

sounds like a donald comment. Burst your bubble.

Baltimore is on the water. Maybe that's what's causing the shrinkage.

;)

Baltimore is on the water. Maybe that's what's causing the shrinkage.

;)

Only when the water is cold.  :D

Only when the water is cold.  :D

Sort of like this...

People will always come and live there. The poor who can't afford to leave will remain there. Young professionals who aren't raising a family will continue to come where their jobs are.

Very important point. From various things I have read (in particular the Sun's 4 part-er about education). Bottom line appears to be that yes, YPs come to the city and do their thing and the city life is good. BUT... when a child or two comes into the equation. They do a 180 to the burbs. Why? Easy! BC's ed system was is and appears to continue to be a joke. Lots of wasted promises going back years and years with nothing to show. Except a bloated Admin and wasted money.

And now we are starting to see this same garbage happening in many of the Baltimore County Schools. Why? Low income people moving from the city on section 8's that have NO CLUE about how to move up the social.economic and educational ladder.

I have a couple of black neighbors, well educated and very professional, that moved in about 20 years ago. At a BBQ I asked 'well your kids are going to be going to school soon' are ;you looking forward to sending them to the publc schools and eventually Woodlawn High.

Respose? Guido you are kidding with me right? Send our kids into that environment? We moved from the city to get away from that. They are going to private school!

OOOOOOhhhhh KKKKKkkkkk... So here is a couple....that was born and bread in BC...lived as a married couple for years in BC. And they are saying that? And they recognize the the cancer from BC is spreading.

Just for the record this very smart black couple are planning to move ASAP after their kids are finished with college. Why? They don't like the way the area is changing because of black poor flight.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

BTW if you all haven't read the 4 part article in the Sun you should .... it is a real eye opener.

Posted (edited)

Charles County has a good number of middle-to-upper class black families. Waldorf is home to many of these families. Edited by Manny

Posted (edited)

Charles County has a good number of middle-to-upper class black families. Waldorf is home to many of these families.

What is the percentage? What is a good number? How good are the schools? What is the breakdown of the schools according to race?

An interesting factoid that came out from the Sun's 4 part-er. Integration works really really well...as long as the percentage of blacks stays at or below 40%.

The School near John Hopkins that was set up by John Hopkins did very well for a time. Reason because of a decent balance.

But then.... the big mouths ...started complaining that there were not enough spaces for low income(black) students. SSSSSsoooooooo after much back and forth.... JH threw in the towel and opened up so many spaces for low income black kids that the white kids were squeezed out.

So now black kids make up around 93% of the student population. And guess what .... the school is failing miserably.

All the wonderful innovative things/programs the school had have been shxt canned because money had to be directed to taking care of the black population and all the inherent issues.

So guess who is complaining AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Edited by Guido2

What is the percentage? What is a good number? How good are the schools? What is the breakdown of the schools according to race?

An interesting factoid that came out from the Sun's 4 part-er. Integration works really really well...as long as the percentage of blacks stays at or below 40%.

The School near John Hopkins that was set up by John Hopkins did very well for a time. Reason because of a decent balance.

But then.... the big mouths ...started complaining that there were not enough spaces for low income(black) students. SSSSSsoooooooo after much back and forth.... JH threw in the towel and opened up so many spaces for low income black kids that the white kids were squeezed out.

So now black kids make up around 93% of the student population. And guess what .... the school is failing miserably.

All the wonderful innovative things/programs the school had have been shxt canned because money had to be directed to taking care of the black population and all the inherent issues.

So guess who is complaining AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Waldorf is 53% Black. I am not sure if you have been there lately, but it's become a thriving business epicenter. Houses are very nice as well.

https://suburbanstats.org/population/maryland/how-many-people-live-in-waldorf