Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
agentorange

AS THE DRAFT BOARD TURNS (The official 2017 NFL/Ravens Draft Thread).....

69 posts in this topic

WELCOME TO ANOTHER THRILLING AND EXCITING  EPISODE OF " AS THE DRAFT BOARD TURNS"..... 

Recap of THE LAST EPIC SAGA......  Ravens Fans were frothing at the mouth at the possibility of  landing Joey Bosa as many of us began warming up to Miles Jack as draft day loomed only to get a soap opera of a surprise when Jeremy Tunsil demonstrated his awesome and unique pass blocking....I met smoking skills, for the entire world to see..ENTER MR. OZ....we should have all seen the Stanley pick coming a mile away, after all Mr. Oz is all wise, pragmatic and breathtakingly frugal and of course, we all pretty much knew that  Flacco needed more protection. But what sets  Mr. Oz apart from the other GM'S, is that he does what he does with a huge side of slickeration that borders on mind boggling and makes him almost totally unpredictable.....see Ravens entire  2016 Draft class and go figure. I'm not sure one person was able to predict any of the picks he made last year.

WE PICK UP IN THE ACTION WITH......a draft that appears to be of GODLY INTERVENTION.....one that favors the Ravens in way that makes it easy to see that God is a Ravens fan...a draft, mouth watering deep in the areas where the Ravens need the most help..TO INCLUDE....DRUM ROLL PLEASE.....a bag load of talented edge Rushers...hell, there's too many of them to name...same with cb's as this years draft is completely loaded  with shut down corners galore...anyone in need of a top flight db can find one as low as the third round. Throw in a solid qb class that will scramble all of what I just mentioned like a a heaping of scrambled eggs with cheese and we have a blockbuster of a draft not seen before...EVER.....

WE ALL KNOW THE ROUTINE.....Its all about Mr. Oz....what he thinks...what he does....what will he do...we make out predictions...we make out opinions....we all come to the conclusion that we have finally figured him out.....only to have our jaws hang in our laps when he picks players we never saw coming, much less even knew about.....

OK......ITS TIME.....Given this years draft is deep in DE's and CB's, This is the year I think OZ will be most predictable and operate on cruise control...he will simply use the first several rounds to get the top DE and  CB available then go HAM in rounds 3 to 7, doing what he does, picking totally unknown players from a vast variety of schools to include DV2 and Mother Mary's school of the blind in southeast central northwest Idaho.......

LETS DO IT.........

Edited by agentorange

This years draft is hella loaded....the qb class, tho not stellar is much improved and deeper than last year. There are plenty Ol's, De's, Cb's and Wr's to choose from and there are a number of blue chip Te's as well. I personally think  Ross (Wash Wr) is the best player in the draft but he will be long gone by the time the Ravens are on the clock. I don't think the Ravens need to take the best player available per say....the draft is extremely deep in their areas of need. They can actually sit back this year and allow the draft to come to them. There are at least 4-6 sweet Edge Rushers, 5-7 Shut down CB's and 3-5 very good OL's. These are all areas of need for the Ravens.  

This team has enough holes that all I want us to do is take the best player on the board.

Yup. I would not be disturbed to take another OL first. I still believe that is where it all begins.

I'd like to see Barnett drop to us. I think he's under rated/ under appreciated- he's just an old school football player and knows the game inside and out.

If Barnett is gone, I'd like Corey Davis, or Mike Williams. Get Flacco a true #1 WR for once. I mean - when we had a true 1 in his Prime (Boldin) we won a SB for god sakes. It's not that hard- just go get him one.

My pipe dream is Fournette- he'd inject a toughness grit and offense that we haven't had since Jamal Lewis retired.

Who do I think we get?

OT Cam Robinson or CB Marlon Humphrey...

I wouldn't be upset- depending on if they can snag a WR like JuJu Smith Shuster, Chris Godwin or Zay Jones in round 2.

After how good that draft was last year- I still think sometimes Oz is too smart for his own good- trading out of our 2nd round pick for Correa so far has been a disaster.

A number one WR is pointless if your QB is on his back

No argument here- this team needs both OL and playmakers. Oz has his work cut out for him. I'm not expecting them to be able to seriously contend this year. I think they're 2 seasons away. Just get the best player on the board as stated above- whether that be OL or WR or ILB or CB or DE whatever it is, we have a lot of holes to plug.

If Oz gets what he wants in this years draft, the Ravens can contend.....once again, this years draft favors them......its deep in  De's, Cb's and Ol's...all areas of weakness for the Ravens...this means that all free agents playing those positions will have to lower their pay demands....

Part of me loves imagining Rueben Foster dropping to them. That kid is a player.

man him and mosley would wreak havoc on the AFC North for years and years. no one would want to play this team.

Their play styles are so complimentary where Mosley is cerebral and can dissect the play, Foster is a guided missile who could absolutely crush the will of ball carriers he erases. 

Sadly I think too good to be true- foster will be gone in the top 10 imo and if somehow he isn't Cincy will take him...

I love your post Poe,

and I agree with most of what you, and others have posted so far.

I think Reuben Foster is the best player in this draft, so I imagine he'll be gone by 16.

And if Barnett was there at 16, he'd be the guy to get for sure, but he'll probably also be gone.

So, with that being the case, I think it's a toss up between the top DE left at 16 vs. the top RT.

If they go RT, you know they're going to pick a DE in round 2, so there goes the WR (love Smith-Schuster) for that round.

Unless they trade Jernigan for a second round draft pick.

Because they are going to need their 2 third round picks for OL and CB.

And if they don't get a top round WR, I think they sign Boldin. 

I see in Casserly's mock he has them getting Corey Davis at 16, but they seem to have line holes to fill.

The other guy they might end up getting is Cunningham from Vandy, because Correa was another blown pick, IMO.

One thing Oz is right about, they need more draft picks.

Foster is more of a "Will" Linebacker....he is extremely athletic with crazy range....he would greatly benefit from Mosely's calls and really hurt some teams...he has the knack for being in places the ball carrier would never expect...I can bet bet you my house that The Steelers are frothing at the mouth for this kid and just might trade up to get him....

AS I SAID IN LAST YEARS DRAFT THREAD....You guys need to stop it with the mock draft b.s...the reason being is that not one of the top experts can and has predicted any draft beyond anything better than a 7%  accuracy...on their best day, the best of them might be able to predict  maybe 5-7 of the first round draft picks...anything after that is pure luck....and NO....Mel Kiper is not one of the best at predicting the draft....he runs around the middle of the pack...his expertise is more or less knowing the players and knowing them very well....however, when it comes to knowing players not on the radar such as lets say Oz would, he is damn clueless....pay attention to this guy when the Ravens make their picks...he suddenly becomes very quiet and starts looking for information as the Ravens tend to draft kids that are virtually unknown or simply over looked....I recall last Year when Judon was drafted....He clammed up and was suddenly missing from the broadcast....he was also clueless on Tavon Young and was fumbling for info on him as well....

Edited by agentorange

AS I SAID IN LAST YEARS DRAFT THREAD....You guys need to stop it with the mock draft b.s...

I don't really care about Mock Drafts- I just read them to get player insight. By the way WR Mike Williams and LB Hassan Reddick are visiting the Ravens for a pre-draft meet up. Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but still interesting to hear.

Mike williams has been growing on me- the more tape I watch of him the better I think he can be. He really dominated another 1st round CB we're looking at - Marlon Humphrey - in the NCAA championship. Humphrey had him covered he just out-dueled him. 

I don't really care about Mock Drafts- I just read them to get player insight. By the way WR Mike Williams and LB Hassan Reddick are visiting the Ravens for a pre-draft meet up. Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but still interesting to hear.

Mike williams has been growing on me- the more tape I watch of him the better I think he can be. He really dominated another 1st round CB we're looking at - Marlon Humphrey - in the NCAA championship. Humphrey had him covered he just out-dueled him.

Don't you think Mike Williams is a little slow? Or do they just need a guy who can be a red zone receiver? (Not that it's a bad thing).

What do you think of Zach Cunningham? I like that guy.

Mike Williams is slow but he still catches it over top DBs. He's acrobatic for being as big as he is. If he learns to run sharp routes and build on his footwork and fakes he's got the potential to be one of the best WRs in football. He's got a little Dez Bryant / Brandon Marshall to his game and if he works at it can be just as effective. His cieling is higher than any other WR in this draft which is why I think he'll go first before Davis or Speed guy Ross. Also Flacco's bombs are inaccurate- Williams catch radius seems tailor made for that kind of qb imo.

I haven't read up on cunningham much- I did notice him losing ground to other LBs like Watt and Reddick for some reason in terms of big boards. I do remember Cunningham at one point was considered the 2nd best LB this draft. We def need a LB though or we'll be forced to roll the dice with Correa.

I'M GOING TO TAKE THE LIBERTIES OF CALLING IT NOW.....OZ WILL NOT DRAFT A WR IN THE FIRST ROUND......off the top, Ross will be gone within the first 5 picks because he is that good...second, even if he was still on  the board, the Ravens are not going to draft him....it is the armchair qb's with low football I.Q who come here year after year, raving and hoping the Ravens will  take a big playmaker like Ross....it won't happen....OZ thinks NFL football...not playstation football...his top picks are almost always going to be used on football players and not playmakers....Bet your house the Ravens are going to take a edge rusher or another OL first, then move for a CB....mark my word.

OZ thinks NFL football...not playstation football...his top picks are almost always going to be used on football players and not playmakers....Bet your house the Ravens are going to take a edge rusher or another OL first, then move for a CB....mark my word.

You know I wish you had talked to him right before he drafted Perriman in round 1 based on hype/projection.

Also I'm taking the liberties to call it now-no way in hell Ross goes top 5. I'll check back with you after the draft on that one!

I'M GOING TO TAKE THE LIBERTIES OF CALLING IT NOW.....OZ WILL NOT DRAFT A WR IN THE FIRST ROUND......off the top, Ross will be gone within the first 5 picks because he is that good...second, even if he was still on  the board, the Ravens are not going to draft him....it is the armchair qb's with low football I.Q who come here year after year, raving and hoping the Ravens will  take a big playmaker like Ross....it won't happen....OZ thinks NFL football...not playstation football...his top picks are almost always going to be used on football players and not playmakers....Bet your house the Ravens are going to take a edge rusher or another OL first, then move for a CB....mark my word.

I think you're right: Pass Rusher, CB, OL and WR in third. Hopefully a C in 4th. If they can't get a good trade for Jernigan, they may even trade out of 16 to for an additional pick. 

@Poefolks....Perryiman was more than a playmaker.....first off...he was a need player and at the time he was picked,the Ravens needed hom more than lets say a OL, DE or CB....things have changed.....now they need a OL, DE or CB more than they need a playmaker at wr......second, he was a big and physical dude who fit the Ravens mold.....Ross is a string bean and is not known for blocking or being physical...

Alright Agent we got a few more weeks to find out! At least we can agree this draft will be very hard to predict, very interesting, and takes too damn long to get here!

One thing I can tell you that I have observed over the years is this....a poorly managed front office will almost always go after the big playmaker or franchise like qb because they are under pressure to win and want instant results (See browns year after year). However, the better managed front Office will  usually go after football players...meaning, they play by the numbers and book and will often seek to build a team that can play power football,  protect a qb  and then play good D. Oz does this year in and year out...so do the Steelers, Patriots, Chiefs,  Packers and now the Cards....if there is a poorly managed team picking amongst the top 5....They can or will be stupid enough to pick a guy like Ross...then give him a billion dollars......then watch him play poorly and blame the guy for under performing despite their lack or patience with regards to first, building a Good Oline that keeps the Dline rested and off the field..one that can protect a playmaker and at least give the guy opportunities to make plays....

I'm changing my mind- after hearing Harbaugh say they need "playmakers", if Barnett is there in round 1 I think they take him.

But I think if that happens, they take a WR in round 2.

If Barnett is gone I think they take Christian McCaffrey.