7 replies to this topic

#1 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,721 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

The Associated Press has been ranking the best teams in college basketball since January 1949. Over 68 years and more than 1,100 polls, a total of 200 schools have been ranked and 59 of them have been ranked No. 1 (Saint Louis was the first No. 1).

To determine the all-time Top 100, the AP formula counted poll appearances (one point each) to mark consistency and No. 1 rankings (two points each) to acknowledge elite programs.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I was surprised the Terps are as high as they are.  They are the highest all-time ranked without ever being a #1.

http://collegebasket....ap.org/top-100

#2 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,461 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

That seems about right.  Kind of in that same tier as Michigan State, Notre Dame, Uconn, etc.  Aside from a few blips in the late 80's/early 90's and at the end of Gary's/beginning of Turgeon's tenure, they've been consistently good for a long time.  It's amazing how many times they've been ranked #2 and never got that #1 ranking, including the year they won the championship.  That 2002 team was one of the very best in the history of the game, much less that particular year.  The run they had to win the title, facing the highest possible seeds in each round until the title game against the Hoosiers was amazing.  Thing is, despite that, you had no doubt they would win the title when the tourney started.  They were just "one of those teams", that you knew going in were basically men against boys.  I think four of the main six, played in the NBA.  That's kind of crazy when you think about it. Wilcox, Dixon, Blake, had some years, with Blake having a really long, nice career.  Baxter flamed out and had personal issues. 

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#3 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,163 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:31 PM

That seems about right. Kind of in that same tier as Michigan State, Notre Dame, Uconn, etc. Aside from a few blips in the late 80's/early 90's and at the end of Gary's/beginning of Turgeon's tenure, they've been consistently good for a long time. It's amazing how many times they've been ranked #2 and never got that #1 ranking, including the year they won the championship. That 2002 team was one of the very best in the history of the game, much less that particular year. The run they had to win the title, facing the highest possible seeds in each round until the title game against the Hoosiers was amazing. Thing is, despite that, you had no doubt they would win the title when the tourney started. They were just "one of those teams", that you knew going in were basically men against boys. I think four of the main six, played in the NBA. That's kind of crazy when you think about it. Wilcox, Dixon, Blake, had some years, with Blake having a really long, nice career. Baxter flamed out and had personal issues.

The 2002 team couldn't have beat any of the teams from the 4 years I was there from 1977 to 1981.....

College basketball is nowhere as good as it was back then .....

Not sure any of them other than Dixon would have started .....

Wilcox wasn't better than Albert or Ernie and Lonnie wasn't in bucks league ....

Heck, I was at the game when Erie set the still standing scoring record - if they had the 3 then he would have broke 50 easy ....

Can you imagine a team with Jordan Perkins and worthy as upperclassmen? ....

I have pictures of that team at Cole ....

The key to the 2002 team and to the mid majors success is not having stars good enough to leave early and playing as a team .....

Back before the one and done, even the stars stayed and you had teams of stars that played like a team...

Edited by Eastside Terp, 12 April 2017 - 08:34 PM.

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#4 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,461 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

Yeah, I can't really argue with that.  What I really should have said, they were one of the best of their era/year that they won it.  The teams they had to face in the tournament made it a gauntlet.  That team had one thing I think the 2002 team had was the heart of a champion.  But those 70's early 80's Terps teams should have some hardware, they were pretty spectacular. 

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#5 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

I was at the semi final game in Minnesota in 2001 when they blew the 22 point lead to Duke :( ....

Earlier that year I was in Tampa the night before watching us win the superbowl and watched them blow the 10 point lead to duke in a bay side bar full of term / ravens fans .....

Never forget those 2 nights .....

That was a rough year for that team but it came together in 2002 :) ....

Edited by Eastside Terp, 13 April 2017 - 04:34 PM.

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#6 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,461 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

I was at the semi final game in Minnesota in 2001 when they blew the 22 point lead to Duke :( ....

Earlier that year I was in Tampa the night before watching us win the superbowl and watched them blow the 10 point lead to duke in a bay side bar full of term / ravens fans .....

Never forget those 2 nights .....

That was a rough year for that team but it came together in 2002 :) ....

Yup, I remember those two games like they happened yesterday.  Both times, I felt the refs played a major role.  Phantom fouls on Blake in the "Gone in 60 seconds" game, and phantom fouls on Baxter and Wilcox in the Final Four Semi.  Just made it that much more satisfying when they won it all the next year....man that rivalry was great then.

#7 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,586 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

The Terps had to be ranked 1st at the end of the 2002 season didn't they?

Flu

What is a veteran? This is the best definition I've found:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

#8 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,721 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:40 PM

The Terps had to be ranked 1st at the end of the 2002 season didn't they?

The AP doesn't do post tournament rankings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users