#1 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,615 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

http://www.baltimore...0330-story.html

Defense attorney Ivan J. Bates said in an email to supporters Wednesday that he is considering a run for Baltimore State's Attorney and has formed a candidate committee. Bates, 48, is a former city prosecutor who tried homicides and has been a defense attorney for the past 15 years, including representing one of the officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray. Campaign finance records show Bates filed paperwork necessary to raise money earlier this week.

"I definitely think I've heard from a lot of people that we need to have change," Bates said in an interview Thursday. "Right now I'm just exploring that opportunity, to sit down and talk to the voters, to make sure that I'm the individual that the community wants to be that change agent."

Bates' announcement comes as incumbent State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby is set to hold a fundraiser Thursday night at the Ritz Carlton Estates in Federal Hill. The event is billed as a reception honoring Mosby with special guest U.S. Rep. Elijah E. Cummings.

Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#2 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,175 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Knowing he was one of the cops lawyer's will hurt him.

#3 retired

retired

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

I don't know Bates but I wish him the best of luck -- and victory at the polls.

#4 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

I wonder when bogart will be on here to trash Bates? Anyone is better than the insurance attorney.

#5 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Well he can't be any worse than what is in there now..........oooopppppssss.....

A lot of people felt the same way about President.....look what we got.

#6 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Well he can't be any worse than what is in there now..........oooopppppssss.....

A lot of people felt the same way about President.....look what we got.

The only thing I am counting on with Trump is appointing good judges, especially to the Supreme Court. Hillary would have appointed Ginsburg and Breyer types.

#7 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

The only thing I am counting on with Trump is appointing good judges, especially to the Supreme Court. Hillary would have appointed Ginsburg and Breyer types.

Debating that is kinda for another thread....isn't it.

But, sorry gang, do you think appointing what's his name is a good idea with this cloud  hanging over the Admin? Suppose it turns out the Admin is totally illegitimate....for what ever reason.

There are no touch back with the SC judges. They can't go back and Un-judge him. Good bad or indifferent...he is there till he croaks.

Sidebar; This for life thing is REALLY a dinosaur that has to be put down. When the forefathers came up with it....people rarely I MEAN RARELY lived much past 60. Now.....???? Sorry that is all wrong in this day and age and health care IMO

Edited by Guido2, 31 March 2017 - 08:33 PM.

#8 AugusteDupin

AugusteDupin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

I had the privilege to sit and meet with Ivan Bates. We discussed / compared our legal careers, outlooks, and life in general. Great guy and very experienced in litigation. He's been on both sides of the fence. He's a very smart and articulate individual. If I lived in the city, I'd vote for him. He has my complete support and wish him the very best in his endeavors. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users