Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eaglesinsider

2017 McDonogh Football Schedule

123 posts in this topic

I am not sure about that.  I just took a look at both their hudl highlights and they didn't look like bonafide D-1/D-1AA players.  At their size they must be blazing fast, and unfortunately they are not.  But both are going to situations that fit them well.  Just hope they take good advantage of it.

Pretty sure Watson is blazing fast and then some.  Not sure what you are looking at

Pretty sure Watson is blazing fast and then some.  Not sure what you are looking at

I was responding to Araiderfan post regarding McGriff and Randolph.

The point is to use football as a tool to get to college and graduate. No matter the level it's a great accomplishment for the young black men. Geez

GA, Calvert hall going to be pretty good next season?

The point is to use football as a tool to get to college and graduate. No matter the level it's a great accomplishment for the young black men. Geez

100% in agreement with you Forty!

GA, Calvert hall going to be pretty good next season?

Nope. Will miss Watson big time and still no QB.

Who's speaking down on the kids? This is about McD and what they've accomplished with their program and sending kids to the next level. My question to you is, do you think when McGriff transferred to McD hat he was thinking he was going there to end up at a D2 school?

There's no question he would have had D-1 offers had he stayed at CHC. Donald is very good at getting kids into schools.

Grey how is this? You act like College coaches weren't going to Mcd to recruit.

They obviously were with them having other guys with offers.

He obviously just wasn't good enough in the eyes of talent evaluators.

He honestly didn't pop off the screen as a high level college athlete so I'm not to surprised.

He most def had the exposure

I agree DAVIS gets the job done in that area . I don't think McGriff would be going to Clarion

Grey how is this? You act like College coaches weren't going to Mcd to recruit.

They obviously were with them having other guys with offers.

He obviously just wasn't good enough in the eyes of talent evaluators.

He honestly didn't pop off the screen as a high level college athlete so I'm not to surprised.

He most def had the exposure

I'm not even going to respond to this.

I'm not even going to respond to this.

thats the best response

thats the best response

No, you clearly have no clue what the hell you're talking about. So, pointless to talk to a fool.

Looked like he made a good choice, played for a winner and got a scholarship out of it.

Who's speaking down on the kids? This is about McD and what they've accomplished with their program and sending kids to the next level. My question to you is, do you think when McGriff transferred to McD hat he was thinking he was going there to end up at a D2 school?

Ivies are D1. Watson had over 10 FCS offers, a couple FBS ones. McGriff should've signed FCS ball.

D2 is a good fit for McG's skill-set with a better opportunity to play and much sooner than a D1 ego trip to quickly crash as a red-shirt then bench cheerleader for years....  Play and enjoy college McD!!!

a better opportunity to play and much sooner than a D1 ego trip to quickly crash as a red-shirt then bench cheerleader for years....  Play and enjoy college

I wish more kids and "parents" would listen to this. I have advised many players and parents over the years and some can't get past the ego trip. Especially the first time parents when the recruiting letters start coming in.

D2 is a good fit for McG's skill-set with a better opportunity to play and much sooner than a D1 ego trip to quickly crash as a red-shirt then bench cheerleader for years....  Play and enjoy college McD!!!

I wish more kids and "parents" would listen to this. I have advised many players and parents over the years and some can't get past the ego trip. Especially the first time parents when the recruiting letters start coming in.

Clarion's roster currently shows only 4 RBs to include 2 rising seniors.  It also looks like Clarion only signed one other RB during the recruiting period.  So "McG" is in a pretty good situation.  He has an opportunity to get on the field.  I am sure he welcomes that.

Fylde5 - Parents just want to be able to state their kids are playing at the top level...instead of thinking about the best fit for their kids.  I agree with your advice to players and parents.

Clarion's roster currently shows only 4 RBs to include 2 rising seniors.  It also looks like Clarion only signed one other RB during the recruiting period.  So "McG" is in a pretty good situation.  He has an opportunity to get on the field.  I am sure he welcomes that.

Fylde5 - Parents just want to be able to state their kids are playing at the top level...instead of thinking about the best fit for their kids.  I agree with your advice to players and parents.

Again, this had nothing to do with the kid and his decision. This is about the OPPORTUNITIES that he and the other McD players are given. If you ask me, unless you're a Cyrus Jones, Stefan Diggs type of talent, I would want my kid to go the Ivy route over any FBS school, no matter what his offers were. So you are missing my whole point. Life is about choices, and it's always better when you have multiple choices. McGriff is going to Clarion because it was basically one of his only choices, if he wanted to go to school now and continue to play football. My point is, he would have had other CHOICES if he had stayed at CHC.

Again, this had nothing to do with the kid and his decision. This is about the OPPORTUNITIES that he and the other McD players are given. If you ask me, unless you're a Cyrus Jones, Stefan Diggs type of talent, I would want my kid to go the Ivy route over any FBS school, no matter what his offers were. So you are missing my whole point. Life is about choices, and it's always better when you have multiple choices. McGriff is going to Clarion because it was basically one of his only choices, if he wanted to go to school now and continue to play football. My point is, he would have had other CHOICES if he had stayed at CHC.

GA,

I get your point, and have no problems with it.  In fact I agree with most of what you stated.  But if he and his parents sat back and solely depended on McD to do 100% of his recruiting, then shame on them.  While I'm pretty sure it's implied that the coaches at the private school level should get their athletes recruited its ultimately the responsibility of the athlete and parents when it comes to the recruiting.

If Clarion was his only interest as a 3-year starter at McD then someone dropped the ball here OR there's something we all don't know about.  But still, one chance is better than no chance.

Private or Public......at the end of the day, the only person responsible for your recruitment is YOU! Email, twitter, phone, camps, unofficial visits.......there are just too many ways today to get your name and film in front of College Coaches. If a player doesn't like his situation, he has to look back, reflect and ask himself " what did I do or didn't do to get myself recruited?". Being "That Guy" is only good enough for maybe the top 1% out there.....everyone else needs to work at the recruitment part.

Posted (edited)

Running back is an incredibly hard position for offers.  There is only one on the field and no one uses two backs anymore.  If a kid does not project into a slot, then the are even fewer opportunities. Most high schools have a very good running back, so they are almost a dime a dozen when it comes to recruiting unless they project well at other positions.  How many true running backs has this area had that had big time committable offers?  Of those, how many went on to actually become a regular starter at running back at one of those big time schools?  You can probably count them on one hand over the past 5-10 years.  There are 4 receivers/DB's/Linebackers on the field at any one time.  There are 4-5 linemen.  As a result, those positions are 4-5 more likely to get recruited than a RB or QB.  FBS scholarships are already very hard to get, but playing RB or QB makes it that much tougher.  I think the GC RB from last year was the best one that I have seen in many years from this area.  His best commitable offer was Western Michigan.  He lucked out because that staff got the Minnesota job and they picked him up very late in the process.  

Edited by aacountyfootball

Plenty of great FBS schools with high academics. It's always about fit. Everyone doesn't fit everywhere. Sometimes an Ivy is a bad fit for a kid.

Running back is an incredibly hard position for offers. There is only one on the field and no one uses two backs anymore. If a kid does not project into a slot, then the are even fewer opportunities. Most high schools have a very good running back, so they are almost a dime a dozen when it comes to recruiting unless they project well at other positions. How many true running backs has this area had that had big time committable offers? Of those, how many went on to actually become a regular starter at running back at one of those big time schools? You can probably count them on one hand over the past 5-10 years. There are 4 receivers/DB's/Linebackers on the field at any one time. There are 4-5 linemen. As a result, those positions are 4-5 more likely to get recruited than a RB or QB. FBS scholarships are already very hard to get, but playing RB or QB makes it that much tougher. I think the GC RB from last year was the best one that I have seen in many years from this area. His best commitable offer was Western Michigan. He lucked out because that staff got the Minnesota job and they picked him up very late in the process.

Exactly. If you only project at one position, narrows your choices. If a coach can't move you to another position, if need be...it's tough.

Posted (edited)

Private or Public......at the end of the day, the only person responsible for your recruitment is YOU! Email, twitter, phone, camps, unofficial visits.......there are just too many ways today to get your name and film in front of College Coaches. If a player doesn't like his situation, he has to look back, reflect and ask himself " what did I do or didn't do to get myself recruited?". Being "That Guy" is only good enough for maybe the top 1% out there.....everyone else needs to work at the recruitment part.

Man, I couldn't have said that any better!  MAYBE DayWalker could  :P :P :P , but I couldn't said that any better! 

But I have heard some athletes being viewed as "selfish" when trying to get themselves recruited.

Edited by ShoNuff07