Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ncbirdfan

Jernigan Traded to the Eagles

29 posts in this topic

Ravens Trade DT Timmy Jernigan To Eagles

Adam Schefter is reporting that the Ravens have agreed to trade DT Timmy Jernigan to the Eagles.

Jernigan, 24, is a former second-round pick of the Ravens back in 2014. He’s currently entering the final year of his four-year, $4.382 million contract that included $2.126 million guaranteed and is set to make a base salary of $1,017,669 for the 2017 season.

Ravens Trade DT Timmy Jernigan To Eagles

Adam Schefter is reporting that the Ravens have agreed to trade DT Timmy Jernigan to the Eagles.

Jernigan, 24, is a former second-round pick of the Ravens back in 2014. He’s currently entering the final year of his four-year, $4.382 million contract that included $2.126 million guaranteed and is set to make a base salary of $1,017,669 for the 2017 season.

For draft picks?  Might work out well, he seemed to lose interest second half of the season.

For draft picks?  Might work out well, he seemed to lose interest second half of the season.

I don't have all the details but I think they are just moving up a few picks in the third round.

I don't have all the details but I think they are just moving up a few picks in the third round.

Really? That's it??

Really? That's it??

They gave up their 99th and Jernigan for the 74th; so they moved up about 25 spots.

Edited by ncbirdfan

They gave up their 99th and Jernigan for the 74th; so they moved up about 25 spots.

I guess that's better than nothing. I'm assuming very little cap space saved??

I'm not sure this is a good move- giving up a solid player in his prime to move up 25 spots in the draft. If Jernigan had a good year he would've comped us a 3rd next year. So we would've gotten a comp pick and a solid year of service for pretty cheap based on his trajectory/past stats.

Can anybody see what Oz was trying to do here? Maybe he really believes in Pierce and Judon and wanted to get something in return? Or are they angling to move up in the draft for someone in particular?

I'm not sure this is a good move- giving up a solid player in his prime to move up 25 spots in the draft. If Jernigan had a good year he would've comped us a 3rd next year. So we would've gotten a comp pick and a solid year of service for pretty cheap based on his trajectory/past stats.

Can anybody see what Oz was trying to do here? Maybe he really believes in Pierce and Judon and wanted to get something in return? Or are they angling to move up in the draft for someone in particular?

Maybe a combination of both, but I also think he seemed to be developing a half hearted attitude about playing in Balt., so maybe they figured he wouldn't be all that much of a contributor in 2017, especially in the locker room. I think they may have factored that in to their decision.

Edited by mikemor1

You guys above might be right. Something must've happened between him and the coaches. You don't trade a playmaker on a team where you desperately need that kind of production/talent to move up 25 spots in what is nothing but a crap shoot. Who knows how the 3rd rounder will pan out - but you know you have solid talent on the team already in Jernigan. We had him for 1 mil in a contract year. I don't see how this makes sense unless they soured on him for whatever reason.

Belichick did this with Chandler Jones but that wasn't the same thing. That was a strong team that went on to vindicate his moving a playmaker away and getting something in return. But this move just feels empty...

I don't get this move at all. Moving 25 spots in the 3rd round at this point can't mean you are targeting anyone. Maybe on draft day, but at this point nobody knows what will be there after the first few picks. The Ravens were tied for 24th last year in number of sacks at 31. For some perspective, Arizona led the league with 48, 17 more. Pittsburgh, which like the Ravens needs more pressure on the QB, had 38. A few teams ahead of the Ravens, San Francisco, Jacksonville, San Diego, Indianapolis, and Tennessee. Not exactly teams you think of with great defenses. This move does not make this team better. I had read where he was disappointed in his role with the Ravens, he wanted to play more. But his salary was only 1 mil, and with the loss of Lawrence Guy it makes two starting DL gone from last year. It seems to be acknowledged that the interior is the Ravens biggest strength on the defense, but these losses also hit the depth, something that has been an overall problem for the Ravens the last few years. I can only assume it was something between the FO, coaches and player, but I don't see this as an improvement.

I liked Jernigan, and IMO one of their better draft picks recently.  And they throw him away.  They can't afford to lose guys like him.

I don't get this move at all. Moving 25 spots in the 3rd round at this point can't mean you are targeting anyone. Maybe on draft day, but at this point nobody knows what will be there after the first few picks. The Ravens were tied for 24th last year in number of sacks at 31. For some perspective, Arizona led the league with 48, 17 more. Pittsburgh, which like the Ravens needs more pressure on the QB, had 38. A few teams ahead of the Ravens, San Francisco, Jacksonville, San Diego, Indianapolis, and Tennessee. Not exactly teams you think of with great defenses. This move does not make this team better. I had read where he was disappointed in his role with the Ravens, he wanted to play more. But his salary was only 1 mil, and with the loss of Lawrence Guy it makes two starting DL gone from last year. It seems to be acknowledged that the interior is the Ravens biggest strength on the defense, but these losses also hit the depth, something that has been an overall problem for the Ravens the last few years. I can only assume it was something between the FO, coaches and player, but I don't see this as an improvement.

Seems like Oz is gambling and might be playing the long game and trying whatever he can to build this team for 2018 rather than 2017. If fans think we are going back to the promise land this upcoming season they're going to be in for a huge disappointment imo. We definitely got worse today by losing Jernigan. Will it pay off - it will all depend on Oz and our scouting dept.

Not Really.....Ravens are loaded at DT....There still Henry and Davis

Neither of those guys have proven anything except they couldn't see the field their rookie yrs. Henry & Davis can't step right in and fill in the production of Guy and Jernigan imo. Both are coming off IR, are essentially rookies and have minimal to no in game NFL experience.

Jernigan had seven tackles and one sack over the last eight games of the season. That's easily replaced.

Despite his inconsistencies, Jernigan was likely to be in line for a handsome pay raise after next season and the Ravens likely weren't going to be in a position to pay it, particularly not after they broke out the checkbook to retain Brandon Williams. A very Belichick-like move by the Ravens to get something for a guy they ultimately weren't going to retain.

On the plus side, the Ravens just reduced their stupid penalties for the season by 3 - 5

He did seem to commit one at just the right time .......

I'm no expert, but it seems like a stupid trade. Giving up a high-quality, low-cost player in order to move up a bit in the 3rd round doesn't make sense to me.

I'm no expert, but it seems like a stupid trade. Giving up a high-quality, low-cost player in order to move up a bit in the 3rd round doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah I'm still scratching my head on this one. 5 sacks and a pick. While that's not J.J Watt territory, it's unlikely that whoever they take with the pick will give them that. Unless as someone else said, Oz is looking at 2018.

Yeah I'm still scratching my head on this one. 5 sacks and a pick. While that's not J.J Watt territory, it's unlikely that whoever they take with the pick will give them that. Unless as someone else said, Oz is looking at 2018.

I'm with both of you with the scratching my head part. Maybe Newsome has confidence in his current internal options or maybe Jernigan has attitude problems or something else that the public is not privy to.

On 105.7 this morning, Vinny said he received "news" from someone inside the Ravens that Jernigan was all about Jernigan and not the team. If so, surgically removing cancer is better than letting it spread.