Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cprenegade

Harbaugh wants to bring Boldin back

15 posts in this topic

But early in his press conference at the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix, Harbaugh, unprompted, said he would be "interested" in a certain receiver on the market, and was later asked specifically whether the team is considering a reunion with the 15-year veteran.

"I've got to be careful in how I answer that because, of course, we are. Of course, I am. I'm thinking about it every day. Just like I'm thinking about [several other open spots on the roster]," Harbaugh replied.

"But that's up to Ozzie. It's up to all of us, but in the final accounting, I think we need to see what all the options are. And I don't even know if Anquan wants to come back. That would be another thing that we have to look into."

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/John-Harbaugh-In-Favor-Of-Anquan-Boldin-Reunion-If-He-Wants-To-Return/e807ebd9-f4c1-4ecf-947e-276f5cce10fb

I totally disagree with this. I think the Ravens need to get younger and faster overall, not older and slower. When they first brought Boldin in, they were legitimately close to being super bowl contenders, and he was a lot younger. I don't think the Ravens are as close to that now, and he is a lot older. I think the way to build a team into a solid contender is by solid drafting and key young FA signings. Boldin is a waste of money on an older player who doesn't have much time left. I can see signing him if your team has a small window of time left and only needs one or two key pieces to put you over the top, but I don't think the Ravens are at that point.

Posted (edited)

I agree. As Henry Wadsworth Longfellow once famously noted, "Let the dead past bury its dead."

Edited by mdrunning

I see the appeal.

Boldin could slide into Steve Smith's vacated spot.

He could add some sure hands, veteran leadership, and some toughness to the receiver corps.

Should have never let him go in the first place.

Solid veteran leadership is priceless. 

Always loved the guy, so I hope he returns.

Plus, I think they're going to need him.

I see the appeal.

Boldin could slide into Steve Smith's vacated spot.

He could add some sure hands, veteran leadership, and some toughness to the receiver corps.

Ironically, he had more TDs than any of our receivers last season.

Always loved the guy, so I hope he returns.

I think most Ravens fans liked Q. But the 2012 Boldin isn't the guy they'd be signing. 

I think most Ravens fans liked Q. But the 2012 Boldin isn't the guy they'd be signing. 

Point taken,

But I still think he'd be better than the 2016 Wallace we currently have.

Point taken,

The numbers from last season don't bear that out.

The numbers from last season don't bear that out.

I would still be hopeful because other than Pitta, Flacco seemed to have the best chemistry with Boldin.

He's still a decent wide receiver. I'm on board with bringing him back.

Posted (edited)

I'm fine with bringing him back.  I'm also starting to lean towards the John Ross camp at the same time.  If they're both in Owings Mills come August, I'll be fine with that.  Perriman and Ross to stretch the field, Wallace and Boldin to run drags and crossing patterns.

Granted, in the big picture I'd prefer they bolster the OL, blocking TEs, blocking FB, run the ball more, and go deep off play action.  But I have zero reason to think this coaching staff won't have Joe chucking it 60%+ of the time... so why not load up on a wide variety of WR types?

Edited by Ravens2006

Point taken,

Wallace caught 72 balls for over a 1000 yards. Just sayin'

Posted (edited)

Wallace caught 72 balls for over a 1000 yards. Just sayin'

didn't you feel like Wallace's production dropped off in the last quarter of the season? And for some reason as a whole the Raven's WR's rarely get separation from coverage. I feel Boldin is better at coming down with jump balls. I don't know if it's a philosphy they employ or what. That's why I think Marlon Brown bombed and Max Williams is on his way to doing likewise.

Edited by mikemor1