Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eaglesinsider

CalPreps Initial National/State Rankings

120 posts in this topic

O'Doyle looks legit in 7v7/camp work. Like real legit. We'll see how that translates on the field.

GA, stayed tuned on DM.

Drop, 7v7 is great. DM is a running team. Beside that, those DM kids need something to get worried about. BG is no joke out in LV.

6 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Gorman hasn't lost in ages and would be stunned if DeMatha beat them. What transfers did DM get? 

I saw Doyle play last year against Gilman, he's not very good and wasn't even the starter on the team at Malvern. He is a major downgrade at QB for SJC. 

I know there are at least two but I know very little about either.  It would be more appropriate for someone else to post about them.  Gorman has, what, a 54 game winning streak and their first four games are as good as a college program would play.  I've been a fan of DeMatha for literally a half century but have no connection today.  I would really enjoy someone posting opinions about the transfers, the rising sr qb, their performance in 7 on 7's and so on.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Silverbullet said:

O'Doyle looks legit in 7v7/camp work. Like real legit. We'll see how that translates on the field.

GA, stayed tuned on DM.

Drop, 7v7 is great. DM is a running team. Beside that, those DM kids need something to get worried about. BG is no joke out in LV.

I know Gorman and will probably see the game in person.  For me the key to DeMatha is the qb who will take Beau's place.  With this the first game of the year there, unfortunately, is no learning curve.  Still, the same is true for the Bishop Gorman qb who will start his first game also.  This game is as much about DeMatha as it is about Mid Atlantic high school football.  Miami Central was huge for our area-this is bigger.

I'm being serious:  in 1981 a loaded DeMatha team (with Bill McGregor as an assistant) went to Cincinnati and played Gerry Faust's Moeller at the University of Cincinnati stadium (same place where they played St. X in the Herbstreit).  I saw the game in person and was floored by how good Moeller was.  34-0 Moeller and the next year Faust took over at Notre Dame. There may have been 20,000 or more people in that almost full stadium that night.  Cincinnati treated Moeller like a major college program that, like Gorman today, was the best in America.  For DeMatha this was their only loss of the year.

This game, against Bishop Gorman, is as big.  As important.

About every one third of a Century a game like this comes along.  I want to believe that DeMatha can win this time.  I won't be around 37 years from now for the next national title game.

Edited by BigDrop

On 6/17/2017 at 0:46 PM, BigDrop said:

...... I understand that DM has two noteworthy transfers but did not win the MD 7 on 7.  Any comments?  ....

No Biggy, DM didn't win the UMD 7on7.  In fact, they were knocked off before the semis that convened in the stadium.  The final four were a team from NOVA, a team from NY, an unknown team, and Wise.  Wise was defeated in overtime by the NY team who went on to defeat the NOVA team for the title.

Oh, and Northwest of Montgomery County defeated DeMatha for the Prince George's County Football Coaches Association Passing Title today at Surrattsville.

18 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

No Biggy, DM didn't win the UMD 7on7.  In fact, they were knocked off before the semis that convened in the stadium.  The final four were a team from NOVA, a team from NY, an unknown team, and Wise.  Wise was defeated in overtime by the NY team who went on to defeat the NOVA team for the title.

Oh, and Northwest of Montgomery County defeated DeMatha for the Prince George's County Football Coaches Association Passing Title today at Surrattsville.

Thanks for the update...

Posted (edited)

On 6/17/2017 at 9:57 PM, BigDrop said:

I know Gorman and will probably see the game in person.  For me the key to DeMatha is the qb who will take Beau's place.  With this the first game of the year there, unfortunately, is no learning curve.  Still, the same is true for the Bishop Gorman qb who will start his first game also.  This game is as much about DeMatha as it is about Mid Atlantic high school football.  Miami Central was huge for our area-this is bigger.

I'm being serious:  in 1981 a loaded DeMatha team (with Bill McGregor as an assistant) went to Cincinnati and played Gerry Faust's Moeller at the University of Cincinnati stadium (same place where they played St. X in the Herbstreit).  I saw the game in person and was floored by how good Moeller was.  34-0 Moeller and the next year Faust took over at Notre Dame. There may have been 20,000 or more people in that almost full stadium that night.  Cincinnati treated Moeller like a major college program that, like Gorman today, was the best in America.  For DeMatha this was their only loss of the year.

This game, against Bishop Gorman, is as big.  As important.

About every one third of a Century a game like this comes along.  I want to believe that DeMatha can win this time.  I won't be around 37 years from now for the next national title game.

Pull UP Biggy.  The DeMatha - Gorman game just does not make or break your so-called Mid-Atlantic high school foootball....  Hell, is there even such a thing as Mid-Atlantic high school football?????  Come on dude.  In DeMatha vs Gorman we will have one historically prominent team located on the east coast playing a football recruiting haven located on the west coast playing a non-conference game that will affect mythical rankings with absolutely no impact on their respective conference titles.  At best, the game will mean something to just the participants and rankings with no impact on "Mid-Atlantic high school football" nor any other team.

It's much like the over-hyped DeMatha win over Miami Central.....  It was all the world to DeMatha but others in the DMV could not have cared less as the win ( or if there was a DeMatha ) meant nothing to anyone else.

I know this is hard for you to take but you must place things in proper perspective.  Or at least sing your whacko song in DC and not here on the BMore board.  Other schools in the mid-Atlantic do NOT revolve around DeMatha....

Edited by DayWalker

7 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Interesting that DM did so poorly in  the 7 on 7's.  Any link with more information?

Thanks for sharing.

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Interesting that DM did so poorly in  the 7 on 7's.  Any link with more information?

Thanks for sharing.

Why do you feel "...DM did so poorly in the 7 on 7s..."!!!!!!  Is it because they didn't WIN either event I referenced?  I said DeMatha was eliminated at UMD just before the final four at UMD a week ago.  I also said DM was in the final of the PG County tournament yesterday at Surrattsville.  Those are significant Biggy.

DM, both teams, competed hard yesterday as they did at UMD.  They were just beaten.  I saw a list of the final 16 teams for the day-2 session at Surrattsville yesterday and DeMatha's A and Wise's A teams were the #1 and #2 seeds for the finals. Their B teams were seeded #9 and #8, respectively. Northwest was the #15 seed of 16 teams.  Northwest took out Wise A team in the first game and DeMatha B took out Wise B in the first game.  I'd say it was a rougher day yesterday for Wise who came there, warmed up, played, and were going home within the first hour.

There was an obvious highly competitive spirit in the DeMatha fold; the players, the coaches, and the fans.  There was loud applauds whenever DeMatha did anything no matter how slight.  But there was also great gnashing of teeth and beaching when something didn't go well yesterday and it was heightened in the final with DM coaches even chasing down the refs beaching about calls and no-calls after the final game was over and Northwest won.  Northwest simply and fairly beat DeMatha and I don't think DeMatha even scored in the final or just once.

But it was a good tournament Biggy and as its always suggested that May The Best Team Win, it happened  -----  #15 seed Northwest won with solid day-2 defense!

Edited by DayWalker

Posted (edited)

Would love to see a Montgomery county school play DeMatha during the regular season.  To the best of my knowledge, dating to the 1970's, there has not been a single Montgomery county school who have played DeMatha.  I saw the DeMatha/Seneca Valley scrimmage in the mid/late '90's.  Excepting that there has not been a regular season game.

For myself I have an asterisk at the side of every Maryland state champion:  they beat public schools but would not play DeMatha or any other significant private school program.  Of course I also believe Wise should step up and play a good team.  As I believe that Bob Milloy's teams at Springbrook and Sherwood should have, too.  Ironic that he took over Good Counsel and the public programs wouldn't play him there.

Credit to Franklin, Oxon Hill, Suitland, Friendly, Lake Braddock, Centreville, Garfield, Chambersburg and several other Pennsylvania public schools that have played DeMatha since 1980.  I don't believe that a single top Montgomery county school has played Gonzaga either.  Or Gilman with Biff.  

In most states in America the state champion is a true state champion:  both public and private.  Maryland, excluding the private schools, is an exception.  A real shame especially since the top Virginia programs, over the years, have stepped up and played the best private schools.  Many of these games they won:  DeMatha split with Lake Braddock and Good Counsel split with Robinson.  Westfield has scrimmaged DeMatha every year for nine or ten years.  

It's time for the top Maryland public programs to play the best in the state.  In the regular season.

Edited by BigDrop

19 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Would love to see a Montgomery county school play DeMatha during the regular season.  To the best of my knowledge, dating to the 1970's, there has not been a single Montgomery county school who have played DeMatha.  I saw the DeMatha/Seneca Valley scrimmage in the mid/late '90's.  Excepting that there has not been a regular season game.

For myself I have an asterisk at the side of every Maryland state champion:  they beat public schools but would not play DeMatha or any other significant private school program.  Of course I also believe Wise should step up and play a good team.  As I believe that Bob Milloy's teams at Springbrook and Sherwood should have, too.  Ironic that he took over Good Counsel and the public programs wouldn't play him there.

Credit to Franklin, Oxon Hill, Suitland, Friendly, Lake Braddock, Centreville, Garfield, Chambersburg and several other Pennsylvania public schools that have played DeMatha since 1980.  I don't believe that a single top Montgomery county school has played Gonzaga either.  Or Gilman with Biff.  

In most states in America the state champion is a true state champion:  both public and private.  Maryland, excluding the private schools, is an exception.  A real shame especially since the top Virginia programs, over the years, have stepped up and played the best private schools.  Many of these games they won:  DeMatha split with Lake Braddock and Good Counsel split with Robinson.  Westfield has scrimmaged DeMatha every year for nine or ten years.  

It's time for the top Maryland public programs to play the best in the state.  In the regular season.

Assuming a MoCo school wanted to play a top private and vice versa, you are acting like its an easy game to schedule.  MoCo schools typically have 1-3 open dates.  Those dates normally dont match up with the top Privates as they are playing some out of state game on TV or something.  Even if the dates did match up, is it really better than scheduling an in county opponent? Is DeMatha vs Damascus going to out draw Damascus vs Sherwood? Is it worth risking losing out on bonus points for the playoffs? Its easy to say Team X should play Team Z, but there are many things AD's & Coaches have to consider besides "this team is good, lets schedule them"

Recently MCPS has eased up a bit and let more schools schedule out of county games.  MoCo is playing teams in Frederick, WCAC & IAC this year.  Relax & enjoy what you have. 

DeMatha vs. Damascus would outdraw anyone Damascus could play.  When DeMatha played Lake Braddock in the '90's (top VA program at the time-I believe the head coach is now the AD at Westfield) there were almost 10,000 people in the sold out stadium (20 rows back of endzone to back of endzone with three deep standing behind the endzones).  The second year had a similar sized crowd.  DeMatha played Centreville in a similar sized stadium and filled it both years.  Garfield in 1989 won the VA state championship.  Their stadium held 8,500 people and sold out for the first game with DeMatha.  Robinson and Good Counsel had a huge crowd in VA.  Same with Gonzaga and Centreville.

I'm guessing there were 1,500+ at the Seneca Valley scrimmage with DeMatha.  Maybe more.  Chambersburg was preseason #1 in PA 4A the year they played DM.  Their stadium was reported to have more than 7,000 for the game which DM won.

When DeMatha (or a strong WCAC team like Gonzaga and Good Counsel in their best years) play a top public program it is a huge event. Real problem is that Damascus has a small stadium.

On 6/17/2017 at 8:54 PM, Silverbullet said:

GA, stayed tuned on DM.

DeMatha seems to have picked up an outstanding student athlete who will be a rising freshman qb and have a huge future ahead of him.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Same old same BS DeMatha yada yada of what MD public school games you DMers would like to take place Biggy.  But your history so clearly dictates your DM issue in failing to establish a relationship in doing so in MD yet you offer credit to Oxon Hill, Suitland, Friendly, and Franklin in doing so.  You say this has happened since 1980 but tell us exactly when each time DeMatha has played a MD public school since 1980 and when and then we can talk about offering credit and to whom....

FOR MYSELF, you can place your asterisk about The Maryland PUBLIC Secondary Schools Champions right back up your @ssterisk as the WACK 7 - 8 team league, depending on who drops in and out any given year from MD, DC, and NOVA, does NOT represent MD and can't be a state champion, and you only can secure tee-shirts to falsely say so as DM did I think it was in 2014 when you were not even ranked the best in Maryland, the standard you go by.

I'm sure you wish Wise would step up to play mercenary DM merely because it's the current hot public school as you wished it were Northwest the seasons it were the hot public team or when Friendly was hot.  Fort Hill is a three-time Maryland PUBLIC Secondary Public School Champion but you aren't calling out to play The 1A Sentinels, why Biggy????  You just wish to glean any "lustre" from who you think the best public is because you privates want it all but in here it's easy to ask for things that just can't be after the fact while you have solid decades upon decades upon decades history of not playing publics so I suspect the publics just tell DM to puck off as The DayWalker tells you all...

Must we go over again what's done in most states in America!!!!!!!  Hell, DM is going to play a like mercenary school of reclass players in Gorman who bring in athletes from surrounding states out west I understand even big time Texas teams refuse to play.  I hear some Nevada legislatures or associations want Gorman out of the state championships.

Ya think it's time for the top Maryland public teams to play the best in the state in the regular season.....  I gather you think "...the best in the state..." are your private teams.  You been consulting with The DC Sniper on this????  Year to year to year it's relatively easy to name the best private teams, all three or four of you.  In the public world, we don't know the best until mid-December after 14 games when you privates are done weeks before with your 6 - 7 league games.  Anyone up for a Maryland private playoff system and Maryland PRIVATE Secondary School Championship.... 

Biggy, The DayWalker wanted a nice quiet off-season but you done got my vamp blood boiling at 75-degrees Fahrenheit.....  :mad:

QUEUE My Theme:

Edited by DayWalker

10 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Same old same BS DeMatha yada yada of what MD public school games you DMers would like to take place Biggy.  But your history so clearly dictates your DM issue in failing to establish a relationship in doing so in MD yet you offer credit to Oxon Hill, Suitland, Friendly, and Franklin in doing so.  You say this has happened since 1980 by tell us exactly when each time DeMatha has played a MD public school since 1980 and when and then we can talk about offering credit and to whom....

FOR MYSELF, you can place your asterisk about The Maryland PUBLIC Secondary Schools Champions right back up your @ssterisk as the WACK 7 - 8 team league, depending on who drops in and out any given year from MD, DC, and NOVA, does NOT represent MD and can't be a state champion, and you only can secure tee-shirts to falsely say so as DM did I think it was in 2014 when you were not even ranked the best in Maryland, the standard you go by.

I'm sure you wish Wise would step up to play mercenary DM merely because it's the current hot public school as you wished it were Northwest the seasons it were the hot public team or when Friendly was hot.  Fort Hill is a three-time Maryland PUBLIC Secondary Public School Champion but you aren't calling out to play The 1A Sentinels, why Biggy????  You just wish to glean any "lustre" from who you think the best public is because you privates want it all but in here it's easy to ask for things that just can't be after the fact while you have solid decades upon decades upon decades history of not playing publics so I suspect the publics just tell DM to puck off as The DayWalker tells you all...

Must we go over again what's done in most states in America!!!!!!!  Hell, DM is going to play a like mercenary school of reclass players in Gorman who bring in athletes from surrounding states out west I understand even big time Texas teams refuse to play.  I hear some Nevada legislatures or associations want Gorman out of the state championships.

Ya think it's time for the top Maryland public teams to play the best in the state in the regular season.....  I gather you think "...the best in the state..." are your private teams.  You been consulting with The DC Sniper on this????  Year to year to year it's relatively easy to name the best private teams, all three or four of you.  In the public world, we don't know the best until mid-December after 14 games when you privates are done weeks before with your 6 - 7 league games.  Anyone up for a Maryland private playoff system and Maryland PRIVATE Secondary School Championship.... 

Biggy, The DayWalker wanted a nice quiet off-season but you done got my vamp blood boiling at 75-degrees Fahrenheit.....  :mad:

QUEUE My Theme:

Board has been far too quiet...

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, BigDrop said:

DeMatha vs. Damascus would outdraw anyone Damascus could play.  When DeMatha played Lake Braddock in the '90's (top VA program at the time-I believe the head coach is now the AD at Westfield) there were almost 10,000 people in the sold out stadium (20 rows back of endzone to back of endzone with three deep standing behind the endzones).  The second year had a similar sized crowd.  DeMatha played Centreville in a similar sized stadium and filled it both years.  Garfield in 1989 won the VA state championship.  Their stadium held 8,500 people and sold out for the first game with DeMatha.  Robinson and Good Counsel had a huge crowd in VA.  Same with Gonzaga and Centreville.

I'm guessing there were 1,500+ at the Seneca Valley scrimmage with DeMatha.  Maybe more.  Chambersburg was preseason #1 in PA 4A the year they played DM.  Their stadium was reported to have more than 7,000 for the game which DM won.

When DeMatha (or a strong WCAC team like Gonzaga and Good Counsel in their best years) play a top public program it is a huge event. Real problem is that Damascus has a small stadium.

Not Damascus vs Fort Hill at the famous Greenway Avenue Stadium..... 

Dude, we have gone over your over estimated crowd size at so-called big DeMatha - Gonzaga games.  Your lot talked about the capacity 5,000 at the PG Sports and Learning Center when Gonzaga beat your Stag rump a couple years ago.  It's was like Trump's inauguration crowd with a quarter of the sports center seats at the far end sparsely occupied and clearly seen on video.  You were NOT at capacity like you all lie about....  Why do you do this Trump!!!!!

Edited by DayWalker

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

DeMatha seems to have picked up an outstanding student athlete who will be a rising freshman qb and have a huge future ahead of him.

Reclassed????  ;)

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Pimpin your DM beaches won't cure your itch in BMore.....

Speakin of beaching, you should have seen your DM coaches chasing down the refs as they were leaving the field after #15 seed Northwest beat #2 seed DeMatha yesterday in the 16-team final of the PG passing tournament.  Hell, even The DayWalker was embarrassed for DeMatha.  I even heard one DM coach shout "...It Always Happen That The Refs Line Up Against Us In The Championship Game Here...."

Come on DeMatha, Come on....  Learn to win without bragging and lose without crying.  I really appreciated how Northwest won with defense on the offense minded passing tournament.  Northwest was NOT intimidated by DeMatha's players on the field nor fans in the stands.  I really think Northwest shutout DeMatha from scoring or DM scored just once.

Edited by DayWalker

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, nomad974 said:

Assuming a MoCo school wanted to play a top private and vice versa, you are acting like its an easy game to schedule.  MoCo schools typically have 1-3 open dates.  Those dates normally dont match up with the top Privates as they are playing some out of state game on TV or something.  Even if the dates did match up, is it really better than scheduling an in county opponent? Is DeMatha vs Damascus going to out draw Damascus vs Sherwood? Is it worth risking losing out on bonus points for the playoffs? Its easy to say Team X should play Team Z, but there are many things AD's & Coaches have to consider besides "this team is good, lets schedule them"

Recently MCPS has eased up a bit and let more schools schedule out of county games.  MoCo is playing teams in Frederick, WCAC & IAC this year.  Relax & enjoy what you have. 

How many teams are in MoCo?

How many teams are in the WCAC?

So if the WCAC teams played all of each other, how many other games could they play in a 10-season schedule?

How many YEARS would it take for a MoCo team to play all teams in just MoCo?

Edited by DayWalker

6 hours ago, BigDrop said:

That's because HS sports are on summer hiatus.  The Board has been this way for the last ten years.  It'll pick up in August.

9 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Have you ever been to a big matchup at Damascus?  The Dmass stands have a capacity of 4000. For big games, most of the track is opened up. Not unusual for a Dmass QO matchup to have 6-7000. Much larger than the crowds that I have witnessed at the PG complex. Come on out to the Dmass Sherwood game I'll buy you one of the best cheeseburgers you'll ever get at a high school game. 

4 hours ago, Oldtime said:

Have you ever been to a big matchup at Damascus?  The Dmass stands have a capacity of 4000. For big games, most of the track is opened up. Not unusual for a Dmass QO matchup to have 6-7000. Much larger than the crowds that I have witnessed at the PG complex. Come on out to the Dmass Sherwood game I'll buy you one of the best cheeseburgers you'll ever get at a high school game. 

School the Stag, school 'em Oldtime 'bout Damass but Hereford may have the best burgers you'll ever get at a high school game.....No Bull.  :D

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, BigDrop said:

DeMatha vs. Damascus would outdraw anyone Damascus could play.    

Absolutely false.  Damascus would bring their usual large crowd.  DeMatha diehards would show up. Us High School football nerds would show up.  And thats about it.

No chance regular fans from PG will make the trip to Damascus on a Friday night. Regular Fans in MoCo definitely wont show, given there would be more intriguing games to them going on. Best case scenario would be around 4K.  Thats 1-2k short of a Damascus vs Quince Orchard/Northwest/Sherwood matchup.

Im willing to bet Bullis at Quince Orchard this year and Good Counsel at Northwest next year, will not be their biggest gates of the season.

I think you are drastically underestimating the allure of local rivalries

Edited by nomad974

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, nomad974 said:

Im willing to bet Bullis at Quince Orchard this year and Good Counsel at Northwest next year, will not be their biggest gates of the season.

I think you are drastically underestimating the allure of local rivalries

Neither of those private vs public games would come close to the intensity of Quince Orchard - Northwest weeks before the playoffs like will happen this coming season.  I recall a packed house a couple years ago when Quince Orchard beat the snot out of state champion Northwest at NW only for QO to get whacked in the return game during the playoffs when I believe Northwest went on to win its back-to-back state title.  I can still hear the shouts of "Marky Marky Marky" by QO as they taunted the NW QB Mark Pierce in spanking NW that regular season game.

It's a standing room only war when Northwest and Quince Orchard meet that just would NOT be the same with Bullis, Good Counsel, nor DeMatha.....  There is nothing like neighborhood battles / rivalries!!!!

Edited by DayWalker

22 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Reclassed????  ;)

I understand there are two significant rising freshman qb.

15 hours ago, Oldtime said:

G Complex has 20 rows of stands on one side of the field, about 250 yards long probably holding 6,000+.  Several VA schools have much larger stadiums including Westfield, Lake Braddock, South Lakes, Robinson, Woodson, Centreville, George Marshall and others.  There have been large turnouts at the Naval Academy stadium also.