Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
agentorange

AS THE DRAFT BOARD TURNS (The official 2017 NFL/Ravens Draft Thread).....

69 posts in this topic

IMO if one of the RBs falls to them they should take him over a WR. Baltimore's current RBs are decent but they are not the caliber of those in the top of the draft and that could balance the offense a bit where the WRs could get open more. Right now opposing defense just don't respect the Ravens running game.

@Mikemore1....Throughout last years draft, Harbaugh consistently said they needed and wanted a playmaker, then drafted Stanley.....What I think Harbaugh is saying is He would like a playmaker but in the end, he is pragmatic.....more than likely he will take another tackle....he can afford to do so because this years drafty is very deep in DE's and ,CB's ....The Ravens can get a first round caliber DE or CB in the second round.      

In the hands of a good OC, I think McCaffrey makes a bigger impact.

I think they can get a good RT in the guy from Pitt, A. Bisnowaty, whom they can get in 3rd round. A legit RT in lowers rounds is more possible than a LT . So, that's my thinking.

Edited by mikemor1

In the hands of a good OC, I think McCaffrey makes a bigger impact.

I think they can get a good RT in the guy from Pitt, A. Bisnowaty, whom they can get in 3rd round. A legit RT in lowers rounds is more possible than a LT . So, that's my thinking.

Plus this team is good at finding OL in any round really. They know what they're doing in that dept.

In terms of playmaking, I think McCaffrey is the way to go.

I think if they Giants can get him they will, and I think he will be the difference of putting them in the playoffs.

So, why shouldn't we just take him instead?

In terms of playmaking, I think McCaffrey is the way to go.

I think if they Giants can get him they will, and I think he will be the difference of putting them in the playoffs.

So, why shouldn't we just take him instead?

I like McCaffrey but nothing I've seen tells me our OC is good enough to max McCaffrey's potential. If he goes to the Giants, or Arizona, or NE or N.O. he'll be electric. Our OC doesn't seem to know how to play to our player's strengths and McCaffrey will do better where they know how to use him.

No way in hell McCaffrey is a top 10 pick....don't get me wrong, the kid is damn good but not that good....off the top, this years draft is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadeeeeeeeed.....just too many edge rushers, top flight db's, big time te's and a decent class of wr's...it wont happen

I like McCaffrey but nothing I've seen tells me our OC is good enough to max McCaffrey's potential. If he goes to the Giants, or Arizona, or NE or N.O. he'll be electric. Our OC doesn't seem to know how to play to our player's strengths and McCaffrey will do better where they know how to use him.

which brings us back to what Birdfan says- defenses are confident they can contain Raven's RB's. I was hoping with the addition of Roman, that could change, because it needs to.

@Poefolks.....Olines win championships...a poor Oline makes a good rb old news....a fair Oline makes a good rb sub par....a good Oline makes a good rb adequate....a excellent Oline makes a good rb a MVP......Oz is going to draft an Olinemen.....a good Ravens Oline will make both Dixon and West good enough that we wont need Mcaffrey........Unlearn what you have learned  young Skywalker.........this is the way to understanding the force......

@Poefolks.....Olines win championships...a poor Oline makes a good rb old news....a fair Oline makes a good rb sub par....a good Oline makes a good rb adequate....a excellent Oline makes a good rb a MVP......Oz is going to draft an Olinemen.....a good Ravens Oline will make both Dixon and West good enough that we wont need Mcaffrey........Unlearn what you have learned  young Skywalker.........this is the way to understanding the force......

What do you think of Pittsburgh's Oline? Bell is MVP quality, but would you call their Oline excellent? I think sometimes you need playmakers. A good Ravens Oline will make West and Dixon better, but it isn't turning either of them into a league leading, all pro RB. I'm not saying they should, or even would, draft a potential playmaker over a good Olineman. What I am saying is that at some point they will need to get a playmaker in the backfield if they want the running game to significantly improve.

I fully understand your point but listen...my argument has nothing to do with what I think the Ravens should do...I am am only predicting what I think they will do...its not like i agree or disagree with what picks I think they might make....I happen to think the Ravens need more protection for Flacco and improve the run game...if they want to win and win big....Flacco just may be the most accurate and successful deep passer ever...but he cannot do what he does unless he has the protection to do it. He  also needs a running game to set up play action and give him space on short yardage downs. I feel that Oz knows this and will draft accordingly....therefore, I see them taking the best Olinemen available then check down to a edge rusher and a shut down corner...

By the way....I don't think the Steelers have a great Oline but what they do have is a great run blocking Oline....I disagree with you with regards to what wins games....I think the Dixon and West could be all pro;s if the Ravens had a better Oline.... 

I fully understand your point but listen...my argument has nothing to do with what I think the Ravens should do...I am am only predicting what I think they will do...its not like i agree or disagree with what picks I think they might make....I happen to think the Ravens need more protection for Flacco and improve the run game...if they want to win and win big....Flacco just may be the most accurate and successful deep passer ever...but he cannot do what he does unless he has the protection to do it. He  also needs a running game to set up play action and give him space on short yardage downs. I feel that Oz knows this and will draft accordingly....therefore, I see them taking the best Olinemen available then check down to a edge rusher and a shut down corner...

I absolutely agree that it all starts with the offensive line. Just one example: a characteristic of many of the Ravens' losses last year was falling apart in the fourth quarter. We tend to blame the defense, but if the offense can be relied on to grind out a 6 or 8 minute length of field drive in the fourth quarter, what a boost that is for the D. It's the O-line and the resulting rushing attack that wears the other team down when the game is on the line.

It would not bother me at all to take the best offensive lineman available in the first round.

@Steveg.......What made last years draft so interesting, is the Ravens had a very high pick, but initially, the Ravens draft was circumvented by the loss of  Osemeley. However, Oz did lots of wheeling and dealing as to make up for having to draft Stanley. This years is entirely different....The board is breathtakingly deep in all areas...even the qb class is deep with at least 4 projected first round picks.......This years draft is Tailor made for Oz to kill it....while he is still boxed in by the need for a OL, the talent pool is deep enough for him to recover and land far superior talent than last year.  Not only that, this years class of top OL's is far more diverse, far deeper and far more talented than last year...when I say diverse, that includes OL's that are very physical as opposed to Stanley and Tunsil, who were more or less drafted because of their range and athletic ability. I am hearing rumors about Mangold signing on as well...if he does and the Ravens get a top flight tackle, it could be whats needed to win games in the 4th quarter.....

Edited by agentorange

By the way....I don't think the Steelers have a great Oline but what they do have is a great run blocking Oline....I disagree with you with regards to what wins games....I think the Dixon and West could be all pro;s if the Ravens had a better Oline....

No, I don't really think we disagree with what wins games. I absolutely acknowledge that both lines, the so called trenches, are where the foundation for winning is created. I think where we disagree is with the level of talent of the Ravens RBs. I don't think they would be all pros behind Dallas Oline, which is acknowledged to be the best in the game. Although I will cut Dixon a little slack because I don't think we have a big enough sample size to be sure. I just think the Ravens lack consistent, dynamic playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. But yeah, playmakers without a good Oline would most likely be wasted talent.

I'm not buying all this Ravens talk about drafting a wr.....I thing its a smoke screen

I'd also be surprised if they did- I"m thinking they may draft one with their second pick in round 3, unless they trade out of round 1 and end up with 2 second round picks.

Not to confine Oz too much to the Alabama box, but he does have good connections to the super big-time program there, and I would be very pleased with either Robinson at OT or Foster at LB. I agree there are WRs and RBs later.

Not to confine Oz too much to the Alabama box, but he does have good connections to the super big-time program there, and I would be very pleased with either Robinson at OT or Foster at LB. I agree there are WRs and RBs later.

I believe they will go OL unless someone rated higher drops down to them or they draft out of the 1st round. There's two intriguing RBs that will go early in the draft and there's a ton of great DLs in the draft - which makes me think they will wait until later to draft one.

Edited by ncbirdfan

I believe they will go OL unless someone rated higher drops down to them or they draft out of the 1st round. There's two intriguing RBs that will go early in the draft and there's a ton of great DLs in the draft - which makes me think they will wait until later to draft one.

Depending who is on the board they may trade back a few spots. They need a 1st rd play maker, be it a WR or DE. If the ones rated higher are gone then an OL could be taken with a trade down. Drafting a day one starting guard and kicking Lewis to RT would help the line.

All of you made good points....what happened to the Mangold thing.....is he gonna sign or what?

I think they're waiting till after the draft to see where they're at- and will then focus on getting him in here. Right now they are probably consumed by thursday night. Only four days till christmas in april!!

All of you made good points....what happened to the Mangold thing.....is he gonna sign or what?

Maybe waiting to see if a center is drafted .?? Mangold only wants to play center and most teams outside of the Ravens want him to play guard. Don't know what is asking price is also.