Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmore_ken

Romo Headed To The Booth

21 posts in this topic

Tony Romo is reportedly ready to leave football and step into Phil Simms' spot in the CBS broadcast booth.

The veteran quarterback, who was released Tuesday by his longtime Cowboys, is pursuing free agency away from the gridiron as a TV analyst. After ESPN first reported the story, sources told SportsBusiness Journal that Romo has reached a verbal agreement with CBS and is expected to replace Simms as Jim Nantz's new in-game partner.

The network is planning to announce Romo's hiring Tuesday, according to ESPN. Romo, who never made it to the Super Bowl during his 13-year NFL career, is now in line to work as the color commentator for Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta in 2019.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/tony-romo-cut-cowboys-enter-broadcast-booth-article-1.3018451

Guess he'll finally make it to the Super Bowl. Smart move in my opinion. Has enough money to last the rest of his life and will make more without putting his body on the line.

Posted (edited)

Tony Romo is reportedly ready to leave football and step into Phil Simms' spot in the CBS broadcast booth.

The veteran quarterback, who was released Tuesday by his longtime Cowboys, is pursuing free agency away from the gridiron as a TV analyst. After ESPN first reported the story, sources told SportsBusiness Journal that Romo has reached a verbal agreement with CBS and is expected to replace Simms as Jim Nantz's new in-game partner.

The network is planning to announce Romo's hiring Tuesday, according to ESPN. Romo, who never made it to the Super Bowl during his 13-year NFL career, is now in line to work as the color commentator for Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta in 2019.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/tony-romo-cut-cowboys-enter-broadcast-booth-article-1.3018451

Guess he'll finally make it to the Super Bowl. Smart move in my opinion. Has enough money to last the rest of his life and will make more without putting his body on the line.

When making the announcement immediately after the signing Romo tripped over the podium; ESPN announced that it is hoped he will return to action sometime in late December.

Edited by ncbirdfan

is expected to replace Simms

Romo is a hero to football fans nationwide.

Romo is a hero to football fans nationwide.

Haha. Now also get rid of Dan Fouts and my sunday experiences will be that much better this year!

And fans in Houston are pissed right now. That have no QB.

And the price tag on Jimmy Garoppolo just went to multiple picks, including a first rounder.

And the price tag on Jimmy Garoppolo just went to multiple picks, including a first rounder.

I don't get why teams are hot for Jimmy G.  Does anyone even know if he's really any good?

When making the announcement immediately after the signing Romo tripped over the podium; ESPN announced that it is hoped he will return to action sometime in late December.

Now that was cold. Funny, but cold.   :lol:

No doubt. I wonder if Belichick had something to do with getting Romo the ESPN offer.

I don't get why teams are hot for Jimmy G.  Does anyone even know if he's really any good?

No. But that won't stop teams from trying. Nobody knew if Osweiller was any good, but Houston was desperate then, and desperate now. Somebody will bite.

The real loser is Denver. I think they envisioned stealing Romo for a year in the hope that Paxton Lynch might learn for a year and be ready by his third year.

O'Brien got burned on Ryan Mallet from the Pats so he might think twice about Jimmy G. IMO I'll call the Deadskins and offer a 1 and 2 for Cousins. 

I was never a huge Phil Simms fan, but what has Romo done to warrant getting the #1 spot with Nantz? A DirecTV commercial? Seems like CBS took a huge dump on Simms' head in public.

I wish no ill will on Romo, but I hope this bites CBS in the glutes.

Apparently coming in and doing ok on a really good team while opposing defenses have no real film means you'll be a franchise QB on another team.

Apparently coming in and doing ok on a really good team while opposing defenses have no real film means you'll be a franchise QB on another team.

Could he be any worse than Bortles, Osweiler , or Fitzpatrick?

Unless the Patriots are overwhelmed by an offer, which wouldn't be a surprise since teams always seem to fall over themselves to give the Patriots 1st rounders, I think they keep JG. With Brady getting older, even though he's a freaking cyborg, they may want a decent back-up in case he gets sidelined. That scenario is extremely unlikely, but the difference between JG and Jacoby Brisset is pretty big.

Smart move. Romo was perpetually underappreciated. I wish him well.

Unless the Patriots are overwhelmed by an offer, which wouldn't be a surprise since teams always seem to fall over themselves to give the Patriots 1st rounders, I think they keep JG. With Brady getting older, even though he's a freaking cyborg, they may want a decent back-up in case he gets sidelined. That scenario is extremely unlikely, but the difference between JG and Jacoby Brisset is pretty big.

Garoppolo is a free agent after next season, so I'm sure the thinking in New England is to get something for him before he walks. 

He played well in two games this season. A very small population indeed...but larger than someone coming out of school. Good arm, smart and two years playing under Belichek. Depends on how desperate the trading team is, but as is stated above, he's a free agent at the end of the season, so you have to get value when you can.

Could he be any worse than Bortles, Osweiler , or Fitzpatrick?

Bortles and Fitz had their moments.  It would be hard to top Osweiler if you factor in what he was paid.

I was never a huge Phil Simms fan, but what has Romo done to warrant getting the #1 spot with Nantz? A DirecTV commercial? Seems like CBS took a huge dump on Simms' head in public.

I wish no ill will on Romo, but I hope this bites CBS in the glutes.

Yeah, this is really bizarre.  I actually like Simms, he's a pretty good guy with a lot of knowledge.  He must have done something(I'm guessing money related) to upset CBS.

Yeah, this is really bizarre.  I actually like Simms, he's a pretty good guy with a lot of knowledge.  He must have done something(I'm guessing money related) to upset CBS.

:o