Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saticon3

Anybody Know Much About " Fixed Wireless Internet"

6 posts in this topic

Excuse my ignorance. This is prompted by the possibility of AT & T-- who I have been thoroughly satisfied with-- not providing U-verse TV to my area any more in the near future, and I'm wondering if/when that happens if I would want to stay with AT& T for only internet-- or even if they would continue to provide Internet. So I am pre - emptively looking for alternatives. Looks like the only real alternative is Comcast, who I hate- I guess everybody does, -- Comcast, or any of a number of smaller companies that seem to just be agents of the big 2, that or still use the big 2's network and lines, just some  how as a different company- maybe like alternative power companies that use the utility's lines.

Then I found something called "Fixed Wireless Internet"

Apparently, you get Internet to a router from either wi-fi or a dish and from there its much like the traditional hard wired - to the house.  They claim equal or faster speeds but that seems hard to believe I always thought wired anything was faster. They won't quote a price unless you let them do a "site survery" first, I'd like to know a little more before I do that. 

Really don't know what you're looking for as I am not knowledgeable about "internet TV". I get my TV from Dish which I've stuck with for close to 25yrs now.

What I do know is that in the City you basically have One choice for Hi-Speed internet which is Comcast. Verizon's DSL advertises no faster than 1Mb and I dumped them long ago and get along with Comcast Basic Internet at 3Mb speed. Verizon came right out and said long ago they have no plans to bring FIOS into the City. No Competition so no Choice.

There WAS a Wireless Internet outfit but since they have Data Caps just like a Phone and was no cheaper, I saw no reason to even try it.

So if you're in the County you should have the choice between Comcast Cable Internet and Verizon FIOS. That's about it. Don't think you'll see any "Gigabit" service in these parts for a long time if ever.

Edited by Bartman

From what I googled, "Fixed Wireless Internet" is a configuration or method  that allows internet access. Compare to DSL or fiber optics or microwave dish.

It is offered by different companies in different areas, and is an option to consider if you live outside of a dense population area (such as The Dark Doodad Nebula or areas around Jacksonville, Fla.).

The company requesting an on-site survey should have a name.

More info from Wikipedia:

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

You can get throughput speeds over methods that qualify as "fixed wireless".

I'd stay away from a satellite method unless you really have to; the delay and limited uplink rates are a pain. It's a lot better than nothing if you live in the middle of nowhere.

The terrestrial (ground) methods that are commonly used for this service are WiMAX, point-to-point microwave, or even LTE. You can get data rates on any of these that are just as fast as what you can get from a copper/fiber line in a "normal" service (copper, fiber, and radio means all have situational considerations that can degrade them, but the technology is fine). The only downside is that sometimes annoying things happen with radio that don't happen with copper/fiber and you could end up with more down time or degraded service.

Whatever service it is, they're asking to do a "site survey" so they can determine the radio link performance at your location; it may not work well or at all there.

If you have them do the site survey and the quote, they will be able to tell you what the max throughput rates are and you can compares those to copper/fiber services with the cost.