Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eaglesinsider

CalPreps Initial National/State Rankings

120 posts in this topic

I think it's coming up again this year with the upswing in transfers from last year

Why couldn't they play a free agent schedule locally and 3-4 national type games?  That wouldn't be more national type games and the locals would just change from the MIAA-A foes (who don't really have any history/rivalry with SFA beyond 2-3 years) to random teams like Avalon/Riverdale/FCA/Etc

I think playing 8-9 games Nationally without a field also isn't long term feasible. That's very very expensive. And let's just say that it's something they could wing, what happens when their record is .500 or below every year. Will the kids keep coming without at least a league title to look forward to?

Ok so this was all about last season ? Business as usual this upcoming season ?

Things are still going on in the MIAA but the bigger issue is the public side.  That could lead to big problems for the MIAA if they go after SFA and pull the leagues accreditation.

So that means the rest of the schools couldn't play the publics

Quick correction, Shane Lee isn't going to SFA. Big for SJC to keep him.

Quick correction, Shane Lee isn't going to SFA. Big for SJC to keep him.

That sucks

So when you say you confirmed, does that mean they are going to SFA

i was able to confirm that they are indeed looking into transferring, Idk if it will happen or not

Posted (edited)

So that means the rest of the schools couldn't play the publics

Much more serious than that. The only real power the MPSSAA holds over the privates is the "approved non-members list." If you're not on this list, any school that's a member of their states NFHS-affiliated membership (every school in the US but MD/DC/VA/TX privates) would risk having their entire season forfeited by playing a non-sanctioned school. 

This is the hurdle ECA ran into their first season when they could only get a couple games because the MPSSAA refused to sanction them as an approved non-member.

The MIAA schools have received a blanket waiver in the past. They may pull that and make schools file individually every year because allowing SFA to go rouge means the conference would lose its "enforcement authority and thus would no longer meet this criteria for inclusion: © High schools that are members of an athletic conference that formally adopts these Standards of Competition as part of its Constitution and Bylaws and has enforcement authority.

SFA would be ineligible to be granted approved non-member status if they broke any of the criteria, with these being the most likely violations: 4. The high school team does not permit students, who have reached the age of 19 years old or older as of August 31, to practice or play. AND/OR 9. High school team members may participate in interscholastic athletic contests in a maximum of four seasons in one sport within the 9th through 12th grades.

Link to the form you file with the MPSSAA: http://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Standards_Of_Competition_Form.pdf

I don't see why the other schools would lose their waiver if SFA did, but it would be a blow to the prestige of the MIAA and would be more paperwork for the rest of the schools.

Edited by eaglesinsider

I thought the other thread was funny, this one takes the cake. Who needs facts when you can can trump it with just being whacky?

Sorry, SFA is not better than DM. Will they have more talent? Who knows, but to say a team full of transfers is better than a national top 10 team who is returning more than half of their starters and is projected to be better is absurd.

The CalPreps rankings, at this point, are a joke. A lot of the calculation has to do with point and yardage producer's returning. McD is high for obvious reasons. While that stat means something, it doesn't take into account who is filling in those spots, especially with talent rich schools who follow the "next man up" motto.

Right now I have to agree with you.  Mainly because it is April, just far too early to make any rankings.  CalPreps depend on accurate data provided by "coaches".  And as of April only 6 of their Maryland Top 25 ranked schools have provided data. So I agree...kind of a joke at this point.

I absolutely believe that SJC is a sinking ship. I'm told that Plank does business with the Head Coach and is why he is there. Hear that Plank really doesn't care that much about the program, he just donates. Involved in name alone. Hearing more about a possible SFA/Plank collaboration in the future. Have to remember, although Plank is a D.C. area native, he now resides in the Bmore area.

Plank is also a SJC graduate. He has put a lot of money into the school, not just the football team. I don't think he ends up collaborating with SFA, he's a Cadet in and out.

MaxPreps came out with their way too early national top 100 a few days ago. They give out the 100 teams by state and without placement, so who knows who is ranked where between the 100 schools. Anyway, MD/DC will have 4 schools ranked this preseason. 

DeMatha, St. Frances, St. John's and Wise.

Did anyone get snubbed(McD, GC, etc...)?

Will all 4 end the season in the 100?

Do you think the national media knows what SFA is stockpiling? Shoild they start out Top 25?

21 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

MaxPreps came out with their way too early national top 100 a few days ago. They give out the 100 teams by state and without placement, so who knows who is ranked where between the 100 schools. Anyway, MD/DC will have 4 schools ranked this preseason. 

DeMatha, St. Frances, St. John's and Wise.

Did anyone get snubbed(McD, GC, etc...)?

Will all 4 end the season in the 100?

Do you think the national media knows what SFA is stockpiling? Shoild they start out Top 25?

St. John's shouldn't be ranked in any Poll, they have been gutted! Lost another of their top players last week to The Peddie School. Even if Ellis is still at McD, shouldn't be Top 100. 

I'm sure the Pollsters know all about what's at SFA. They will be Top 25, maybe even Top 10 Pre-Season. 

19 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

St. John's shouldn't be ranked in any Poll, they have been gutted! Lost another of their top players last week to The Peddie School. Even if Ellis is still at McD, shouldn't be Top 100. 

I'm sure the Pollsters know all about what's at SFA. They will be Top 25, maybe even Top 10 Pre-Season. 

Yea, SJC has lost a lot, but what do they have coming in? I can't imagine those who pull the strings over there letting what's left limp out against that schedule. 

3 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

Yea, SJC has lost a lot, but what do they have coming in? I can't imagine those who pull the strings over there letting what's left limp out against that schedule. 

I hear they have a great recruiting class, but that's not going to help them. The QB transfer is a serous downgrade, I don't think they're even a Top 10 area team, definitely not Top 100 nationally. 

19 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I hear they have a great recruiting class, but that's not going to help them. The QB transfer is a serous downgrade, I don't think they're even a Top 10 area team, definitely not Top 100 nationally. 

Let's just say that you're spot on about SJC '17. Kind of a weird question, but if DLS, SJB, IMG, and SJR blow the doors off of SJC this coming season, does their program take two more steps back? We know the current staff can't keep kids even after the best season ever. Will the young talent stay after getting embarrassed every week? Usually that only happens when the kids believe in the coach and the process. Basically, is there any light at the end of the tunnel for SJC football on a national scale? They've been running their mouths  for years about how they are going to be the prominent program in the area. 

You really think last year at 8-4 was their best season ever? Most hyped season ever, yes. Best season every, cant be. The school has won 9 WCAC (Metro Conference) championships though none in like the last 28 or so  years.. Considering all the hype and bring in the players they brought in, I would think it would have to be one of their worst seasons ever. At best, it can be their 10th best season ever. The 9 championship seasons have to come first......though when you are throwing that "bag" at the kids, it is easy to "restock". Though a lot of them can play anywhere and as this off season proves, they have no problem leaving and going anywhere.....

They still have a lot of good talent there but as in past seasons, the coaching will probably prevent the kids from being successful on the field. There are a lot of coaches out there that could make HOF careers with the kids SJC still  has and will continue to get....just probably not the coaches that are there

1 hour ago, araiderfan said:

You really think last year at 8-4 was their best season ever? Most hyped season ever, yes. Best season every, cant be. The school has won 9 WCAC (Metro Conference) championships though none in like the last 28 or so  years.. Considering all the hype and bring in the players they brought in, I would think it would have to be one of their worst seasons ever. At best, it can be their 10th best season ever. The 9 championship seasons have to come first......though when you are throwing that "bag" at the kids, it is easy to "restock". Though a lot of them can play anywhere and as this off season proves, they have no problem leaving and going anywhere.....

They still have a lot of good talent there but as in past seasons, the coaching will probably prevent the kids from being successful on the field. There are a lot of coaches out there that could make HOF careers with the kids SJC still  has and will continue to get....just probably not the coaches that are there

I guess it's all how you want to look at it. They didn't win the championship, but they had their best national ranking ever. They beat the #1 team in NJ(SJR) by two scores and the #2 team in PA in Pitt CC badly. 3 of their losses were to top 5 teams in the country in DM and IMG. No team in SJC history can say any of that. But, you're right, people only remember the championships, so I'll correct myself and say "most talented" team ever. 

My point was that SJC was in prime position to take the program to the next level and then they got gutted out of nowhere. They had massive momentum and now this...GC was banging on DM's door for a few years then they went on their run. DM was pushing GC hard until they regained control. Neither of those programs had to deal with anything like this. Does SJC staff, as it's currently constructed, have what it takes to take the program to where they want to be? Or should they blow the whole thing up and start again? Lord knows they have the financial backing to do either.  

5 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

Let's just say that you're spot on about SJC '17. Kind of a weird question, but if DLS, SJB, IMG, and SJR blow the doors off of SJC this coming season, does their program take two more steps back? We know the current staff can't keep kids even after the best season ever. Will the young talent stay after getting embarrassed every week? Usually that only happens when the kids believe in the coach and the process. Basically, is there any light at the end of the tunnel for SJC football on a national scale? They've been running their mouths  for years about how they are going to be the prominent program in the area. 

I think SJC could seriously lose 8 games this year. Kids are about the flavor of the day and if they have that sort of record(even if the don't), kids will leave. SFA is the hot thing right now, and DeMatha is DeMatha, kids will jump ship fast to both schools. Unless SJC gets a new staff in there, doesn't matter how much money they throw around. 

Posted (edited)

Nice to read several posts about football.  Almost every board has been dead with few comments and very little news being shared.  I've actually wondered where people have gone?

Having said this I wonder what others think about DeMatha and Bishop Gorman which is only two months away?  I understand that DM has two noteworthy transfers but did not win the MD 7 on 7.  Any comments?  How has SFA looked in their 7 on 7's?  

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/nfa-7v7-nationals-kevin-doyle-st-johns-football-recruiting is an interesting piece about Kevin Doyle, St. John's new qb who transferred from Malvern Prep.  

Edited by BigDrop

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Nice to read several posts about football.  Almost every board has been dead with few comments and very little news being shared.  I've actually wondered where people have gone?

Having said this I wonder what others think about DeMatha and Bishop Gorman which is only two months away?  I understand that DM has two noteworthy transfers but did not win the MD 7 on 7.  Any comments?  How has SFA looked in their 7 on 7's?  

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/nfa-7v7-nationals-kevin-doyle-st-johns-football-recruiting is an interesting piece about Kevin Doyle, St. John's new qb who transferred from Malvern Prep.  

Gorman hasn't lost in ages and would be stunned if DeMatha beat them. What transfers did DM get? 

I saw Doyle play last year against Gilman, he's not very good and wasn't even the starter on the team at Malvern. He is a major downgrade at QB for SJC. 

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

He was benched, he didn't even start most of the season. He has a 5 minute tape of his junior year, everybody can look good on a very short highlight tape. I saw him play, not a highlight tape, against a bad Gilman team(and horrible defense) and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM