Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eaglesinsider

2017 McDonogh Football Schedule

123 posts in this topic

Plenty of great FBS schools with high academics. It's always about fit. Everyone doesn't fit everywhere. Sometimes an Ivy is a bad fit for a kid.

I was just using the Ivies as an option and my preference, unless you're a "special" talent. It's always about fit. Also, financial situations have to be considered for most kids. If the Ivies aren't giving you a good package, maybe that's not option.

Running back is an incredibly hard position for offers.  There is only one on the field and no one uses two backs anymore.  If a kid does not project into a slot, then the are even fewer opportunities. Most high schools have a very good running back, so they are almost a dime a dozen when it comes to recruiting unless they project well at other positions.  How many true running backs has this area had that had big time committable offers?  Of those, how many went on to actually become a regular starter at running back at one of those big time schools?  You can probably count them on one hand over the past 5-10 years.  There are 4 receivers/DB's/Linebackers on the field at any one time.  There are 4-5 linemen.  As a result, those positions are 4-5 more likely to get recruited than a RB or QB.  FBS scholarships are already very hard to get, but playing RB or QB makes it that much tougher.  I think the GC RB from last year was the best one that I have seen in many years from this area.  His best commitable offer was Western Michigan.  He lucked out because that staff got the Minnesota job and they picked him up very late in the process.   

UMD should have given this kid a preferred walk-on opportunity along with many others!

UMD should have given this kid a preferred walk-on opportunity along with many others!

Are you referring to the GC RB Mohamed Ibrahim

I hope not, Ibrahim should laugh at UMD if they offered him a walk-on spot.

I hope not, Ibrahim should laugh at UMD if they offered him a walk-on spot.

Referring to the RB kid from MCD along with many others that we rave about. If UMD wants to win they have to build a great walk on program and fill it with kids form here that slip to the lower level. Theyre never going to out recruit any of the B10 power programs so they have to win with depth and coaching. Im willing to bet that a lot of kids that are going to smaller programs would have jumped at the opportunity to be a Terp even if it means being a preferred walk on instead of going to _______________! I keep hearing that its different up UMD but many of our best are going elsewhere to include FBS/D2/D3. Yes its a parents decision but I would love to see UMD give this kid along with many others that opportunity, and let them earn a scholarship.

Shonuff,

If others think that is selfish, then selfish, in my mind, is what you need to be. Everybody is fighting for the same scholarship opportunities. 3200 +/- get that FBS opportunity every year...maybe another 1000 get a chance to be a PWO or recruited walk on....how many hundreds of thousands think they deserve that opportunity each year? Other than that top1%, you have to out work everyone in the recruiting game as well as the classroom and the field. I tell players to fight for every opportunity that you can because in my mind I would think the guy lining up next to me and the guy lining up across from me are doing the same thing and if they aren't, shame on them. That would be the attitude I would have in todays world because I wouldn't want to look back 20 years with regrets about what could have been.

Posted (edited)

I started thinking about my post and I cannot come up with very many running backs from Maryland in the last 10 years that were regular starters at a power 5 school. Most of the ones that I'm thinking of started for maybe a year and then eventually transferred.  Can you guys name any?   Maryland has had some great running backs, but it just shows how tough it is at that position. 

Edited by aacountyfootball

Tomslick,

Coach Durkin definitely believes in creating a strong preferred walk on program. He has repeatedly said that is one of the biggest differences  between the top teams and teams wanting to be top teams is the strength of the preferred walk on program.....because as you have mentioned, that is where you are going to build quality depth. For in state guys, I would think the instate guys who are thinking about FCS or D2 possibilities would strongly consider it......with your FAFSA and other possible grants or "scholarships", tuition would be very minimal. The NCAA allows the recruited or preferred walk on to be fed, so the meal plan would be nothing or next to nothing. The biggest expense for an instate guy would be the accommodations.

And if it doesn't work out there is no penalty for transferring down to a lower division.....but I think most players and or parents pride can be a bit big to accept paying something for college....but some of the best players in the NFL have gone that route....

Your right, the pickings are slim....Running backs I can think of

Ben Tate @ Auburn

Lamont Jordan @ UMD...but that may be a little more than a decade or so

Marcus Mason started at ILL but ended up doing well at Youngstown State

Tavon Austin and Michael Campanero....great HS backs that played WR in College

I think Harrison, Johnson, Funk and even McFarland I think will all get plenty of touches one way or another at UMD this year

Shonuff,

If others think that is selfish, then selfish, in my mind, is what you need to be. Everybody is fighting for the same scholarship opportunities. 3200 +/- get that FBS opportunity every year...maybe another 1000 get a chance to be a PWO or recruited walk on....how many hundreds of thousands think they deserve that opportunity each year? Other than that top1%, you have to out work everyone in the recruiting game as well as the classroom and the field. I tell players to fight for every opportunity that you can because in my mind I would think the guy lining up next to me and the guy lining up across from me are doing the same thing and if they aren't, shame on them. That would be the attitude I would have in todays world because I wouldn't want to look back 20 years with regrets about what could have been.

Youre right! That level requires one to be the total package on the field, off the field and in the classroom. And for many they played a couple positions extremely well and were multi-sport athletes.

Your right, the pickings are slim....Running backs I can think of

Ben Tate @ Auburn

Lamont Jordan @ UMD...but that may be a little more than a decade or so

Marcus Mason started at ILL but ended up doing well at Youngstown State

Tavon Austin and Michael Campanero....great HS backs that played WR in College

I think Harrison, Johnson, Funk and even McFarland I think will all get plenty of touches one way or another at UMD this year

Tavon Austin should have gotten more snaps at RB while at WVU. Austin had one of the best games ever in college football back ion November 17, 2012. From the Smoking Musket blog:

In the Oklahoma game, Tavon set a school record with 344 yards rushing on 21 carries (16.4 yards per carry), 4 catches for 82 yards, 8 kick returns for 146 yards to give him 572 all-purpose yards. Tavon came 8 yards from breaking the NCAA record for all-purpose yards in a single game.

Tavon shredded the #12 Sooners that night like he shredded Maryland HS football teams during his legendary HS career. I don't know if any Maryland-bred college running back ever had a game like that in college.

Tavon Austin should have gotten more snaps at RB while at WVU. Austin had one of the best games ever in college football back ion November 17, 2012. From the Smoking Musket blog:

In the Oklahoma game, Tavon set a school record with 344 yards rushing on 21 carries (16.4 yards per carry), 4 catches for 82 yards, 8 kick returns for 146 yards to give him 572 all-purpose yards. Tavon came 8 yards from breaking the NCAA record for all-purpose yards in a single game.

Tavon shredded the #12 Sooners that night like he shredded Maryland HS football teams during his legendary HS career. I don't know if any Maryland-bred college running back ever had a game like that in college.

Body wouldn't last imo

Best move he made career wise was to move to WR

Shonuff,

If others think that is selfish, then selfish, in my mind, is what you need to be. Everybody is fighting for the same scholarship opportunities. 3200 +/- get that FBS opportunity every year...maybe another 1000 get a chance to be a PWO or recruited walk on....how many hundreds of thousands think they deserve that opportunity each year? Other than that top1%, you have to out work everyone in the recruiting game as well as the classroom and the field. I tell players to fight for every opportunity that you can because in my mind I would think the guy lining up next to me and the guy lining up across from me are doing the same thing and if they aren't, shame on them. That would be the attitude I would have in todays world because I wouldn't want to look back 20 years with regrets about what could have been.

I agree with you...100%.  But some believe worrying about your recruitment, especially prior to your senior season, just automatically means you only thinking of yourself and not the team.

GA,

Speaking of Cyrus, you think he bounces back this year? Do you think he sticks with the Pats or goes some place else? Still think he's got a bright future.

Speaking of bounce backs, who is Gilman playing out of conference this year? There going to shock a lot of people this year, I know they did last year.

Body wouldn't last imo

Best move he made career wise was to move to WR

I didn't ask for 25-30 rushes per game. I asked for more snaps. 10-12 per game would have satisfied this Mountaineer fan. I don't think he would've gotten too beat up with his skillset and elusiveness.

GA,

Speaking of Cyrus, you think he bounces back this year? Do you think he sticks with the Pats or goes some place else? Still think he's got a bright future.

Speaking of bounce backs, who is Gilman playing out of conference this year? There going to shock a lot of people this year, I know they did last year.

They start with Gonzaga (8-26), @ Good Counsel (9-2) and Georgetown Prep (9-9).  They could easily start 0-3 for DC, maybe 1-2.  The Gonzaga game will be an early test for both teams that have somewhat depleted rosters.  Edge goes to the coaching staff and off-season program.

They start with Gonzaga (8-26), @ Good Counsel (9-2) and Georgetown Prep (9-9).  They could easily start 0-3 for DC, maybe 1-2.  The Gonzaga game will be an early test for both teams that have somewhat depleted rosters.  Edge goes to the coaching staff and off-season program.

Gilman doesn't have a depleted roster! They return their whole team almost and bring back who I think is the most talented player in the whole MIAA in Spanky, who sat out the year. They will have three of the best players in the state with Booker, Madison and Spanky. Question is, who will be coaching and the line.

Gilman doesn't have a depleted roster! They return their whole team almost and bring back who I think is the most talented player in the whole MIAA in Spanky, who sat out the year. They will have three of the best players in the state with Booker, Madison and Spanky. Question is, who will be coaching and the line.

The term "depleted roster" is meant relative to each schools past.  I am not taking any shots here whatsoever. That being said, not sure how much to put into returning a roster that last year went what, 2-9 compared to the year prior, after having lost a lot of talent to a very public transfer issue.  They played a tough schedule.  And yes, the three guys you mention are in fact good players.  So what else is there?  They still need 19 more guys...  By Gilman's high standards, that's a depleted roster is all I was suggesting.  Same for Gonzaga.  That game - in Week 0 - will be about coaching.

Posted (edited)

I started thinking about my post and I cannot come up with very many running backs from Maryland in the last 10 years that were regular starters at a power 5 school. Most of the ones that I'm thinking of started for maybe a year and then eventually transferred.  Can you guys name any?   Maryland has had some great running backs, but it just shows how tough it is at that position. 

Darn I don't want to date myself and I know you said within the last 10 years BUT.......   Chuck Foreman was my brother's ideal as I grew up and he wore Chuck's number.

Edited by DayWalker

The term "depleted roster" is meant relative to each schools past.  I am not taking any shots here whatsoever. That being said, not sure how much to put into returning a roster that last year went what, 2-9 compared to the year prior, after having lost a lot of talent to a very public transfer issue.  They played a tough schedule.  And yes, the three guys you mention are in fact good players.  So what else is there?  They still need 19 more guys...  By Gilman's high standards, that's a depleted roster is all I was suggesting.  Same for Gonzaga.  That game - in Week 0 - will be about coaching.

Honestly, I have no clue how good Gilman will be for a number of reasons. They are the great unknown. Like I said, I don't even know who the coach will be. They will have talent, but unless the QB and line has gotten progressively better, they will still have issues winning games.

Fylde5 - Parents just want to be able to state their kids are playing at the top level...instead of thinking about the best fit for their kids.  I agree with your advice to players and parents.

What matters most with regard to athletics is what is important to the kid. After academics what do they want from the college experience. Some want to pursue that big D1 school experience at all costs, others want to play and have an impact on their college team regardless of level. Very few can have both, an impact on a top D1 program. It happens in all sports. Going back a number of years a top basketball player named Pete Budko whose dad played for the Baltimore Bullits. Pete had offers everywhere and chose the top program at the time, Dean Smith's Tar Heels. Pete was great but became one of Dean's famous "second five" put on the court to harass the opposing team and give the "first five" a rest. He never started but he got his National Championship ring. Then there was Eric Frees a great running back that I coached at Western Maryland. He was a record setter. He wanted to play big time D1 ball and U of Maryland offered him so he transferred and proceeded to play a backup role for the Terps. Then there are kids like my daughter that played in a top high school lacrosse program that in her senior year sent five of her teammates to top D1 programs. She could have gone and been part of that but chose the small school route because she wanted to not only play but have an impact. She wound up making all conference multiple times, academic All American and is now a college lacrosse coach. What I am saying is that none of them were wrong. They chose what was best for them. The problem is that many kids feel pressured to make a decision that they regret later. Football is in the forefront but it happens in all sports and both genders. One of the toughest things to do as a coach is to have honest conversations with the parents of kids about realistic collegiate expectations because "no one is as good as little Johnny" in their mind. I am still coaching HS lacrosse and it has become an enormous problem. Every year there is always one set of parents that contact the AD and I get called into a meeting with them because "little Johnny" is not being featured in our offense and he is obviously the best ever to come through our program. They know this because as a sophomore he has already received recruiting letters from colleges. Not only that but at a summer tournament, a college coach mentioned to them "he looked good".  I know that many of you understand this, the problem is "most" parents do not. Sorry for my rant guys. I will now step off of my soap box.

What matters most with regard to athletics is what is important to the kid. After academics what do they want from the college experience. Some want to pursue that big D1 school experience at all costs, others want to play and have an impact on their college team regardless of level. Very few can have both, an impact on a top D1 program. It happens in all sports. Going back a number of years a top basketball player named Pete Budko whose dad played for the Baltimore Bullits. Pete had offers everywhere and chose the top program at the time, Dean Smith's Tar Heels. Pete was great but became one of Dean's famous "second five" put on the court to harass the opposing team and give the "first five" a rest. He never started but he got his National Championship ring. Then there was Eric Frees a great running back that I coached at Western Maryland. He was a record setter. He wanted to play big time D1 ball and U of Maryland offered him so he transferred and proceeded to play a backup role for the Terps. Then there are kids like my daughter that played in a top high school lacrosse program that in her senior year sent five of her teammates to top D1 programs. She could have gone and been part of that but chose the small school route because she wanted to not only play but have an impact. She wound up making all conference multiple times, academic All American and is now a college lacrosse coach. What I am saying is that none of them were wrong. They chose what was best for them. The problem is that many kids feel pressured to make a decision that they regret later. Football is in the forefront but it happens in all sports and both genders. One of the toughest things to do as a coach is to have honest conversations with the parents of kids about realistic collegiate expectations because "no one is as good as little Johnny" in their mind. I am still coaching HS lacrosse and it has become an enormous problem. Every year there is always one set of parents that contact the AD and I get called into a meeting with them because "little Johnny" is not being featured in our offense and he is obviously the best ever to come through our program. They know this because as a sophomore he has already received recruiting letters from colleges. Not only that but at a summer tournament, a college coach mentioned to them "he looked good".  I know that many of you understand this, the problem is "most" parents do not. Sorry for my rant guys. I will now step off of my soap box.

Don't be sorry for your rant!!  Your "rant" was excellent info....especially coming from a high school coach.

Posted (edited)

Wow...was surprise to see this popped up on my cell that QB DeJuan Ellis de-commit from Va Tech!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2707373-4-star-qb-prospect-dejuan-ellis-decommits-from-virginia-tech

Well, smart to realize that QB will not be his position at the next level. I have a sneaky suspicion that the position move(don't remember many kids announcing their own position they will be recruited at on Twitter), has more to do with rankings and recognition than anything else. He will rise up the charts I believe as an athlete. He just ran 10.55 in 100, that's blazing for a junior. Add the over 23 feet long jump, the kid is an ELITE athlete.

Maybe this will now allow Dom to start the other kid at QB. Telling you, they will be a very scary if this happens. Won't beat SFA or DeMatha but will make the games much more interesting.

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM